Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help on a double din

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on a double din

I am looking at this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eonon-Double-Din-Car-Dash-GPS-Radio-DVD-Player-7-HD-Touch-BT-NFC-URC-GPS-Stereo-/310867439576?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item486124afd8
I have a 94 Camaro, and I really really really want that! ^

but that stereo is prettyyyyy big...so the only thing I could thing of is relocating the ac controls to the bottom and hacking away at the panels above the current spot. I was wondering if that was possible? and what would it take? Never used and fiberglass or anything like that though...but I am open to learn!

Also, if you have any experience with that stereo then lmk! Or if you got one that would be easier to fit but still has gps and touchscreen then I am open to others as well.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM
Teching In

you're gonna need a new bezel. some people cut and use filler (bondo) to shape it. Double D mods sells a modded bezel, or you can send yours in for modification.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/1993-199...6-camddbez.htm
They are a sponsor on here.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6inMIAMI
you're gonna need a new bezel. some people cut and use filler (bondo) to shape it. Double D mods sells a modded bezel, or you can send yours in for modification.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/1993-199...6-camddbez.htm
They are a sponsor on here.
Yes you're going to need a new bezel if you decide to go with a double din. Personally I prefer the look of single din decks but I still wanted the touchscreen functionality, so I got the best of both worlds

Plus the screen on this is higher than a standard double din radio so it's easier to view when driving.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

The only thing is, that radio is 7 " wide by 4 " tall. could they modify it to fit?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Looks pretty interesting, wondering how the quality is.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WCT13
I am looking at this.

Eonon Double DIN Car Dash GPS Radio DVD Player 7"HD Touch BT NFC URC GPS Stereo | eBay

I have a 94 Camaro, and I really really really want that! ^

but that stereo is prettyyyyy big...so the only thing I could thing of is relocating the ac controls to the bottom and hacking away at the panels above the current spot. I was wondering if that was possible? and what would it take? Never used and fiberglass or anything like that though...but I am open to learn!

Also, if you have any experience with that stereo then lmk! Or if you got one that would be easier to fit but still has gps and touchscreen then I am open to others as well.
please don't put that CHINESE piece of crap in your car, buy a REAL radio from a known brand, buying that thing is worse then buying a Jensen or whatever the cheapest brand at walmart is.

The only thing is, that radio is 7 " wide by 4 " tall. could they modify it to fit?
keep in mind the "panel" they refer to it is about 6.65 wide, this is the part that has to fit thru the bezel, the 7" part is behind that.

also the specks are a bit lacking, just says the processor is an ARM11, ARM11 is a processor "family" and can be anywhere from 10 years old 350 megahertz to about 1 gigahertz and the thing is rated 4x65w which likely (based on price) means 65 watts total, Windows CE 6.0 (the operating system on this thing) was first released in November of 2006 and was completely replaced by March of 2011. All the tech in this thing is 5-10 years old and will be SLOW as crap.

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 02-08-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
please don't put that CHINESE piece of crap in your car, buy a REAL radio from a known brand, buying that thing is worse then buying a Jensen or whatever the cheapest brand at walmart is.

keep in mind the "panel" they refer to it is about 6.65 wide, this is the part that has to fit thru the bezel, the 7" part is behind that.

also the specks are a bit lacking, just says the processor is an ARM11, ARM11 is a processor "family" and can be anywhere from 10 years old 350 megahertz to about 1 gigahertz and the thing is rated 4x65w which likely (based on price) means 65 watts total, Windows CE 6.0 (the operating system on this thing) was first released in November of 2006 and was completely replaced by March of 2011. All the tech in this thing is 5-10 years old and will be SLOW as crap.
Now that is a helpful post!!! Now I am looking the other way at this unit. I want a unit with GPS and touchscreen, and it needs to accept iPods and stuff like that. Any ideas on one? My budget is around 100-300 on the unit. I would prefer no move then ~200$ on it since I need to buy that bezel.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Yes you're going to need a new bezel if you decide to go with a double din. Personally I prefer the look of single din decks but I still wanted the touchscreen functionality, so I got the best of both worlds

Plus the screen on this is higher than a standard double din radio so it's easier to view when driving.
I thought about a flip out but, it would cover my ac controls. although my car is out of freon...but I must ask...where did you get the light and the panel that has your car on it at?! That looks sick!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought about a flip out but, it would cover my ac controls. although my car is out of freon...but I must ask...where did you get the light and the panel that has your car on it at?! That looks sick!
Flip outs aren't for everyone, some people hate them vehemently

With this particular one, I keep it closed 90% of the time. You can still connect Bluetooth, play radio/cd's, iPod without poping it open. Only time I open it is to change some settings or use the GPS.

Got my 'Trans Am' mounting bracket from (non-sponsor link removed)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-09-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Flip outs aren't for everyone, some people hate them vehemently

With this particular one, I keep it closed 90% of the time. You can still connect Bluetooth, play radio/cd's, iPod without poping it open. Only time I open it is to change some settings or use the GPS.

Got my 'Trans Am' mounting bracket from (non-sponsor link removed)
Flip out would be better since I wouldnt need a 100$ bezel....I want GPS cause our TomTom is dumb, so I use my phone since its more updated. They say flip outs can die easily if you open them alot? And does all of that fit perfectly in your car? Or do you have a double din bezel? I am new to the radio world, but my car has the bose system on it so I would need a radio that can support that.

