Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

trying to find solution to play .ogg on mp3 player through stereo

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying to find solution to play .ogg on mp3 player through stereo

I'm looking to buy a new head unit, and I've been looking at this Pioneer

According to the technical details, it does not support .ogg

I have an mp3 player that supports .ogg (sansa clip), will I be able to play .ogg connecting the mp3 player through the USB port on the Pioneer? What about the aux. in?

I'm wanting to be able to play .ogg files on my mp3 player through the head unit because .ogg has better sound quality than .mp3 and most of the music on my PC is .ogg

Last edited by smokinHawk; 05-10-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: nonsponser url
Old 05-09-2010, 04:04 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are you asking about the aux in on the deck? Whether that could work with your MP3 player depends on the year and type (tape or cd) of your HU...
Old 05-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Staging Lane

yeah I'm wondering if it will work with this model

the source of confusion is the Pioneer specs say it doesn't support .ogg, but my mp3 player does. So I'm unsure if I can get my .ogg loaded mp3 player to play connected to that Pioneer HU.

Last edited by smokinHawk; 05-10-2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: nonsponser url
Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you connect the player using the head unit's auxiliary input jack, it will play whatever the player can produce. The auxiliary input is simply an audio input source - the HU has no idea what is producing that input and the MP3 player is doing all the processing.

On the other hand, if you use a USB, iPod, or other input connection where the HU is doing the processing, you will be limited to those formats that the HU can handle.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

ah I see. Thank you.

will the sound quality be worse through the aux. in than it would be through the USB port?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you connect the player using the head unit's auxiliary input jack, it will play whatever the player can produce. The auxiliary input is simply an audio input source - the HU has no idea what is producing that input and the MP3 player is doing all the processing.

On the other hand, if you use a USB, iPod, or other input connection where the HU is doing the processing, you will be limited to those formats that the HU can handle.
I was thinking the same thing, but I would think if the MP3 player can play it, the headunit can as well even through the USB. Don't quote me on it, but I'm pretty sure the only thing the USB provides over the Aux is the ability to control the MP3 player via the HU. I don't think it actually does any of the audio processing. Now if it were a flash drive, it would obviously be doing the audio processing, but I'm not sure if it were a MP3 player. Like I said though, I'm not 100% on that. I think the only part that won't support the .ogg format is if its on a CD or flash drive.

Originally Posted by LirvA
ah I see. Thank you.

will the sound quality be worse through the aux. in than it would be through the USB port?
Yes, usually the sound quality will not be as good if using the Aux instead of the USB.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Most MP3 players don't pass audio through their USB port. They usually use the USB connection for charging the battery and synchronizing files to your computer. So the head unit will see a disk drive on the USB port just like it would with a flash drive. It can see all the files but it can't play them. When you connect your player to a computer via USB, it requires Windows Media Player or equivalent on the computer to play tracks from the MP3 player. The iPod may be an exception but I don't know. I got so frustrated with Apple's "do it our way" attitude that I pitched my only iPod in the trash.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Most MP3 players don't pass audio through their USB port. They usually use the USB connection for charging the battery and synchronizing files to your computer. So the head unit will see a disk drive on the USB port just like it would with a flash drive. It can see all the files but it can't play them. When you connect your player to a computer via USB, it requires Windows Media Player or equivalent on the computer to play tracks from the MP3 player. The iPod may be an exception but I don't know. I got so frustrated with Apple's "do it our way" attitude that I pitched my only iPod in the trash.
See, thats what I was thinking after I thought about it. For instance, I would assume the Ipod (and the Zune as well) does the audio processing because of docks they have for them. I've had my dock apart and it doesn't seem to have any audio processing, and since they have a 3.5mm headphone jack, and some with the RCAs for audio/video, I'd assume it does all the processing. I think just recently have the higher end headunits started bypassing that, at least from what I gathered with a little reading.