Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No turn signals?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No turn signals?????

97 WS6 Formula, turn signals just quit, they will click into position, but no lights blink. Harzard Flasher works fine though. Fuse for turn signals isn't blown. I'm figuring it's the turn signal flasher or turn signal switch. The flasher is an easy fix, but i think the switch is in the column. How much fun is it to get into the column to replace the switch? Anyone had this problem? Any pics or directions on replacing the switch. I'm betting i'll have to pull the steering wheel, just want to know what i'm getting myself into, Thanks.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Why worry about replacing the switch now when you don't know that's the problem? T/S switches are quite sturdy and seldom wear out or break down. You can start by testing for power at the flasher and output from it or, for about $5, you can just put a new one in. If that doesn't solve the problem then there are a number of diagnostic tests you can do to determine the source of the problem.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

can you help me out with those diagnostic tests? The hazard lights work, so i took the flasher from the turn signal side and place it in the hazard connector and the hazards still work so i can rule out the flasher. I am just now reading your reply after i've tried a new signal switch with no results....
Old 07-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The first place to check is the TURN/B-U fuse. Test it or replace it with a known good fuse since it could appear fine even if blown. (If you also have no backup lights then this is the most likely cause.)

Next, pull the radio to get at the DRL module mounted behind it. Test for flashing power at the dark blue with white (right) and light blue with white (left) wires when the ignition is on and the turn signal switch is activated. This will tell you if the switch is working.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

ttt...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

better check the wiring or your flasher relay...
Old 07-12-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

the flasher works, all the wires are connected, being that i just installed a new stereo, i'm really focusing on the DRL module located right behind the stereo. Only thing i don't understand is that the DRL's work, everything else works besides my turn signals.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you check the bulbs?
Old 07-12-2009, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

all the hazard lights work besides the front right(pass) side, i checked there and it looks like it has been spliced twice and has an aftermarket pigtail on it. I have swapped that bulb with a new one and it still won't work. Could water getting into where it was spliced have caused this? I did wash the car right around the time i noticed no turn signals.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The DRL module only affects the front signals - the rear signals would still work even without a DRL module. The burned out bulb or corroded socket on the right side will cause that side to go on but not flash when using the right turn signals. It would not affect the left turn signals.

It is quite common for the front sockets to corrode beyond repair. They are mounted in the bottom of the light housing - right where water will collect. That's probably why you have a replacement socket on one side. However, it's not possible for the socket (or bulb) to allow the DRLs to work without the turn signals also working - they use the same filament in the dual filament bulbs. For example, you say the right front bulb is burned out yet both DRLs work... that's electrically impossible.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

no, both drl's don't work, only the left side, but it does work. the one with the spliced pigtail doesn't light up, and none of the turn signals work, rear included, the indicatior lights in the cluster don't work either
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

When you say they don't work, can you be more specific? Does it affect both sides or just the right side? Do any of the lights go on and just don't flash or do all of the lights stay dark? Do the rear lights go off if you have the headlights on and then use the turn signal?
Old 07-13-2009, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

the left drl works, the turn signal from the same bulb doesn't, none of my turn signals will flash, not even the indicators in the cluster. The right drl doesn't work at all. The only way i can get the lights to flash is using the hazards, and the front right still doesn't work at all. I'm at work, but i'll check the rear lights as soon as i get home.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, the right side turn signals won't work until you get that right front bulb/socket problem fixed. They will go on (except for the front of course) but not flash. Check the bulb to see if it's burned out and check the socket for corrosion or a bad connection.

The left side is puzzling. I can't think of any scenario that would cause all the bulbs to go on but not flash on one side. Are both bulbs in the left rear working? Any burned out bulb (not just the front) will cause the non-flashing problem on that side.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

bulb was fine, tried in in the left front and it worked drl and hazard, even tried a brand new bulb. The socket looks fine, no corrosion at all, it's securely connected as well, they sealed around the gasket of the socket with RTV. My back up lights work with no problem, my brake lights work with no problem, both rear flashers work with no problem, all the bulbs. It's just my turn signals
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You are not getting power to the bright filament on the right side for some reason. Since the bulb is okay, it has to be the socket or the connection/wiring to the socket. You'll have to use a test light or multimeter to track down the source of that problem.

Did you test the wires at the DRL module as suggested earlier?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

the drl module is receiving the flash, and i tested the socket, and it has no power getting to it, guess i'll start chasing wires
Old 07-14-2009, 10:58 PM
On The Tree

alright, haven't got much done with the formula, pulled my camry's engine tonight and replaced every seal that could leak plus a new timing belt and water pump, with help from a master toyota tech. Guess i should just give in an pay him to fix my signals. But i reconnected the pigtail on the front right and now my DRL is as bright as ever when it used to be dimmer than the driver side, but it won't work with hazards when other 3 do, so i'm narrowing it down
Old 08-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Teching In

What was the problem?

Quick Reply: No turn signals?????