(non-sponsor link removed)

That is the first unit I was looking at, I suppose I could get over the covering of the ac.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-09-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Addict

Now that is a helpful post!!! Now I am looking the other way at this unit. I want a unit with GPS and touchscreen, and it needs to accept iPods and stuff like that. Any ideas on one? My budget is around 100-300 on the unit. I would prefer no move then ~200$ on it since I need to buy that bezel.
I honestly don't think you'll find a GOOD known brand (Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Eclipse or any of the other MAJOR manufactures not counting Jensen, Boss Audio, Lanzar and crap like that) with those functions in that price range, at least not new, Pioneers WITH built-in navigation Double Din starts out at like 500 and goes up from there. honestly I wouldn't go near any of the brands with those features in that price range your talking about.

Car Audio is really a world where you get what you pay for.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

I honestly don't think you'll find a GOOD known brand (Pioneer, Kenwood, Clarion, Eclipse or any of the other MAJOR manufactures not counting Jensen, Boss Audio, Lanzar and crap like that) with those functions in that price range, at least not new, Pioneers WITH built-in navigation Double Din starts out at like 500 and goes up from there. honestly I wouldn't go near any of the brands with those features in that price range your talking about.

Car Audio is really a world where you get what you pay for.
I wish I had a few grand to drop on stuff like this, I would get me a nice pioneer or kenwood. I'd prefer double din, but single din is easier for me. I could get a nice single din flip out for that price range couldn't I?
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Flip out would be better since I wouldnt need a 100$ bezel....I want GPS cause our TomTom is dumb, so I use my phone since its more updated. They say flip outs can die easily if you open them alot? And does all of that fit perfectly in your car? Or do you have a double din bezel? I am new to the radio world, but my car has the bose system on it so I would need a radio that can support that.

That is the first unit I was looking at, I suppose I could get over the covering of the ac.
(non-sponsor link removed). Find one you like and try to stick with name brands. Once you have a model selected out, read as many customer reviews as you can. Amazon, best buy, car toys, anywhere. After about 50 or so you can generally tell if it's a quality product or not. As for mine, apart from cutting off the tab behind the radio, I didn't need modify anything else. Might be different for the Camaro though, I'm not sure.

I have also heard the horror stories of them breaking, but I've had mine for about 4 months now and its still like new. If covering the ac controls still bothers you, double dins are still an option.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...pic-heavy.html

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-09-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

(non-sponsor link removed). Find one you like and try to stick with name brands. Once you have a model selected out, read as many customer reviews as you can. Amazon, best buy, car toys, anywhere. After about 50 or so you can generally tell if it's a quality product or not. As for mine, apart from cutting off the tab behind the radio, I didn't need modify anything else. Might be different for the Camaro though, I'm not sure.

I have also heard the horror stories of them breaking, but I've had mine for about 4 months now and its still like new. If covering the ac controls still bothers you, double dins are still an option.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...pic-heavy.html
I could always turn it on before opening the screen.

I'm not 100% but I think the guy we got the car from had a flip out in it. The radio with it is not stock, its a pioneer something. I might just but that bracket from Humount and put it on and keep the radio I got.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-09-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

It's the Navigation part, adding Navigation to either a flip out or a double din instantly adds 200 to 300 dollars to the price unless it's some crappy brand like Boss Audio (which blew up my amp so I don't recommend them) and other crap brands like that.

I had a DVD based Pioneer NAV head unit (AVIC-D3) in my last car, they released a new map DVD every year and charged 120 bucks for the 2 disc set (it was possible to "acquire" the DVD files using other methods ) but in all honesty if you have a smart phone with google maps you will be FAR better off using that then paying the premium to get already out of date (with little hope of update) NAV maps on a headunit.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 PM
On The Tree

It's the Navigation part, adding Navigation to either a flip out or a double din instantly adds 200 to 300 dollars to the price unless it's some crappy brand like Boss Audio (which blew up my amp so I don't recommend them) and other crap brands like that.

I had a DVD based Pioneer NAV head unit (AVIC-D3) in my last car, they released a new map DVD every year and charged 120 bucks for the 2 disc set (it was possible to "acquire" the DVD files using other methods ) but in all honesty if you have a smart phone with google maps you will be FAR better off using that then paying the premium to get already out of date (with little hope of update) NAV maps on a headunit.
Yea, thats what I am thinking...I don't want to fork out an extra 100$ for a bezel but...I could spend a 100$ on the bezel and get a double din...or 70$ and get that bracket from humount...

EDIT--

So I was looking around online and heard of mirrorlink that lets your radio control your phone with a cable. I plan on getting the Galaxy s4 and seen that this unit was compatible with it!

Thoughts on this unit? The reviews seem pretty great so far!! This is looking like the one I will get!

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 02-09-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, thats what I am thinking...I don't want to fork out an extra 100$ for a bezel but...I could spend a 100$ on the bezel and get a double din...or 70$ and get that bracket from humount...
Don't assume the Humount is much cheaper than getting a whole new bezel. The base bracket may be $70 but they charge extra to change engravings, add illumination...etc. Mine was $108 shipped to my door.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Don't assume the Humount is much cheaper than getting a whole new bezel. The base bracket may be $70 but they charge extra to change engravings, add illumination...etc. Mine was $108 shipped to my door.
It is cheaper though, cause if I get that mount, I would keep my old stereo, so that would save 200$ atleast.

If I don't get it...thats 100$ for the bezel and 200-250 for the stereo! But I really want a new stereo!

Quick Reply: Help on a double din