Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

New to SBC world.. Help with a project!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New to SBC world.. Help with a project!

Hey guys, i know alot about the gen III world but nothing really about the old small blocks. I have a 89 GTA Trans Am that i got for nearly nothing, its Paxton supercharged, sn2000 head unit, i know thats an old old supercharger but this one has no miles on it hardly, of course the TPI 350 in it, B&M th350, with a tci 2500 stall and all the MSD BTM stuff on it. some crappy looking hooker shorty headers, all the stuff that came from paxton as well.

I think the car may have a blown head gasket in between two cylinders, alot of ppl know the car and its done it before a few times, ive got it runnin better than it did, it had some injectors that were bad i threw some lt1 injectors in it and it ran better but it still has no power. it runs fine until you get into the throttle, it builds boost and then it just has no power. sputters real bad under a load. guy i got it from said he was driving it and it started running like crap so he put a new fuel pump in it and it ran good but then after driving it around it started sputtering again. It has good fuel pressure and doesnt leak down or anything. i may just fix it and sell it. im not sure yet.

I have another rebuilt 355 laying around im almost positive its a fuel injected motor but it needs a cam and what not. Any suggestions? what can i do to make it run better? i dont know of intakes, headers, or anything about these cars i cam from a 375ci 99 camaro than would run 6's on motor.. and built it all myself but dont know anything about a TPI motor.. Will all the stuff off the TPI bolt on to that other long block i have?? What cam for boost? any good headers out there for these cars?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

you could start buy doing a compression test and a leak down test to see if you have any issues there. check your timing and see where your at at base and under boost and also check your plugs while there out for gap and condition... as far as a blower cam goes getting one custom ground is your best bet for the best results... all the stuff from the tpi motor will bolt up to a 350 as long as it has the vortech heads on it... good luck
Old 06-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Launching!

"Put a new fuel pump and it ran good for a while"...sounds like the regulator isn't compensating for the boost and you are going lean. I would check that first.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:26 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is my third gen engine:

So just get another gen 3 and swap it unless you want to stick with the otiginal design.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man im gonna have to say to go ls.
sell all the sbc stuff off and use funds for swap.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Pretty much what i did, my cammed stock long block LQ4 traps 2 more MPH than my old 383 did, LOL.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Launching!

Well guys I think I've decided to just sell it and go back to the ls1 body style camaro.. Plus I fixed the problem guys it was the alternator wire.. It wasn't gettin enough voltage so it was cutting out.. If anyone wants a really really good solid project car yhats nice.. I'll sell it for 4250$ or with a new 355 for 5000$ thanks for the input guys!!
Old 06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

build it with ls power and stall for a killer street sleeper. these 3rd gens are amazing when they have ls power.

$ for $ the ls is more powerful and using oe part and heads.

Quick Reply: New to SBC world.. Help with a project!