Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

will the sound be weird with different brand speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 01:15 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will the sound be weird with different brand speakers?

If I were to replace my two rear back seat speakers with some quality speaker like Alpine, would it sound off and weird with the rest of the stock monsoon system?

and are those two by the back seats subs? what brand is the best for those two rear seats that will fit?
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
Teching In

you get the best sound quality when you dont mix, but some people cant afford to replace everything at once. or didnt want to change out the factory but have to because a speaker goes bad. some people dont even really notice the difference when they mix.

yes, the 2 by the back seat are subs. its really a personal preference as far as whats best.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mixing brands isn't necessarily a bad thing to do. generally you want all the tweeters in the car to be the same, the big cone drivers blend together better. as far as the subs, their's guys on here running the kicker 6.5"s and im sure you'd find the model # somewhere on here.

Why are you replacing the rear speakers? rear's are there soley for fill. the front is where the music really comes from. i build alot of car audio systems and most don't have rears even if the customer is dropping 15 grand. rears are a total waist of $$ IMO, of course theres always someone who will disagree, but most knowledgable car audio guru's would agree
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 PM
Staging Lane

my right rear is blown and buzzing, so might as well change the both backseat rear speakers..
Old 03-18-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

honestly i would unplug them both and see if you miss them before spending the cash. but a decent inexpensive speaker to replace the old ones isn't a bad idea by any means. I would rather just put that money into a nice set of front components which will give way better results
Old 03-18-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

but arent those subs the ones that give the bass to the car? I don't wanna cut off base haha
Old 03-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

I think there is some confusion. OP is talking about sail panel speakers right? V8 is talking about the rear hatch speakers.

As far as your original question, I have alpines in the door, cdt subs from kee audio will be here tues ( factory was shot) and vr3 ( previous owner, walmart brand maybe??? Idk) speakers in hatch with a 10" bazooka tube in hatch ( again, previous owner) and I think the system sounds decent. Cranked high and it's pretty clean considering it's all being powered from the monsoon amp.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

The cdt subs are the ones that go by the backseats?
Old 03-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, from the research I got there are only a few brands that would work right with the camaro still running a monsoon amp. I think kicker makes one as well, hopefully I'm not disappointed!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Oh if it's your factory subs that are blown then yea replacing those is the way to go. But if it's the rear full range speakers then my suggestion holds true
Old 03-19-2012, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

I replaced all of my speakers last year (slowly and one by one) with CDTs last year since there were all shot. I did the sail panel subs first since they were the easiest to access. It was better but the bass wasn't exactly impressive. I did the door speakers next. Much improved overall including the bass. Noticed the rears were buzzing so I replaced them finally and was rather impressed with how much more they added overall. In other words, don't half-*** it. I understand that money may be an issue, but if you just change 1 or 2 you may not get the full effect of a full upgrade. I got the base CDT package and for "the average listener" it is more than sufficient even off of the stock monsoon amp.

I upgraded to an Alpine HU too and that also made improvements to the overall sound quality and power.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

stingrayj, can you tell me what size and what ohm (specs) are the rear subs that you got?

i think these will work: (non-sponsor link removed)

but do you think walmart might have any that will fit?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-20-2012 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Non-sponsor link removed
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cam kidd
i think these will work: (non-sponsor link removed)

but do you think walmart might have any that will fit?
walmart won't have a 6.5" sub...your best bet it those CDT's or the Kicker's are popular on here, or JL also makes the 6w3 but its the most expensive out of the 3

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-20-2012 at 06:58 AM. Reason: non-sponsor link removed
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

the kicker's are cheaper?

Quick Reply: will the sound be weird with different brand speakers?