Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips for gas tank fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 184 Likes on 130 Posts

Default Tips for gas tank fabrication

I'm about to go about fabbing up a stainless tank for my 63 chevy II wagon. My leaf springs have been moved inward so a off the shelf tank is out of the question and I'm not paying the big bucks for a custom Ricks tank or similar. I'll be welding in a sump plate like Tank Inc sells as I'm using their retro efi setup. I'm basically copying the tank already in the car but making it a little bigger and nicer. Not real concerned about the welding or fabbing as that's right up my alley but my questions are what's the best way to vent the tank so it fills with gas well? The tank currently in the car takes forever to fill because I think it was over baffled and perhaps the fill tube was to low coming into the side of the tank. Just looking for people's opinions and experience on this matter. Thanks

Last edited by showdog75; 01-21-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also if anyone could point me in the right direction for finding a barbed nipple for my fill. I think the one that's on the current tank is 2" o.d.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody?....... I think I'll give Rick's a call Monday and see if they may be willing to give me some pointers. Never know til I ask
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

regarding the filling vent, you could probably run a hose/line to a fitting at the highest point of the tank to the filler neck about 3/4 the way up so the vapors can purge while filling but if it gets too full the line will just drain down the filler neck.

if you wanted to get fancy you could put some sort of float ball at the tank fitting so it closes when the fuel level is high enough.

I think this is how factory setups do it...always a good place to look for ideas.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You know if you use a stock style fuel bucket you don't need much in the way of tank baffling and won't need the sump? The fuel buckets have one way valves and siphon pumps that keep the fuel in the bucket even when the rest of the tank is near dry.

I have debated for years how best to sump my tank but when learned how the stock fuel buckets actually work it baffles me why people build such elaborate baffle systems.

As for fill vents do what 350SS said, T in a vent at the high points to the fill tube. Keep in mind the car might not be sitting perfectly level so if the tank is at all U shaped or if you have a fill tube on one side than be sure and run a vent line to the other.

Getting rid of excess baffling will help with this.
Old 01-21-2017, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You know if you use a stock style fuel bucket you don't need much in the way of tank baffling and won't need the sump? The fuel buckets have one way valves and siphon pumps that keep the fuel in the bucket even when the rest of the tank is near dry.

I have debated for years how best to sump my tank but when learned how the stock fuel buckets actually work it baffles me why people build such elaborate baffle systems.
Pop N Wood,

Do you have any links or point me to some info on how the stock tank/bucket system works? I'm interested in learning more.

Thanks,

Andy1
Old 01-21-2017, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

X2 on the fuel bucket idea, they work great and dont require baffling at all. I have used them in the past with good results. Just put one out of a 2002 Tahoe in my 59 wagon tank, just had to recess it a bit to clear the floor. Just find one that fits your tank depth and you're good. They also are spring loaded so that there is usually a couple if inches that they can vary in height which is nice. There's pics of mine in my 59 wagon build thread if you want to see how I did mine. Good luck with your project.. and post up some pics of your car if you can, wagons are cool.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:44 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3x on factory bucket...I was going to suggest it last night but I thought you seemed set on doing it a different way.

I adapted a 4th gen LS1 bucket in my 78 tank, works flawless. If you have welding skills, I'd buy a new factory tank, weld a recess to fit bucket, adapt it like mine. Only issue is fuel bucket lines hitting floor. There are ways you could shorten the bucket and gain a few inches. I was able to keep mine uncut, compressed it to the max...using the vette works adapter. Again, if you have welding skills...you are going to be ok! I paid a friend/coworker
who is an awesome welder.

I don't have a lot of build pics but I can send you a link to someone who did a similar build.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not set on any particular way but I do already have the Tank's Inc stuff. It uses a Walbro pump which is a known quality pump. I'm new to all this LS swap stuff but it is obvious the factory bucket is probably the way to go. Ls1Nova71 do you know if the 2002 Tahoe pump you used would fit in a 8" tank? I'd still like a suggestion on what a baffle should look like and consist of. I thought not only would a baffle prevent fuel sloshing but provide some structural integrity to the tank.
Old 01-21-2017, 07:33 PM
Launching!

The tiny "sump area" of the tanks inc would scare me. The fuel in your tank also cools your pump ( submersed all of the time). The tanks kit cannot give you that. Why spend big bucks on baffling and have not work well sometimes? Lots of stories here and other sites (2nd gen fbody) about people "sastified with fuel system but cannot go below 1/2 tank" , really? I'd hate if I had to get fuel at 1/2 tank every time! The factory bucket eliminates the need for baffling. Sucking air shortens the life of fuel pumps too. The series of check ***** used in the fuel bucket prevent any air from being sucked in.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Launching!

http://nastyz28.com/forum/threads/ls....209472/page-3

Good thread, describes the parts of the fuel bucket and how it works. Good luck!

Please do post pics..wagons are cool.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by showdog75
I'm not set on any particular way but I do already have the Tank's Inc stuff. It uses a Walbro pump which is a known quality pump. I'm new to all this LS swap stuff but it is obvious the factory bucket is probably the way to go. Ls1Nova71 do you know if the 2002 Tahoe pump you used would fit in a 8" tank? I'd still like a suggestion on what a baffle should look like and consist of. I thought not only would a baffle prevent fuel sloshing but provide some structural integrity to the tank.
The tahoe pump is 9" and compresses to 7 1/2" so depending on whether or not you need to recess it I would think it would work.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The tahoe pump is 9" and compresses to 7 1/2" so depending on whether or not you need to recess it I would think it would work.
8" is what I have to work with and that is recessed 2" from the top of the tank.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by showdog75
8" is what I have to work with and that is recessed 2" from the top of the tank.
Thats about what I have. I think I recessed mine about 1 1/2". There's pics in my 59 wagon build thread.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
Pop N Wood,

Do you have any links or point me to some info on how the stock tank/bucket system works? I'm interested in learning more.

Thanks,

Andy1
Sounds like you are already getting quality advice from guys who are running them.

This picture shows the fuel path. The pump draws fuel from inside the bucket. There are two fuel inlets from the tank to the bucket. Item 6 is an inlet check valve and 4 is the siphon pump inlet that uses part of the pump flow to suck gas into the bucket. Also linked to a video.

Someone on here recommended just getting a new one from a late model flex fuel vehicle. They come in all different heights and the flex fuel units have oversided pumps. They really vary in price as well.

Vetteworks sells an adapter ring that lots of guys use.

http://www.vetteworksonline.net/cata...products_id=89

I wanted to run one on my carb'd vehicle but some somebody said carb pressures will not provide enough back pressure for the siphon pump to keep the bucket full. Suckage.

Last edited by Pop N Wood; 01-22-2017 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 01:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mild hijack here, but what are you guys doing to safeguard against explosion when modifying/welding your gas tanks? Or a link to past discussions?
Thanks,

Andy1
Old 01-23-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've welded on quite a few tanks and imo wash,wash,wash, and wash again. I first rinse out the residual gas with hot water then use dish detergent with hot water. Keep cleaning tIl you smell no fumes. I also purge with argon. Whenever I vent the purge after a few minutes of purging before I weld I simply take a lighter and light it at the purge vent. I've never had any trouble but be honest with yourself and if you smell the slightest fuel odor don't weld, wash again.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard that some radiator shops can boil the tanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Couple of pics of my tank.
Attached Thumbnails Tips for gas tank fabrication-2017-02-20-22.36.07.png   Tips for gas tank fabrication-2017-02-20-22.35.23.png  
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

looks killer! wow that is some nice work

Quick Reply: Tips for gas tank fabrication