Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEW Patriot Heads, Now burning 2 qt oil per 5-600 miles, gained 9 rwhp. What to do??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Patriot Heads, Now burning 2 qt oil per 5-600 miles, gained 9 rwhp. What to do??

Just had Patriot Performance 5.3L Stg 2 Heads on 02 Ws6 transam. Car has had a 1000 miles put on it since install.

Car initially made 395 rwhp /w all bolt ons and TSP 231/237 camshaft through 10-bolt, 3.42 gear, T56. Addition of Patriot Heads Stg 2 moved horepower to 404 rwhp. Car runs and drives fine, but it is burning 1 qt of oil every 300-500 miles minimum, it smokes alot and im very unhappy. Local LS1 shop did the installation and immediatly it was obvious the car was burning oil. It blows quite a bit of smoke and its definatly oil smoke. Everything was checked, only possibility is valve seals or valve guides bad.

Dynoed the car afterwards and it picked up 9 rwhp.....veryvery dissappointed.
Added LSX intake intake and made some more power but still 30-40 rhwp under what was estimated by Texas Speed and performance with thier setup.

Patriot Performance has offered to send me some new valve seals but its going to cost me $360 just to replace those in labor which seems completely unfair to me being the end user. Plus i dont want these heads period if they are going to make very low horsepower gains. At the least if im going to spend that much on a valve seal swap, Id like patriot to upgrade me to a set of thier ls6 stg 2 heads or somethings that going to make some horsepower or id push for them to give me a refund.....

What should I do here? I dont want to be dissappointed with Patriot and id really like to give them a chance to take care of me before I would ever speak bad of them. Has anyone run into the same problem and have a solution or idea on how I should handle this ? ( in case im dealing with this wrong)

For TSP or Patriots reference, the name on the head order is Jesus Hernandez.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

PLEASE TELL ME I'M NOT HEARING THIS!!!!!! I just sent my money out for the pp 5.3 stage 2 heads. I hope that this is just an isolated incident and that they make things right with you. Man I hope everything goes well with my set up and install.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Launching!

You must have a earlier set. I just received 2 sets of these for mine and my sons cars. We will have mine on this weekend and see how they run. Definately looks far better than the gtp's i pulled off mine. I'll post my results on the first set.

Last edited by Dave00C5; 02-24-2004 at 10:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In the situation you are stateing, it sounds like the valve seal are allowing alot of leaking in the cylinder. Best way to tell is to do a leak down test. These heads have made upwards of 45 rwhp with nothing more than the addition of the heads. If the car isn't getting any compression, it can't make more power. I'd change the seals and your power should be fine. How new are these heads and were they bolted on directly out of the box?
Shoulder Shaker- I wouldn't worry, this sounds like a isolated incodent.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Restricted User

I dont know about the seals being the issue and losing that much compression. Sounds a little off to me. The seals for the oil issue, could be, but I thought PP used new seals on all heads sold? I would say the guides since it may have slipped past them. Check your plugs, are both sides wet?

Oh ****, forgot, how about the rocker bolt bosses? Did the shop installing them seal them? If not, it will suck in oil, a good amount depending on how many are sucking, and that will lower your power output. Pull a rocker bolt or two and look for evidnce of silcone sealant on the threads, no silicone, thats the problem.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
In the situation you are stateing, it sounds like the valve seal are allowing alot of leaking in the cylinder. Best way to tell is to do a leak down test. These heads have made upwards of 45 rwhp with nothing more than the addition of the heads. If the car isn't getting any compression, it can't make more power. I'd change the seals and your power should be fine. How new are these heads and were they bolted on directly out of the box?
Seals aren't gonna do a darned thing if the clearance between the valve stem and the valve guide is excessive. I would pull the heads and have them checked out. Before I did anything though I would talk to Terry about it.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAT3
I dont know about the seals being the issue and losing that much compression. Sounds a little off to me. The seals for the oil issue, could be, but I thought PP used new seals on all heads sold? I would say the guides since it may have slipped past them. Check your plugs, are both sides wet?

Oh ****, forgot, how about the rocker bolt bosses? Did the shop installing them seal them? If not, it will suck in oil, a good amount depending on how many are sucking, and that will lower your power output. Pull a rocker bolt or two and look for evidnce of silcone sealant on the threads, no silicone, thats the problem.
Good call, It sounds more to me like a installation issue than anything. It has to be loosing compression from somewhere. Like I said earlier, a leak down will be the best test.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the re-assurance about the heads. I hate to see NAWZ having problems but I hope it was the install instead of the heads. Hey NAWZ good luck with getting the problem solved. Be sure to let us know the out come.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:53 AM
Restricted User

When my buddy installed his PP heads, we even talked about how the rocker arm bolts on the intake side where going to need sealing. But, he forgot as we talked and shot the crap. A couple weeks later and some oil on the plugs, detonation from the oil with Nitrous, we talked again, and decided it was a good time to check and ultimately seal the bolts. No problems since, right Drew778?

Good luck.

Charlie.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol you arent the only one
Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 AM
Teching In

These heads came from texas speed and performance 3 weeks ago.
Old 02-25-2004, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Good call, It sounds more to me like a installation issue than anything. It has to be loosing compression from somewhere. Like I said earlier, a leak down will be the best test.
Thread sealant was used on all rocker bolts because possible oil consumption into intake runner etc...

I will have a leak down done first before I start making more phone calls to Terry @ patriot.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Has any new tuning been done. How is the timing. Are you getting any knock retard. What is the compression ratio. I agree that a leakdown is a great way to look for problems.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:05 AM
10 Second Club

what are your other mods along with the cam and heads?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Do a search. Both of your issues (low numbers and oil consumption) are common problems with these heads. Hopefully Terry will take care of you.

Shawn
Old 02-25-2004, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CAT3
When my buddy installed his PP heads, we even talked about how the rocker arm bolts on the intake side where going to need sealing. But, he forgot as we talked and shot the crap. A couple weeks later and some oil on the plugs, detonation from the oil with Nitrous, we talked again, and decided it was a good time to check and ultimately seal the bolts. No problems since, right Drew778?

Good luck.

Charlie.
Is this something that you have to do with all aftermarket heads or just heads from PP ?

thanks,
Crowley
Old 02-25-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hope you get it resolved quickly!

Get in touch with Terry at PP

Old 02-25-2004, 09:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Crowley
Is this something that you have to do with all aftermarket heads or just heads from PP ?

thanks,
Crowley

All heads
Old 02-25-2004, 09:07 AM
FormerVendor

Bosnian, cant you elaborate on this guys problem??
Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 AM
8 Second Club

I had the same issue with some cracked valve seals. I replaced them with Fel-Pro Viton seals and all was good. I was pissed having to replace the seals on brand new heads but I sure wasn't going to pull them off.

Gained 30 rwhp / 30 rwtq with the LS6 style heads alone though.

Terry, I'm begging you, get rid of those teflon seals!

Quick Reply: NEW Patriot Heads, Now burning 2 qt oil per 5-600 miles, gained 9 rwhp. What to do??