Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Newbie question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 01:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Audio Newbie question...

I went to futureshop.ca and noticed they finally have a handy function where I can input my vehicle / year and they provide components that are supposed to fit the vehicle I indicated...

SO here's the deal.

I found some Infinity Kappa 6 1/2" 2-Way Car Speaker (60.9CS)
The reviews on these have been nothing but good.

Keep in mind I would be buying them for about 150 dollars - and not at futureshop.

My question is this:

The product is described as having separate components:

* (2) 6½" Midbass
* (2) Tweeters
* (2) Passive X-Overs

Can someone explain this to me?
I am looking to replace the 6.5 speakers, front / back.
Where would I put the tweeters? and the passive x-overs (whatever those are).

I figured it would be a pair of 6.5's. Simple as that...
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The first question is does your car have the Monsoon system? If so, you already have a separate mounting location for the tweeters in the door panels but you won't use the crossover. A crossover is a device that splits signal frequencies so that the midbass gets only the lower frequencies that it is designed to handle and the tweeters get only higher frequencies. The Monsoon powers the components from separate channels and already has those filters built-in.

A Monsoon system also won't support those speakers in the sail panels because they are subs from the factory and get only low filtered signal.

If you have the base audio system then you'd be better off getting a good set of coaxial speakers if you don't want to fabricate some kind of tweeter mounting.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

The car DID have the monsoon, but the previous owner installed a head unit (dated now), an amp for the subwoofer, and a subwoofer.

The entire system sounds like garbage.

I am looking to replace the entire thing.

So I guess those speakers come with three separate pieces eh?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well if all the previous owner did was change the head unit and add a sub with amp then the rest of the Monsoon system is probably still in place. You can update the head unit and replace the speakers without changing any wiring or the Monsoon amp as long as you get the right speakers.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

The speakers in question are the INFINITY KAPPA 60.9CS 6-1/2" / 6-3/4" COMPONENT SYS

Am I to understand this is ONE speaker with three separate components contained in the ONE speaker?

Sorry, I know next to NOTHING about audio and I want to do this right.

I am looking at ditching the whole monsoon / speakers / previously installed amp woofers
and making my own system that will provide very clear volume with some punch.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, they have two speaker components (midbass and tweeter) and an electronic crossover which is a "black box" that goes in the speaker wiring and can be hidden anywhere.

Since, by your own admission, you don't know anything about audio systems why would you automatically assume you have to rip everything out and start over? That is certainly one way to go but how will you know what is required to build a good system? For example, many people (me included) hate Infinity speakers because the treble sounds so harsh they make my ears bleed. On the other hand, some people love them.

You can build a very good sounding system using the Monsoon amp and wiring as a starting point so don't automatically discount that possibility. Do some research before spending your money.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

i would not buy these
Infinity Kappa speakers are not worth 150.00
as whitebird says many many people hate these speakers.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

all great advice.

Well, part of the reason I want to start fresh is the fact that the current set up sounds so terrible.

I realize half the speakers are probably blown, and the amp installed is powering the subs alone (from what I can see).
The head unit is dated and hard to navigate.

I am not sure the monsoon amp is still in the Trans Am. I will have to check for it once it's out of storage. I had figured that the amp for the subs would have replaced the monsoon amp.

I want crisp volume with some undistorted punch. I am not looking for pounding thunderous bass.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks for the responses.