General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Convincing parents for an owned C7 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Convincing parents for an owned C7 corvette

Soo as the title states I've been trying to convince them for a c7 Corvette. originally I wanted the c5 but my mom said no due to it not being an automatic . She said It was gonna **** me off if I was in traffic having to switch the gears every five seconds just to scoot up not even an inch. I also asked my dad as well but he told me that i'd have to work really hard for it but even he's on the fence about me having one. he showed me a whole beetle and said i'd look cute in it but not to sound too spoiled or nothing .. that is not my kind of car what so ever. my heart has been set on corvettes for several months now, i've done my research on almost everything, I have jobs lined up to at least rack up 10-15k over the summer, etc. Note, this will be my first car but I have driving experience. I learned how to drive in a dodge charger and have been driving it since with no accidents besides a minor scrape on the bumper. I have enough self control to drive a fast car because realistically I don't care for speed that much I just love the way it looks and sounds. But yeah that's it. I just needed some perspective because no one around me is invested in cars as much as I am
Old 05-21-2024, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

Convincing is never easy and I'm surprised that you are even close to getting their approval. Your Mom has good points about the manual in traffic. I've never enjoyed any of my manual trannys in traffic, even when I was young.
I would say paying for everything yourself, from the car to insurance coverage, would sho how serious you are. Good luck!!
Old 05-21-2024, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Have you checked on insurance rates for that Corvette? And will you have some money saved for repairs---because it WILL need some repairs.
When my son was 16, I bought him an older truck that had a lot of problems. Got rid of that and made a deal with him---I would buy him a new mid size car if he would pay for half of it plus the insurance. That turned out to be a problem because of odd jobs and school/sports. If you have the money for everything and the self control to stay out of trouble, it is just like any other car. It only takes a few seconds to get into a lot of trouble that won't go away. You should make a list of expenses related to owning the car including cost of the vehicle, tax, tires, tag renewal, oil changes, gas for about 6 months and unforseen breakdowns and a new battery. Show that to your parents to show them you are serious about being responsible.
Good Luck
From an old guy
The following users liked this post:
NC01TA (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 168 Likes on 111 Posts

Welcome to the slippery slope of performance cars! You can spend money on a whole new level hahaha. You should definitely look up what insurance rates are....
Remember a C6 corvette in 2008 had an LS3 and that is a great bang for the buck. They are also a bit lighter than the C7.

If insurance rates are out of control... you could always buy an LS swapped car which is the best of both worlds (old school lighter car with modern driveline). I've been into engine swapped cars for 25+ years.

If there is one thing that is for sure... you need to learn how to work on your own car or at least for the basics: oil changes, tire rotations, brake pad changes etc
Old 05-21-2024, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

When my son was 18 he wanted a Pontiac G8. He had a job and could kind of afford it. He has paid for everything and we both work on it. It has been a great experience for both of us. Over the years it has morfed into an 11 second car and sees track time regularly. 10 years later the car is still in great shape. I think the only way for you to really appreciate the car is for you to work for it and pay for everything yourself.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dbunke:
NC01TA (05-21-2024), Woodylyf767 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

I never had to convince my parents. I walked my *** to and from work until I saved enough money to buy what I wanted on my own. I walked to a car lot and picked out a 2002 z28 Camaro with 12k miles for $16,500. Called to get insurance and was quoted $485 a month. I apologized to the salesman, I couldn’t afford the insurance.

So I walked my *** two cities over to another car lot and bought a 1998 V6 firebird with 70k miles for $6500. Insurance was $150 a month, I signed the papers paid the man. 2 years into ownership I bought a 2001 z28 Camaro with 32k miles for $9000; insurance was $200 a month for both cars, nice how 2 years with no incidents can save so much money.

Coincidentally 20 years later, my parents enjoy time with me cause I haven’t asked them for a thing unlike my siblings (whom my parents bought their cars for them) get them on the phone daily asking for money.

The More you can rely on yourself, the better your life will turn out.
The following 5 users liked this post by Finkledbody:
Che70velle (05-21-2024), Jake Wade (05-29-2024), Nathan C (05-21-2024), NC01TA (05-21-2024), strutaeng (05-22-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 04:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 155 Likes on 114 Posts

I'll be blunt:
" If you have to ASK, then you can't afford it "
The following 2 users liked this post by Full Power:
Nathan C (05-22-2024), wannafbody (05-26-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dwemsie
Soo as the title states I've been trying to convince them for a c7 Corvette. originally I wanted the c5 but my mom said no due to it not being an automatic . She said It was gonna **** me off if I was in traffic having to switch the gears every five seconds just to scoot up not even an inch. I also asked my dad as well but he told me that i'd have to work really hard for it but even he's on the fence about me having one. he showed me a whole beetle and said i'd look cute in it but not to sound too spoiled or nothing .. that is not my kind of car what so ever. my heart has been set on corvettes for several months now, i've done my research on almost everything, I have jobs lined up to at least rack up 10-15k over the summer, etc. Note, this will be my first car but I have driving experience. I learned how to drive in a dodge charger and have been driving it since with no accidents besides a minor scrape on the bumper. I have enough self control to drive a fast car because realistically I don't care for speed that much I just love the way it looks and sounds. But yeah that's it. I just needed some perspective because no one around me is invested in cars as much as I am
How old are you, how crowded are the roads? Those things will influence insurance rates, and how much of a pain manuals are. What is the budget?

