Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

**Speaker Recommendations for my T/A**

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default **Speaker Recommendations for my T/A**

I checked the stuck threads and they're 6 years old, so I figured I'd re-ask...

My stock speakers are dying off one by one. I'm not looking for anything competitive for the loudest car in the neighborhood, but would like it to sound like it did when I 1st got it. I miss clear sound, high volume, and clean bass. I'll be replacing the stockers... not adding a box or anything to the back.

Thoughts?

Would I need to replace my HU?
Old 08-31-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

its better to replace the HU.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not opposed to that, but the speakers are starting to vibrate/rattle when there's even the slightest bass in a song. It use to not do that. I'm thinking the entire system needs to be replaced.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

If you are going to completely change everything i would highly recommend putting a 10 in sub in a stealth box. If not, you could run some 6.5 subs in the sails, but for the same money, the box will sound better. What is your budget and i can shoot you some ideas.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

Quite a few like Kee Audio's packages. Designed just for what you said.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bmnicolosi
If you are going to completely change everything i would highly recommend putting a 10 in sub in a stealth box. If not, you could run some 6.5 subs in the sails, but for the same money, the box will sound better. What is your budget and i can shoot you some ideas.
I think a 10" is more than I'm looking for. I don't need that much bass... some healthy 6.5's would work great I'm sure.... I just don't know what, exactly, to get.

I've always been big on Pioneer, so if they make a clean, non-bulky HU, I'd be up for that. If not, I'm open for suggestions on that, too.

Budget? :dunno: under $800?
Old 09-01-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redlinez
Quite a few like Kee Audio's packages. Designed just for what you said.
I wonder why he failed to mention this in another thread.... Thanks.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Well do you want to run an external amp? If so $800 including HU will be able to get you a pretty sick set-up if you don't get a sub.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the727kid
Well do you want to run an external amp? If so $800 including HU will be able to get you a pretty sick set-up if you don't get a sub.
Would I need an external amp if I'm not looking to use a sub? I figured just a nice HU would power the speakers just fine.... But if I need an amp for the speakers, I'd go that route, too. I just have no intentions on putting in a sub.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Would this be a good start? Would it hurt to go ahead and order these even though I haven't figured out what else I'll want?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...wout-sale.html

thanks
Old 09-01-2009, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

those are going to give you a decent midbass sound. so if you're not looking for solid, tight bass, but more of a bass presence, then yes, these would work fine.

your primary goal should be the fronts and the head unit. these are going to be the majority of your sound. the rear sails/hatch stuff is more for rear fill, so it just kinda fills in the gaps, so to speak.

think of it as if you were at a concert, your sound hsould be coming from in front of you more than anything else.

as for amps, most head units are going to have a decent power rating, but if you're looking to go louder and clean.. it's best to have an amp doing the work instead of the head unit. most amps have much higher standards for the 'cleanliness' of the sound than an HU amp will have. so, they will normally introduce less dirt into the sound.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just ordered them... Thanks!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Teching In

You def. want an amp on your speakers. A HU gets extremely hot... at best it will give out 17 watts a channel.... the hotter it gets the less undistorted power it will put out. Basically a cheap 25x2 amp is better than a HU.