General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Convincing parents for an owned C7 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2024, 03:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,685 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Originally Posted by IGN-1A
OK SURE, My wife's FIRST car (AGE 16 YEARS) was a First edition 911 Porsche, her Birthday Gift/
The VALUE today is 500K.
SURE, at that time she lived in Hollywood (T Lake) next door to Bobby Daren and across the street from Bob Hope.
Where I live I have seen temps as cold as -25°F (even colder away from the city proper), single snow storms that have dumped ~20"+ of snow a couple of times, annual snow totals of as much as 50-80", and there is sometimes salt and slush on the road for as much as 5 months straight.

A 911 as primary/sole transportation is no way for anyone to survive in my area (or anywhere in the Midwest/Great Lakes), much less a teen, unless you plan to use Uber for at least 6 months of the year. And even if you tried, good luck getting a half million for that car after it's seen a few Chicago winters. Most of this country does not have the sort of weather and road conditions seen in southern CA.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Show of hands of who wrecked their first car.
I never crashed mine, but someone ran into me in an event that probably wouldn't have happened if I'd had more driving experience (meaning with more experience I likely could have anticipated and avoided that particular incident).
Old 05-31-2024, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

My first car was a brown, I mean real chocolate brown, Ford Crown Victoria, but I learned to drive in a 70's personal luxury Ford land yacht. I didn't have a lot of accidents, but people behind me did. Dad taught me to drive, and I remember getting the middle finger a lot. Some of those middle fingers even came from people in other cars.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 911 Porsche coolant not frozen

MY GUESS is that since there is NO COOLANT in a 911 to FREEZE and not an EV (battery stops in COLD)/
The 911 could work well in the cold.
MY GUESS is you have never driven on an ICE-covered road?
Remember, the heavy end of a vehicle, on ICE, will be the rear.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

This is a crazy long thread for not having the OP pop back in and make a reply, just sayin'. Seems pretty troll-ish, ya know?
The following users liked this post:
Tommy42088 (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

MY GUESS is you have never driven on an ICE-covered road?
The fact that you would even make such a guess after I've already mentioned my location and typical winter weather conditions definitely explains quite a bit about why we're having this debate in the first place.

Move to Chicago (or any other Great Lakes/Midwest/Upper East Coast city), buy a 911 for your 16 year old, have them drive it daily in the winter, and let us know how that goes. Then see how much that car brings on the open market after several years of it being their daily transportation in said climate.

No need to take my word for any of this, you can try it out for yourself.
Old 05-31-2024, 04:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts

Define wrecked. I never totaled it, did a fare amount of damage over many years but it stayed on the road until the flywheel warped/starter started grinding as I didn't have the tools or ability to change it out and it sat in that spot for 20 some years later. 1980 3/4 ton Chevy CD20 long wheel base with 5.7L and manual with LL. From the day I turned 16 to when I parked it in its final spot at around my 22nd birthday I had hit multiple deer, a horse, ended in more ditches than I can try to recall, found out what happens if you get onto dew coated grass going too fast, hitting a small tree, ended up with the battery wedged between the air breather and heater core, and so many other slight mishaps. Luckily the only contact with another car was when I backed into one my scout masters work truck one night, that resulted in me removing then losing my tailgate. I replaced the plastic grill with 1/4 inch hardware cloth and window screen after one of the deer collisions. Ended up replacing the drivers side door after one of the ditch excursions. I think anything less would have been destroyed by half the stuff I did in that truck. I am glad to have learned in something that was so slow and well built that it kept going. I learned so much keeping that thing on the road, even rebuilt the engine at about 120k miles when I graduated from high school. The most useful teacher was fixing and repairing all my own mistakes. After my 3rd clutch and 1 u-joint repair I stopped doing burnouts and engine braking. I would still do stupid stuff but I would pause and think about it first, if I had the cash and knew it was in the Chilton's manual to fix it, I would go for it. Luckily I have only wrecked/totaled 1 car, my second car, and a guy was in the center turn lane coming down way too fast when I was making a left out of a Hardee's parking lot. He t-boned my 88 Impala on the driver's side rear door to trunk, he was in a body shop's C1500 loaner on the way to pick up a car he wrecked a week earlier. I had to sign over the title for wrecker fee, which was B.S. but I had to get on to my next duty station so that was that.

