Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Differences in bodies

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Differences in bodies

Hi I have a 98 firebird formula, and I was digging through some of the stickies and noticed that there were some differences in the front bumper covers. I know there is a large difference between the 93-97 and 98-02 cars but I happened to see that mine has 4 lights in next to eachother (fog and turn signals) and others do not.

What years or packages were different in the LS cars?

Also, is there a thread I'm missing with some Ram Air info? I tried to search and didn't see any. I wanted to see how it works, like is button actuated like they used to or what? Also is there any conversion threads?

I searched all of this and didn't come up with much.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The formula bumper is the same as the v6 firebird from 98-02. The Trans Am bumper has the fog lights separated and are placed in the center of the bumper light my avatar picture.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also want to read through this thread-->https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...questions.html.

There are loads of information on this forum..
Old 03-26-2014, 09:01 PM
Teching In

My apologies, I thumbed through that already.. I apparently didn't pay much attention to it.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The body shell structure and doors are identical from 93-02 no changes. Only differences are front clip and power train 98-02 too many other little changes to list year by year but all panels are interchangeable chev to chev and pont to pont
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by cph15
Also, is there a thread I'm missing with some Ram Air info? I tried to search and didn't see any. I wanted to see how it works, like is button actuated like they used to or what? Also is there any conversion threads?

I searched all of this and didn't come up with much.
I'm trying to remember of any old-school "button actuated" ram air system, all I can think of is the vacuum-solenoid actuated doors that would open up for more cold air, like the '70-'72 Chevelle SS cowl induction hoods, the '69 Hurst Olds, '70-'72 Olds W30s & W31s and some Mopar cars (the GTX "Air Grabber" that would pop-up when you stomp the gas comes to mind). None of these were "button actuated", but Pontiac DID have an option on GTOs that included a **** (like used for a manual choke) that would open some cutouts built into the mufflers that would open up the exhaust. Pontiac even had a TV commercial showing how this worked to enhance the "cool" factor of the GTO on cruise night (I'm sure Jim Wangers had a hand in this one).

In any case, the WS6 "Ram Air" system is open all the time, feeding cool outside air through a hood scoop to an air filter and intake plumbing to the throttle body on the intake manifold. No vacuum solenoids, air doors or buttons.

MANY people have "converted" their non "Ram Air" car by adding a WS6 or aftermarket hood and appropriate intake filter/plumbing. This is a little more difficult in the LT1 cars.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

4th gen Trans Ams had different bumpers, side skirts and the high rise spoiler. Other than that, its the same.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
I'm trying to remember of any old-school "button actuated" ram air system, all I can think of is the vacuum-solenoid actuated doors that would open up for more cold air, like the '70-'72 Chevelle SS cowl induction hoods, the '69 Hurst Olds, '70-'72 Olds W30s & W31s and some Mopar cars (the GTX "Air Grabber" that would pop-up when you stomp the gas comes to mind). None of these were "button actuated", but Pontiac DID have an option on GTOs that included a **** (like used for a manual choke) that would open some cutouts built into the mufflers that would open up the exhaust. Pontiac even had a TV commercial showing how this worked to enhance the "cool" factor of the GTO on cruise night (I'm sure Jim Wangers had a hand in this one).

In any case, the WS6 "Ram Air" system is open all the time, feeding cool outside air through a hood scoop to an air filter and intake plumbing to the throttle body on the intake manifold. No vacuum solenoids, air doors or buttons.

MANY people have "converted" their non "Ram Air" car by adding a WS6 or aftermarket hood and appropriate intake filter/plumbing. This is a little more difficult in the LT1 cars.
I guess button actuated wasn't the right word I should have used, I was referring to the **** styled ones in the GTO. You are right, I believe they were pulled to enguage like the manual chokes.

Thank you for all of your replies! This does help.

Quick Reply: Differences in bodies