Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

TPI to carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPI to carburetor

Now I decided to convert to carburetor my car is 92 Camaro L98 iron heads TPI Im about to order an intake manifold I put my eyes on this one EDL-7104 but its only for 86 and earlier and I got the centerbolt heads,do I need to modify the intake manifold bolt holes to fit them on 87 later heads? My friend got a set of vortec heads with Volvo penta intake the heads are ported he told me install them but order the TPI base intake for vortec heads and I REALLY dont want to stay EFI anymore it sucks big time but I dont know which way to go vortec heads and intake or Edelbrock intake with Comp cams 08-306-8 cam,the car has 700R4 with shift kit and 3.73 LSD and MagnaFlow cat back along with Hedman Hedders LT,March pulleys,Jegs tranny cooler so what do you suggest?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Just curious, but why switch away from TPI? You can get better gas mileage and more power easily out of TPI than a carb. Hell I know a lot of people who pay $2000+ for TPI/TBI kits for our vettes.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hate fuel injections there is no fun in them not like carburetors when you floor it you hear the carb scream like Quadrajet
Old 05-30-2008, 04:23 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by evilbadz
Just curious, but why switch away from TPI? You can get better gas mileage and more power easily out of TPI than a carb. Hell I know a lot of people who pay $2000+ for TPI/TBI kits for our vettes.
I have to say bullshit. TPI is batch fire and tghe intakes suck diiiik. The LT1 style intakes help a ton but still arent worth it compared to LSx injection or LTx. TPI is outdated as hell and will really only deliver a couple of more MPG and is harder to tune. I will never use it.

As for the Vortec heads, use them if the price is right. As for the heads on your ride now, Professional Products sells nock off edelbrock style intakes that fit your heads without and modifications and are cheaper. I ahve one and it is a bad *** polished air gap that works verry well. The vortecs will yield allot more power than what you have but edelbrock might be the only intake you can get for a reasonable price.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
TPI is outdated as hell and will really only deliver a couple of more MPG and is harder to tune. I will never use it.
you got that right brother they are useless I cant wait to convert to carburetor,the vortec heads belongs to my friend he told me I will give them to you and use them because they are just sitting in his garage and they are ported I guess if I take them I need better intake manifold because I read here that Volvo Penta intakes sucks
Old 05-30-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW ZONES89RS I visited your page in fquick whats the belt size that you use? because Im using the original belt and air pump deleted but another rotation some guys told me the water pump flow in wrong way
Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldnt call TPI useless, but the long tube runner setup is horrible for making power. I've siamesed my runners and opened up the intake manifold and it'll flow 305 CFM and make 355 RWHP at 5800 RPMs with Trick Flow heads and a Lunati 226/232 camshaft, and pass CA's smog test. I swapped back to long tube runners just for fun and dynoed 30 HP less at 1000 RPMs less, but gained 40 TQ.

However, its still my opinion that you should never go backwards. If you want a carb car, then buy one and modify that. If you have an EFI car, keep EFI and go forward.

Lastly, many companies make carb intake manifolds for centerbolt-style heads.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:51 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by F-Body Lover
BTW ZONES89RS I visited your page in fquick whats the belt size that you use? because Im using the original belt and air pump deleted but another rotation some guys told me the water pump flow in wrong way
Man, i cannot remember the balt size, i re ran it a different route that caused the pump to flow the same direction, i am at the hospital right now or i would be able to look at my car ad tell you what size it is. I deleted that junk smog crap forever ago. The new way to route the belt goes from under the lower crank pullet, around the water pump and then back to the PS pump. Before it goes a diff route stock. I cannot remember the stock route. By all means use those vortecs!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

you got that right brother they are useless I cant wait to convert to carburetor,the vortec heads belongs to my friend he told me I will give them to you and use them because they are just sitting in his garage and they are ported I guess if I take them I need better intake manifold because I read here that Volvo Penta intakes sucks
Well since they are so shitty, when you get your carb in send me your TPI **** for free, I'll even pay shipping
Old 05-31-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well since they are so shitty, when you get your carb in send me your TPI **** for free, I'll even pay shipping
No problem my friend btw those fuel injections can be found in every garage in my country when I convert it to carb I will try to get the wiring out without cutting them and I will send them to you
Old 05-31-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

No problem my friend btw those fuel injections can be found in every garage in my country when I convert it to carb I will try to get the wiring out without cutting them and I will send them to you
Sweet, you're gonna send the intakes/runners/throttle body/fuel ram/injectors/etc right? Oh and hell, if you are going vacuum advance and need a new dist, you can send me your old one of those too!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet, you're gonna send the intakes/runners/throttle body/fuel ram/injectors/etc right?
I just hope I can get the wiring harness out without any damage if not I will send you the whole fuel injection system if you talked before 2 months I've sent you 2 TPI system one with MAF and the other is MAP I sold them to the metal shop to make sure no one runs them again
Old 06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

LOL, that is funny. I have some LT1 computers i need to get rid of. I have some TBI stuff latung around. Those aluminum intakes go great to the scrap yard. I am going LSx in my 95 so i will be ditching all the LT1 **** outta that car.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im an old school guy and I swear to God those TPI are good for nothing I cant even beat a new V6,My TPI runs good without any problem but where the hell is the performance? I guess the car forget it back in the house
Old 06-01-2008, 09:55 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Well, they make torque, thats about it with the stock runners. With aftermarket **** anything goes with all make and model cars but i still dont think it is worth it.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

carburetor all the waaaaaaay
Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

You're dealing with 20 year old technology unfortunately. Mid 14's was pretty fast back in the 80's. Today, if you arent in the 12's you're considered slow, and there are a lot of mild LS1's in the 11's. It turns my stomach how fast they are with their "race" parts on the street.

I'll never go back to a carb on the street, though.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:43 AM
In-Zane Moderator

****, tell that to the MANY LS1 cars who know my tail lights all too well. The fellas in the Texas forum can vouch, the new combo is even better but you still cannot beat them all. LS1,2,3,6,7 Still dont hold a candle stick to a Half assed 496 big block in a third gen.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeaaaah old schooool baaaaaaaby
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

More power out of TPI?

Bwahaaahhahahaahhhhahaahaha.

Quick Reply: TPI to carburetor