Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to the track

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Going to the track

I'm going to the track tonight for the first time since I bought my Camaro. I live in Vegas and the event starts at 6 tonight it'll probably be about 40 degrees out. I have a few questions and I know you guys can help me out. 1 big concern traction control on or traction control off? Second should I pop my clutch I have a stock 10 bolt with no gears if so how many RPMs would you say is safe? It's a stock ls1 vert only thing done is headers and tune it put down 350 horse and 368 pound feet to the wheels.. what time do you think I'll run also I'll post a picture of my time slip thanks in advance .
Old 12-02-2016, 02:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Traction control off.
When I was stock I think I didn't go over 3000rpm when I launched. You should be okay if you are on street tires. You don't want to launch at high rpm if that's the case or you'll end up with high 2 second 60' times of not worse. You want to just let the clutch out quickly. Don't side step or "pop" it. Shock to the driveline is what kills parts.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Teching In

Thanks man I was thinking 3k too. I have to take my lady Christmas shopping right after so I'm going to show up run down the track once and then leave..
I have street tires hopefully I put up some good numbers.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I've always heard the best way is off idle catching the rpms on the upswing. Then adjust to like 1500 and on an upswing.

Street tires, don't drive through water box or do a burnout longer then a few tire rotations.

Show up and leave after one run?

My guess is 13.8-14.5 first run if you don't miss a gear. 2.4 60'. Don't expect to run magazine times man. And good luck leaving after one run, ***** addicting when you're there.

Last edited by trilkb; 12-02-2016 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Haha yeah depending on how many people show up I'll run once maybe twice.. I'm hoping to run a high thirteen.. thanks for the advice I'm not looking to run magazine times but I'm definitely not trying to run b18c5 Acura integra times either
Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM
12 Second Club

temperature is in your favor but vegas is well above sea level isn't it ?

street tires , M6 ( steeper learning curve to get et's) , never raced it before possibly only 1 pass are also against you

the mods and impressive power numbers are in your favor , I think its going to trap 108-110 provided you are able to wring out all gears with no misses but the et will all depend on the 60 foot , if you can get below 2.1 60 foot you may surprise yourself and get in the 12's if your over 2.5 60 foot you may be stuck in the 14's in the middle of there is where you are most likely to be my guess 13.5 on a 2.3 60 foot at 109
Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Teching In

It's 40 degrees out and it's windy I'm number 66 waiting in line to make my pass
Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by chrisdiaz288
It's 40 degrees out and it's windy I'm number 66 waiting in line to make my pass
hopefully its a tail wind ! not sure if its your first time ever or just first time with that car so assuming first time period:

car off hood up to get cool whenever you aren't moving.

street tires stay out of the water drive around it.

if you can get up to watch some cars leave try to figure out which lane is hooking up best one is always better than the other depending on if someone has dragged water from the burnout box up there , had leaks ,etc...also look at where the tire marks are heaviest when you stage you want your tires on those heavily travelled marks (the groove) you should also be looking to the end of the track while lining up with these grooves approaching the tree - if your pointed straight down the track to begin with you will need fewer steering corrections and cover fewer feet to get to the traps.

shallow stage-take your time getting the pre stage light lit then really creep until you can just get the 2nd light to stay lit this will allow you to move a bit before the timers start when the first beam loses sight of your tires.

good luck , be safe , have fun !
Old 12-02-2016, 11:16 PM
Teching In

So I just got back from the track I made one pass and I had fun! Wasn't the best pass but it was practice. So I lined up next to a coyote 5.0 light turned green and I left at 3k rpms. As soon as I let off the clutch I smashed the gas pedal and I left spinning as if I was trying to do a burnout my car didn't move much and my tires were spinning! I let off and went back caught traction I shifted at 5500 into second 5500 into third and 6k into 4th... they don't do these events but like once a month so I'll go again soon.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Old 12-02-2016, 11:19 PM
Teching In

I'm number 66 on the right lane
Old 12-03-2016, 09:01 AM
12 Second Club

your et is no surprise with how bad your 60 foot was - its hard to race on street tires especially with a manual. I hope you let off and that is why the trap is so slow. The coyote did terrible too that car bone stock should be about 1 sec faster than that with a 110ish trap
Old 12-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by murphinator
your et is no surprise with how bad your 60 foot was - its hard to race on street tires especially with a manual. I hope you let off and that is why the trap is so slow. The coyote did terrible too that car bone stock should be about 1 sec faster than that with a 110ish trap
If that car can truly do one second quicker at 110mph it won't do it in Vegas regardless weather conditions. Sub 2.0 60' times can be achieved with practice on street tires as long as they are quality tires. MPH will go up and ET's will come down with more seat time and learning where best to shift in RPM band.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time, either go drag racing or shopping, can't do both. How are you going to improve on your first run if you're not even there?

When I go to the track, the focus for the day, and even days before, is drag racing. When I'm at the track, you can talk to me, but I don't even hear you. You have to have focus - especially when the car starts getting fast.

Al
Old 01-08-2017, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisdiaz288

Ouch! I feel for you. I've spun before. The guys with automatics have it so easy. Tach up, let off the brake, and get consistent times. In a stick shift car, on street tires, you have to feather the clutch, and barely leave off idle while rolling into it. Cold weather doesn't help either, as the tires have trouble grabbing. You could get drag radials, as they make it dummy proof to get a good launch. If you do you risk your 10 bolt. My best 60' on street tires was a 2.1, hardly decent. Just go back out there and when it heats up a little and see how she runs.

Quick Reply: Going to the track