Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Manual Steering rack w/ road racing????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Manual Steering rack w/ road racing????

well i was looking into the manual steering racks does anyone have this done on the road race cars???? if its just as good as the power steering ill def go w/ it for the weight differance.

thanks
brandon
Old 02-19-2007, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If the gearing on it is such that you can't really tell the difference, then go for it.
But if it's NOT design properly, it'll be a royal PITA to contend with on a technical style track.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

im new to this manual rack stuff, are you talking about the gears in the rack?
right now my car is a street/strip car but want to make it a street/strip/road race, if the manual rack wont work i prolly wont get it then.

so the majority of ppl are runningnthe stock power steering then?

thanks
brandon
Old 02-19-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I was referring to the gearing on the steering rack.
It's really subjective excluding the gained benefit of weight loss.
A power steering cooler would take care of any possible heat related failures, but that would add a few pounds.
Pro's of manual steering: weight loss
Con's of manual steering: physical fatigue is a greater threat over longer time periods especially the more grip you have
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've had the misfortune of having a belt come off my LT1 CMC car. that caused my power stearing to not work. this happened @ mid ohio and a had to runa 20 minute race this way. it was all i could do to turn the car. 16x8 wheels w/ 255/50 toyo RA1's. there is no way i would drive a non-powered rack on track.
gotany links tothe product in which you are refering?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:39 PM
10 Second Club

im referring to the madman & co raing or the Flaming river one.

Madman just PMd me back saying that all the road race cars he's seen have all be power steering.

-brandon
Old 02-20-2007, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm assuming it takes more turns of the (steering) wheel to get the same wheel/tire angle vs a power unit. If thats the case, you will hate it in a tight autocross, and strongly dislike it on any road course.

IMHO keep the quick ratio power rack. Cut weight/spend $ elsewhere. This is a drag race only piece.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

In AutoX the powersteering rack is the best choice for sure unless you are driving a very very lightweight car. You simply can turn that fast in the sharp corners.

With road racing you can go either way IMO. Sometimes the power steering rack doesn't provide enuf feedback at speed as the pump is working too hard.

I run a powersteering rack (looped lines) and have removed the reservoir/pump/cooling lines etc. I run 285/30/18's up front (granted my car is only 2800lbs) and the effort is high at low speeds while parking/turning; however the feedback is great at speed once you are doing 20mph or faster. After (4) 20 minute sessions on the road course I am definately worked though.

I'm only 5'7" and 145lbs... so either you guys like to drive with your pinkies/fingertips or I'm He-Man.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnx7
In AutoX the powersteering rack is the best choice for sure unless you are driving a very very lightweight car. You simply can turn that fast in the sharp corners.

With road racing you can go either way IMO. Sometimes the power steering rack doesn't provide enuf feedback at speed as the pump is working too hard.

I run a powersteering rack (looped lines) and have removed the reservoir/pump/cooling lines etc. I run 285/30/18's up front (granted my car is only 2800lbs) and the effort is high at low speeds while parking/turning; however the feedback is great at speed once you are doing 20mph or faster. After (4) 20 minute sessions on the road course I am definately worked though.

I'm only 5'7" and 145lbs... so either you guys like to drive with your pinkies/fingertips or I'm He-Man.
There you go...lose the weight and HP drain of the pump and lines, keep the quick ratio, and your cash.
Try this, and keep your parts to put back on later if you change your mind!
WIN-WIN
Old 02-21-2007, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gnx7

thats a great idea.....any pics or a how to by any chance?

thanks
brandon
Old 02-21-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think road racing w/o a manual rack is almost frightning... with a manual rack the feel of the road is 10x better!
Old 02-21-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ i should mention that im not a road racer, its just my personal Opinion
Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

No power steering SUCKS!!!!

These arent 1,900 pound hondas were racing, and most of the time we use nice wide tires up front making steering harder....

Im putting the power steering back into my car, its pointless to keep it out...
Old 03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Resident

Power steering on a road race car is all about control. For the few pounds you save, it's not worth deleting it. You will be able to control the car much better with it, you won't be fighting the wheel, just putting it where you want it.
Old 03-15-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

how heavy will your car be in race trim?? I think that is kind of a determining factor of which to choose, and also how much street driving you do. If your driving a pig of a car like mine then you will kick yourself in the *** if you take it out, but if your car is 3K #'s you should be okay with manual steering.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my Camaro Mustang Challenge 95 Camaro clocks in @ 2900 lbs w/ no driver and no fuel. there is no way i would ever consider driving this car on purpose w/ no power stearing. i did it once cause i had too, pray you never have to.
Old 03-15-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

was that with a manual steering rack, or with broken power steering. it makes a big difference, you are fighting the power steering the whole time if it is broken. With a manual steering rack your not fighting anything, and you normally have a lower steering ratio ie. more turns of the steering wheel to equal the same degree of turn at the wheels.

Quick Reply: Manual Steering rack w/ road racing????