Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

Convert front DRLs and turn signals to LED

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convert front DRLs and turn signals to LED

Anybody know how to convert the front turn/DRLs to LED. I've searched and and can't find anything on a straight forward conversion. I'm just trying to remedy the melting and cracking housings from the OEM bulbs getting too hot. I want to keep it just plain stock with lighting color. I purchased the "switchbacks" from superbrightleds but they go to a white light when the headlights are on which is not correct, otherwise they work fine. The other options from superbright say "not suitable for GM daytime running lights". I just don't like the white LED color when the headlights are on since it doesn't match the color of the other stock lights. It also draws unwanted attention from the boys in blue at night.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all you will need is a load resistor. I bought my LED turn/DRL LEDs with a load resistor and they work perfect. idk if im allowed to post amazon links but this is what I ordered
Amazon.com: Classy Autos 3157 3457 3057 4157 Dual Color LED Switchback Turn Signal Lights with Load Resistors: Automotive Amazon.com: Classy Autos 3157 3457 3057 4157 Dual Color LED Switchback Turn Signal Lights with Load Resistors: Automotive
Old 09-06-2014, 10:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to electrical.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Thx for the info. The bulbs in that amazon link look just like the ones I already have. I've changed out my flasher relay so I don't think I need a load resistor, the switchbacks I have work correctly. They are xenon white and switch to amber for turn signal when the headlights are on. With the headlights off they stay amber. I just don't like the white xenon color that doesn't match the other lights. I bought these from superbright and we'll see if they work. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-tower/802/
Old 09-06-2014, 12:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You don't need load resistors to install LED drop-in bulbs in the turn signals and taillights. You just need to replace the stock thermal flashers with electronic flashers.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (03-06-2021)
Old 09-07-2014, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've been using Trition V3 for the DRLs and love them. They were 100% plug in play, and have an option to add a fuse to activate a resistor, so an aftermarket flasher is not necessary. I bought only the amber versions, and already have an aftermarket flasher (for my sequential tailslights) so I cannot comment how the, "resistor" option works.

The downfall is they are very expensive, but they run cooler than the halogen bulbs so the DRL housings should last longer. They are also just as bright as the halogen bulbs, and function exactly the same.

Here's a thread about them with pics and videos: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...installed.html
Old 09-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

When you see listings that LED bulbs are not suitable for GM DRL, it doesn't apply to 4th generation f-bodies. That warning is for later GM vehicles that use pulse width modulation (PWM) to reduce power to the DRLs. PWM uses an extremely short cycle square wave signal alternating the voltage between 14V and 0V to produce an overall average of close to 8V. Ordinary bulb filaments don't care - they just illuminate at the reduced average voltage. But LEDs react fast enough to the variation to flicker and significantly shorten their life.

F-bodies use full battery voltage to the DRLs so the warning doesn't apply. However, be careful about the vendor. Even some well-known vendors like V-LEDs won't warrant use of their LED bulbs in ANY DRLs because their bulbs aren't capable of dissipating enough heat. Superbrightleds.com is not one of those vendors and they do cover constant-on usage like in a DRL installation.
The following 2 users liked this post by WhiteBird00:
k3000 (03-06-2021), Squirts11 (07-20-2020)
Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Bigbee
Thx for the info. The bulbs in that amazon link look just like the ones I already have. I've changed out my flasher relay so I don't think I need a load resistor, the switchbacks I have work correctly. They are xenon white and switch to amber for turn signal when the headlights are on. With the headlights off they stay amber. I just don't like the white xenon color that doesn't match the other lights. I bought these from superbright and we'll see if they work. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-tower/802/
So I got the above LED bulbs installed and they work just right. Correct brightness with DRL/turn signals/markers and stay amber colored. Now just hoping they last longer than the stock incandescent style. Really, if they last more than a couple years I'm money ahead without having to replace the housings/sockets due to all the melting.

Last edited by Bigbee; 09-11-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:10 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What flasher did you use?
Old 09-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BAN_ONE
What flasher did you use?
Just using a standard EL12 from NAPA. It's an electro-mechanical flasher I think. I have standard bulbs in the rear lights yet so the electrical load is enough to make it work. If you change everything over to LED I think you need to get the LED specific flasher which is quite a bit more expensive.
k3000 (03-06-2021)
Old 09-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, used the same one and it worked just fine.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Led bulbs not flashing

I recently got new LED bulbs that are drop ins for the factory DRL on my 2000 and they light up just fine but when I go to use the turn signal the green arrow on the dash will stay solid and neither the front lights or the tail lights will flash. When I put the hazards on however they work just fine so I’m wondering what I need to do to get them to work properly.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Venom33
I recently got new LED bulbs that are drop ins for the factory DRL on my 2000 and they light up just fine but when I go to use the turn signal the green arrow on the dash will stay solid and neither the front lights or the tail lights will flash. When I put the hazards on however they work just fine so I’m wondering what I need to do to get them to work properly.
There are two flashers. The one on the left of the dash is for the Hazards. The one on the right is for the Turn Signals. You will need an electronic flasher if you are going to non-stock bulbs. (The stock flasher is a mechanical unit.)
k3000 (03-06-2021)

Quick Reply: Convert front DRLs and turn signals to LED