Last edited by jybravo70; 05-31-2024 at 04:17 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-31-2024, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 235 Likes on 174 Posts

first few cars 🙌, when I say wrecked I don't mean totaled I mean fender benders, mail boxes, stop signs those sort of things
Y2K_Frenzy (05-31-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 226 Likes on 181 Posts

While I put the first dents in what ended up later being my first car, it was purely cosmetic. All these (pushing 50) years later, after the initial fix by the body shop and a later (amateur) repaint by me, the filler's cracked and reminds me of it every day I drive it.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

My first few were just fender benders too and those were in “cheap” cars. When I turned 18 though (senior in high school & working part time) I bought my first “expensive” vehicle. It was a ‘99 Ram in the year ‘00. I hit a tree in that one..
Here’s a good one though. One time when I was 16 dad let me drive his new Mustang to school. At the end of the day I got into trouble. I don’t remember what I was in trouble for but I know that I was mad. I was mad and I was driving like it. I dumped the clutch and floored it as I was pulling out the parking lot and the rear end came around on me. There were cars and school busses coming and they all had to stop. Someone called and told my parents about it too. He let me drive by myself prior to that when I still had a learners permit. You know what I did? I took it out to see how fast it would go. You’re going to kill yourself in a C7.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 05-31-2024 at 06:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Young teenagers are still a danger on the highways regardless of what they drive and a young teenager with a sports car."TROUBLE". I recall a time when I was 18 and driving home from work with my wife's older brother and doing well over 100mph when I came up on a line of four cars. I was coming up fast and seen I could pass but as soon as I pulled into the oncoming lane the tail car decided to also pass and my reaction was to take them on the oncoming lane's shoulder and that's what I did.

When I hit that shoulder I looked into my rearview and saw two lines of dirt flying as high as I could see and once I got back onto the pavement I put it to the floor passing everyone as I topped out that 77 LT 305 and a 2bl. I know we were going over 130 as the speedometer was pegged. No seatbelts and one mistake and we could've died that day..I miss be young and if I could only take what I've learned today and go back in time.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:00 PM
Launching!

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
I wanted a Mustang when I was out of college. The insurance was outrageous. I had to wait until 25 when my insurance company dropped the rates.
My rates in 01-04 were 5-600 every 6 months for liability. I couldn't afford full coverage on my Foxbody. At least gas was cheap lol.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 116 Likes on 91 Posts

I slide my foxbody into a ditch. It luckly didn't hurt it. I learned real quick about RWD cars and slick roads.
Old 06-01-2024, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Default Cart Driving School

My son Eric learned how to handle a four-wheel GO Cart and win races at Adams Raceway in Riverside, CA.
That was my method of a way to teach car control.
He never "crashed" his first car, a Mustang Turbo four-cylinder "pace car".
Old 06-01-2024, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

My son Eric learned how to handle a four-wheel GO Cart and win races at Adams Raceway in Riverside, CA.
That was my method of a way to teach car control.
He never "crashed" his first car, a Mustang Turbo four-cylinder "pace car".
it’s partially about “car control” but it’s mainly about kids being dumb-azzes . You don’t think a teenager with a car that can do 190 mph won’t try and do 190 mph? Where do you think he’s going to attempt such a feat? I bet his parents probably won’t rent out a NASCAR track for him. I don’t know this kid but drinking and getting stoned is still a thing amongst the youth too. At any rate most kids are going to mess up their first car whether it costs $1k or $40k so why buy a kid a $40k car? Especially one that can creep up on 200 mph.
Might as well get the kid a crotch-rocket and let ‘em ride wearing flip-flops and with no helmet.
FWIW race car drivers wreck all the time.
Old 06-01-2024, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Default Lola 332/3 @ 198 MPH

Hi 2000, the fastest I EVER drove ( a Pantera ) was 160 MPH, and the ONLY way to navigate the open highway was to "read" the electrical POLES.
Then in my Lola, I was "clocked" @ 198 MPH, driving down a two-lane road in Palm Springs ( PSGP) which I won.
The LA Times put that picture on the FRONT PAGE of the Sports Section.
How fast have YOU driven a car ?
Old 06-01-2024, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hi 2000, the fastest I EVER drove ( a Pantera ) was 160 MPH, and the ONLY way to navigate the open highway was to "read" the electrical POLES.
Then in my Lola, I was "clocked" @ 198 MPH, driving down a two-lane road in Palm Springs ( PSGP) which I won.
The LA Times put that picture on the FRONT PAGE of the Sports Section.
How fast have YOU driven a car ?
I misspoke. It not just kids that are dumb-azzes. Congrats on the race track wins. 160 on the hwy though equals- dumbazz. The punk kid wanting the Vette isn’t going to be on the sports page. He’ll be in the jail times or the obituaries.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 06-01-2024 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-01-2024, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Default DUMBASS at costomers request

OK 2000, my guess is that you DO NOT WORK ON CARS ?
This customer (160 MPH) asked me, 'How fast will my Pantera Go"
I ONLY speak to the truth here at LS-1 Tech.
Lance
Old 06-01-2024, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 561 Likes on 445 Posts

This thread is giving me a headache.
NC01TA (06-02-2024)
Old 06-01-2024, 06:38 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

This customer (160 MPH) asked me, 'How fast will my Pantera Go"
So, as an experienced professional in the automotive field, you felt that the responsible way to answer this question for your customer was to reach 160mph in their car on an open highway. This definitely helps to explain why you feel that a 911 is an excellent choice as a first and primary means of transportation, regardless of climate even, for any newly licensed 16 year old.

With that said, and since the OP hasn't returned, I think we can put this mess to bed.
NC01TA (06-02-2024)

Quick Reply: Convincing parents for an owned C7 corvette