Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Meeting with Adjuster

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Meeting with Adjuster

So my black 95 Trans Am was in a hit and run. Looks like someone backed over the front of my car, scratching up my front end, hood, and passenger head light. They left a note under my wiper, but it got rained on. After a week, my insurance company is finally agreeing to pay for the damages and is sending an adjuster to meet with me.

I'm wondering what you guys think a fair price for the damage would be. And I'm wondering if they will pay to paint the whole car, since the front end will be a newer, shinier shade of black compared to the rest of the car. Do any of you guys have any past experience with this? I'll see if I can get some pictures posted of the damage.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:31 AM
Teching In

Old 12-05-2015, 09:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

With older cars most insurance companies like to total them out, as proper painting costs quite a bit, never mind the damage. Your damage isn't that bad to have them 'total' it but it never hurts to be prepared in case you hear that word. Looking at your photos, it appears you have some serious paint issues to start off with. There is no way a paint shop can 'fix' just the repair without painting most or all of the car. Don't expect the insurance company to do that unless you have an incredible adjuster or coverage.
The adjuster's job, 9 times out of 10, is to save $$ for his boss, the insurance company. He may 'lowball' you, and you will have to decline initially. They will come back with a new offer once you say the initial money is not acceptable, although it may take a few days. Calls to the company will help out too. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease."
Perhaps you will get a decent adjuster right off the bat. It happens once in awhile. It's better to be prepared anyway.
Ref cost, on a car that did NOT have issues to start with, there is easily hundreds of dollars in proper paint repairs needed in addition to replacing the pieces damaged. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2015, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

As stated be prepared to hear words total. The ACV on that car is very low meaning street value on equivalent age mileage condition vehicle is less than the cost to repair.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You don't need to worry about a paint match or (probably) the car being totaled. Your old paint doesn't fade. If it looks dull - that's just the clear coat and a proper polish will have it looking like new - and like a newly painted panel.

With no structural damage, the repair bill shouldn't be too bad. (Any repair panels will be used.) If anything, you may have lucked out here in that your problem hood will get a new coat of paint.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Teching In

I don't particularly want a new front end, I would prefer to keep the original. As far as the hood, I feel like it's going to need to be replaced. The area around the vent is pretty bad, as well as the area in between the hood and front end. It looks like they were pushed together pretty hard because small pieces chipped off both.

I worry about the whole total situation. My car has relatively low miles for the year, 123k. Since I've bought this car I've planned on keeping it forever. How easy/cheap is it to buy your car back if they choose to total it?
Old 12-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

It depends on the salvage value. I still don't think you are looking over $2k here. If they total it, you'd have to pay most of your check to get the car back, only leaving you with a few hundred for repairs.
Old 12-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Save the manuals!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Do you have to meet with an adjuster? If you can take it to a body shop who can do estimates for your insurance company, that might serve you better. For example, they can work with you to find parts off of another black car to save you paint charges. Things like that can take you below the totalling threshold and an adjuster wont be able to plan for those types of things...
Old 12-08-2015, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its easy to buy a totaled car back, Ive done it. Its all going to come down to the numbers they give you, and how much you want to keep your car. Good luck, and let us know what happens!
Old 12-10-2015, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Update! The adjuster gave $2100 for the damages, but after my $500 deductible I'll be getting $1600. I'm just relieved that it wasn't totaled.

My uncle is a body man, so he'll be doing the work. The car is more than likely going to get completely painted; I'll start a new thread when it does! I've found a sweet ram air hood for $250, saving money and upgrading my cars look. Also my uncle said he can repair the original front end, I was worried about getting stuck with an aftermarket front end without the firebird on the nose!
Old 12-11-2015, 06:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 542 Likes on 389 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Now that's the kind of update we like to hear about. It all sounds good and very promising. You certainly are making something positive out of a bad experience.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 173 Likes on 155 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Sounds like your lucky day!
Old 12-14-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

did you end up with the deductible because they couldn't find the other person?
suck they took that away from you

Quick Reply: Meeting with Adjuster