Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring info

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010 | 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Wiring info

Ok so this is what Ill be getting, 4 speakers all 100 watts rms at 4 ohms. The amplifier im using is a 4 channel 100 watt at 4 ohm or 2 ohms. I will wire it in parallel. The load will be 2 ohms if I'm wiring it parallel correct?

Now the subwoofers are two 12 inch 600 watt rms each at 4 ohms. Now I am thoroughly confused as to what amplifier I will need if I am going to run it in parallel vs series. I can't get it straight how to calculate what I need. I know how to calculate the impedence compared to each other, in parallel it will be 2 and series it will be 8, so I need a 600 watt 8 ohm amp for series or a 600 watt 2 ohm x 2 channel for parallel?
Old 04-29-2010 | 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

First with four speakers i assume you want two in the front and two in the rear. You can not wire them parallel if you want front to rear fade. if you do not care about front and rear you can wire them parallel (they will be front channel only) and use the other two channels bridged for your sub and do not need another amp.
Old 04-30-2010 | 08:01 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I think you're misunderstanding the use of parallel versus serial wiring of speakers. You only use those options when you are wiring more than one speaker to the same channel of an amp. When you have a 4-channel amp, 4 speakers, and 4 places to mount them, each speaker will be connected separately to a single channel and there is no way to wire them in series or parallel.

For the subs, you could wire both subs to a single channel amp. Wiring them in series produces an 8-ohm load for that channel. Wiring them in parallel produces a 2-ohm load for the single amp channel. Or you could get a two channel amp and wire them each to their own channel (not the best way). Your best bet is to get a single channel, 2-ohm stable amp (most are) and wire your subs in parallel to that channel.
Old 04-30-2010 | 04:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I think you're misunderstanding the use of parallel versus serial wiring of speakers. You only use those options when you are wiring more than one speaker to the same channel of an amp. When you have a 4-channel amp, 4 speakers, and 4 places to mount them, each speaker will be connected separately to a single channel and there is no way to wire them in series or parallel.

For the subs, you could wire both subs to a single channel amp. Wiring them in series produces an 8-ohm load for that channel. Wiring them in parallel produces a 2-ohm load for the single amp channel. Or you could get a two channel amp and wire them each to their own channel (not the best way). Your best bet is to get a single channel, 2-ohm stable amp (most are) and wire your subs in parallel to that channel.
Yeah with the speaker Im wiring them all individually to the 4 channel amplifier. Ok I guess it doesn matter at this instance but I don't get why someone would wire in parallel or series vs individual channels. So if Im going to wire the subs in a parallel configuration then what power amplifier do I need? 600 watts or 1200 watts at 2 ohms?
Old 04-30-2010 | 05:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You choose to wire speakers (or dual voice coils of a single speaker) in series or parallel when you are connecting to a single channel of an amp and you want to best match the load (impedance) to the amp's capabilities. For example, most single channel amps are 2-ohm stable - many are 1-ohm stable. They will be rated for different levels of power output into different impedances. An amp may produce 500 watts into 4-ohms and 900 watts into 2-ohms. You wire two subs series or parallel to best make use of the available power - in this case you try to set up a 2-ohm total load so that you can take advantage of the higher power.

For your setup, you could wire the subs in parallel to an amp that produces 1200 watts into 2-ohms. You can also use a lower powered amp but you won't be using all the capabilities of the subs (a 600 watt amp could only produce half the power that the subs are capable of handling but if that's loud enough then it doesn't matter).

Note that there is no difference in output between using the two subs wired in parallel to a single channel amp producing 1200 watts at 2-ohms and the same two subs connected to two separate channels of a two channel amp producing 600 watts per channel into 4-ohms. Both cases produce 1200 watts of total power.
Old 05-10-2010 | 12:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

For your setup, you could wire the subs in parallel to an amp that produces 1200 watts into 2-ohms. You can also use a lower powered amp but you won't be using all the capabilities of the subs (a 600 watt amp could only produce half the power that the subs are capable of handling but if that's loud enough then it doesn't matter).
So I would just run both subs out of one channel? Split?
Old 05-10-2010 | 07:33 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You have subs that can handle a total of 1200 watts and you haven't bought the amp yet. Your choices are to buy a single channel amp that produces 1200 watts into 2-ohms or buy a two channel amp that produces 600 watts into each channel at 4-ohms.
Old 05-10-2010 | 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ i vote KICKER ZX1500.1