Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal Arm is broken, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Question Turn Signal Arm is broken, Please Help

I have an 01 and the turn signal arm is broken. Everything works, save for the high beam switch. When I pull try to tune on the high beams, the arm just flops around. The arm, forward and back, seems broken, but as I said, everything else on it works (wipers, cruse and blinkers).

Is there a write up on how to install a new arm? Has anyone done this and if so, is it difficult. You hear horror stories about messing with anything on or in the column.

Also, I have an extra column from a 98+ (not sure of the exact year), that came out of a v6 Firebird. Can I use the arm from it, or will I need one from an 01 v8?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine rattles like crazy so I'd like to know how to install new one as well.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:34 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The multifunction lever is the same for all 94-02 f-bodies with cruise control (there is a different part for 98 and earlier models without cruise control). The part number is 25140743 - about $250 at the dealer but only $115 at rockauto.com.

Replacing it is extremely simple. Slide the plastic cover on the steering column behind the lever toward the front of the car to remove it. Unplug the electrical connector for the lever, remove the retaining screw and pull the lever out. Installation is the reverse. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes tops.

Just remember that the lever itself may not be the problem - it could be a problem with the mount inside the column.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks WhiteBird00! I'll try to get a video of how it flops around, lol...
Old 03-20-2014, 01:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

What I was suggesting was that since it's so easy to remove the lever, you should do that first and check to see if it really is broken before buying a replacement. If the lever isn't broken and it is flopping around because the part where it mounts in the column is broken then there's no point buying a new lever and you'll be looking at a lot more work to fix the problem.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
What I was suggesting was that since it's so easy to remove the lever, you should do that first and check to see if it really is broken before buying a replacement. If the lever isn't broken and it is flopping around because the part where it mounts in the column is broken then there's no point buying a new lever and you'll be looking at a lot more work to fix the problem.
Well I actually have a lever from that v6 Firebird I asked about in post one

So are you saying that the mount is a hell of a lot harder to replace?
Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, that would involve disabling the airbags, removing the steering wheel and disassembling many of the parts in the column.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Here's my thread from replacing my multi-function switch and another good one on taking the column apart:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...mn-repair.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...oval-pics.html

I would not recommend pulling the lever out. When I took mine out for the switch repair, (I had wiper problems) the old lever socket in the switch broke. (It's a tight spring and friction fit and the plastic on the original switch is probably brittle.)

If the arm is floppy in all directions, that is bad. If its just floppy forward/back, in the high beam directions, then I'd suspect a bad high beam switch. The lever moves a rod that travels down the column and sits in a socket of the high beam switch at the base of the steering column. You should be able to get to that switch by removing the lower IP panel and observing where the linkage engages the physical switch.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wssix99
If its just floppy forward/back, in the high beam directions, then I'd suspect a bad high beam switch. The lever moves a rod that travels down the column and sits in a socket of the high beam switch at the base of the steering column. You should be able to get to that switch by removing the lower IP panel and observing where the linkage engages the physical switch.
THIS!

Cool, I'll take a look! From the way you've explained it, it doesn't sound too hard to replace... or am I over simplifying things, lol...
Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If it's just a bad switch = easy. If not = not so easy.

You'll want to view the movement of the linkage to really see what's up.
The following users liked this post:
catfishlover (07-05-2021)
Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the info, Bro!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Arm is broken, Please Help