All mothers will say something along the lines of "get the auto", and some fathers also. That said, I've lived in North Jersey (Bergen County), and the Philly metro area for most of my life, and most of my cars have been manuals, driven through some wretched traffic, and blizzards - it doesn't bother me.

Set a goal, work, save your money, get a beater to get to and from work, then buy what you really want.
Old 05-22-2024, 12:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by dwemsie
I just needed some perspective because no one around me is invested in cars as much as I am
If you need perspective, look no further than this post:

Originally Posted by Full Power
I'll be blunt:
" If you have to ASK, then you can't afford it "
This aspect is the most important consideration of the entire situation, and the above advice is a great life lesson which applies to more than just car purchases.
Old 05-22-2024, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Oh to be young again and be told no. My mom did the same thing way back when. I just accepted that they knew what was best for me and I slowly built their trust and it wasn't 2 years later I had a car that would pull the front wheels off the ground. They know you better than we do. Obviously they are looking out for you and you may not think it now, but we all were young and sometimes its best to listen to the people that care most about you. I know I would be devastated if one of my sons was seriously hurt because I let him have something he not capable of handling. My sons will get a LS based truck and either like or walk. I remember at my age and you do some really stupid crap that not only can hurt you, but others. My advice is listen to your parents and then when you are able to make your own decisions 18 then you control your story.
NC01TA (05-23-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 319 Likes on 234 Posts

I'm a bit of a debbie downer but I can't believe any insurance company will insure a 16-18 year old driving a C7. If your parents let you have a C7 and put it on their insurance policy it's a HUGE risk for them if something bad happens while you driving the car and they get sued.
The following 2 users liked this post by LS1 TJ:
Treburkulosis (05-22-2024), wannafbody (05-26-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 TJ
I'm a bit of a debbie downer but I can't believe any insurance company will insure a 16-18 year old driving a C7. If your parents let you have a C7 and put it on their insurance policy it's a HUGE risk for them if something bad happens while you driving the car and they get sued.
Oh I am sure they are nice and high.
Old 05-24-2024, 07:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 506 Likes on 365 Posts

@dwemsie did you get anything out of all our responses??
Old 05-24-2024, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't think you should get any kind of a performance car let alone a C7 Corvette.
Just by the wording of your post I don't think you are mature enough to own such a car.
I am not bashing you at all, just pointing out that as a rule, most young guy's are impulsive, and don't really have a grasp of the kind of long term ramification's can come from owning/driving such a high powered vehicle.
Now I know that there are several young that are exceptions to the rule, but the rule still applies.
Old 05-24-2024, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 843 Likes on 645 Posts

Unless you can afford to buy it yourself and pay the insurance, the answer is NO.
Old 05-25-2024, 03:56 PM
Launching!

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
Default ON the HILL in LB CAL

HI, When I was 20 years old, I worked for HMS in Long Beach.
I worked on Ford Pantera cars removing the engine/transaxle assemblies, the task took one-hour per car.
When Bill Mason left, I was chosen to replace him as the Pantera test driver.
Thus to drive as fast as I could on top of Signal Hill.
Tell your parents that a "stick" car gets MUCH BETTER Gas Mileage and the brake pads will last longer.
Lance
gnx7 (05-25-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 897 Likes on 639 Posts

Mom, the internet agrees with me and you should give me what I want.

Kids these days...
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag (05-31-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 235 Likes on 174 Posts

Kids these days get c7 corvettes as a consideration is crazy to me, my first car was an 89 Eclipse I paid 700$ for and turned wrenches on just about every weekend. Learned alot about cars and also life lessons from that experience. My advice take the beetle and drive and appreciate that until later in life when you can afford something different out of your own pocket without having to ask.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy42088
Kids these days get c7 corvettes as a consideration is crazy to me, my first car was an 89 Eclipse I paid 700$ for and turned wrenches on just about every weekend. Learned alot about cars and also life lessons from that experience. My advice take the beetle and drive and appreciate that until later in life when you can afford something different out of your own pocket without having to ask.
That just conjured up her dad driving up the family truckster - "you didn't want the metallic pea?"
Old 05-26-2024, 08:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
That just conjured up her dad driving up the family truckster - "you didn't want the metallic pea?"
"You think you hate it now, but wait 'til you drive it."
JohnnyBs98WS6Rag (05-31-2024)

Quick Reply: Convincing parents for an owned C7 corvette