Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Subs loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs loss of power

Its not that they loose power completely but while I'm driving down the road
all of a sudden they start to hit softer and when i try and turn the bass up on
the monsoon EQ it gets distorted any ideas
Also if i rev the engine they start bumping hard again

im running 2 12" alpine (250rms each) single voice coil with a
ALPINE mono 2ohm 500watts rms amp

Thanks
-N00B
Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 AM
TECH Resident

do you have a cap, or dry cell battery? and does your volts drop when the bass hits? do you have a good ground? does your amp ever get hot?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tt383lt1
do you have a cap, or dry cell battery? and does your volts drop when the bass hits? do you have a good ground? does your amp ever get hot?
not sure what kind it is (name has a meaning) not voltage does not drop when it his and yeah but im going to try another spot and no not that i noticed but next time i get out after bumping it i will feel it and scratch that when i said it bumps harder when i rev the engine it randomly gos in and out
Old 04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ground needs to be done with paint scraped off and a nut and bolt. you need a bettery like an optima yellow top and a cap is going to absolutely nothing for you but add another drain on the alternator and battery. caps condition power and remove noise from power. they do nothing to keep voltage up or sub amps from going into protect like most seem to assume unless you've got a ginormous cap like 100 farad, most are 1-3 farad.

it's 100% a power, ground, or battery issue....btw dont ever turn up the bass using the HU's EQ distortion kills speakers not wattage, also another common misconception...speakers will actually play louder when less distortion is present even if it means less power
Old 04-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V8ImpSS
...a cap is going to absolutely nothing for you but add another drain on the alternator and battery. caps condition power and remove noise from power. they do nothing to keep voltage up or sub amps from going into protect like most seem to assume unless you've got a ginormous cap like 100 farad, most are 1-3 farad.
Thanks Im redoing the ground soon im in the process of moving so not of
car time at the moment i thought i scraped enough off but i was in a hurry
and very excited to hear this thing bump after spending almost a grand on it
and thanks for the tip about the EQ wasn't sure if i was supposed to use it or
not and if redoing the ground doesn't work ill go buy a yellow top but don't
really want to invest in that at the moment unless i have to.

Also the cap your talking about not sure but is that the extra battery some
people put in the back that looks like thermos???

thanks for all your help guys!!!
-N00B
Old 04-05-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, they're usually a cylindrical shape, but its not a battery more like a power conditioner/surge protector sorta kind of
Old 04-06-2012, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

you dont want a capaciter (cap) there not good like stated above. go get a yellow top and put it in the back like the cap is set up (inline with the power) and i usually ground it straite to the frame. and i use to be in bass competions with my 2500 watt rms, 5000 watt peak at 1 ohm stable amp and 2 15" type r with two yellow tops one under the hood and one in the back. and my headlight would never dim and never had to replace any alternators.. i had 160 db with that system. you could shack other people mirrors at stoplight. and could hear it at least a mile away
and if you amp ever gets hot ( your gound is not good. eather go bigger wire or get a better ground. my amps banging for hours on end would never get quite or ever get hot or even warm.

a cap pretty much just store the voltage for a short period of time. if you hook a voltmeter up to the amps power with the cap and had a solid note after secounds it would drop to 9 volts and on a yellow top with the same notes it would stay at 13.8 all day.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by theN00B2000
Thanks Im redoing the ground soon im in the process of moving so not of
car time at the moment i thought i scraped enough off but i was in a hurry
and very excited to hear this thing bump after spending almost a grand on it
and thanks for the tip about the EQ wasn't sure if i was supposed to use it or
not and if redoing the ground doesn't work ill go buy a yellow top but don't
really want to invest in that at the moment unless i have to.

Also the cap your talking about not sure but is that the extra battery some
people put in the back that looks like thermos???

thanks for all your help guys!!!
-N00B
Just a tip if you do end up getting a yellowtop and you have an advance auto parts near you, you can order it on there website and pick it up in store but when ordering online use promo code VISA it will save you 50 dollars off the battery.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Just a tip if you do end up getting a yellowtop and you have an advance auto parts near you, you can order it on there website and pick it up in store but when ordering online use promo code VISA it will save you 50 dollars off the battery.
Awesome saving as much money as possible is what i need at this point
thanks for the tip
Old 04-06-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by theN00B2000
Awesome saving as much money as possible is what i need at this point
thanks for the tip
all my big ticket stuff that I get from adavance I order over the website, they have all kinds of promo codes all the time, like the code P20 will get you 20% off any order BATX gets you 25% off batteries over 99.99 up to a max of 50 dollars savings or 20% off cheaper batteries, just google "Advance Auto parts Promo codes" thats how I found the VISA one and that list was from last year, they tend to recycle there codes and there doesn't seem to be a limit to how many times you can reuse a code, but then again I always do the guest checkout instead of setting up an account. which summitracing had deals like that.

Quick Reply: Subs loss of power