Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need an amp and amp placement question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 01:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an amp and amp placement question.

I may be getting this sub, because it comes with the stealth enclosure I might be getting. First of all, I am not a big audio person at all, and don't know much at all about car audio except for what a friend is telling/recomending to me. I'm going to need an amp. Realize now, I am on a budget, but the friend recomended I get about a 100rms/channel amp. Any recomendations of an amp like that?

Also, I'm getting the stealth enclosure because I need the room. Any cheap ideas where or how to mount it, or would my best bet just be buying the rack off subthump? I need the space behind the seats and the t-top area.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

Bump... I wanna keep it ~$100
Old 07-28-2005, 10:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using a 2 x 4, and a larger thinner board (8 x 10, 9 x 13"), and some sheet metal screws, you can easily mount it to the back wall (be sure to mount the amp high enough).

You'll have plenty of room for the ttops.

Looks something like this, but mount it higher so the ttops fit.

http://home.comcast.net/~zx1100e5/09_amp1.jpg
Old 07-28-2005, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Hm, might do that. Any amp recomendations?

Also, what about mounting it right beside the rear tire if you didn't get an amp that was too big? Would it really be that much hotter there?
Old 07-28-2005, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear tire? You mean spare tire?

It's possible. There is room, and a smaller amp can fit. You will have to fabricate some sort of bracket. Also, what happens when you need to use the spare?.

Are you considering etting rid of the spare tire & jack completely? If so, then you can mount a good size amp there once you've made your bracket.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GPz1100
Rear tire? You mean spare tire?

It's possible. There is room, and a smaller amp can fit. You will have to fabricate some sort of bracket. Also, what happens when you need to use the spare?.

Are you considering etting rid of the spare tire & jack completely? If so, then you can mount a good size amp there once you've made your bracket.
Er spare haha. I want to keep the spare, but now that I think of it that would be rather pointless if I blocked it in. Unless it would be removable with a screwdriver or something. Oh wellllll
Old 07-29-2005, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

I'm just going to get the subthump amp rack. I'm getting this amp- http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAu...roductID=14263

What kind/length of wires should I get? I know zero about this stuff.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

um, you could try taking some yarn and roughly go along the route your going and get a rough estimate on the length. take that length and add 30% to the length. I always have way more wire than I need,so i'm certain i will have enough lengh. I feel that the extra 5-10 bucks is worth the cash. having a wire to small requires an extension which ususally: costs more cash, more time, looks ugly, and just another place to breakdown.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Oh, btw, your going to need the following wires to go to the amp.
power, Led, ground, speaker wire, rca. the rca and power are going to be the most expensive, due to the length and size of the wire.
rca,Led will go from head unit to amp.
power-battery or other power source to amp.
ground-usually just a few feet long.
speaker wire-self explain.

I know i've posted this link many times but when it comes to cars/audio pictures are worth a billion words. my setup
My rockford amp is perfert for what I did. it fits in that spot perfect, and the plates cover all the wires/screws. Helps to make hte install look cleaner.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeff Zahnd
Oh, btw, your going to need the following wires to go to the amp.
power, Led, ground, speaker wire, rca. the rca and power are going to be the most expensive, due to the length and size of the wire.
rca,Led will go from head unit to amp.
power-battery or other power source to amp.
ground-usually just a few feet long.
speaker wire-self explain.

I know i've posted this link many times but when it comes to cars/audio pictures are worth a billion words. my setup
My rockford amp is perfert for what I did. it fits in that spot perfect, and the plates cover all the wires/screws. Helps to make hte install look cleaner.
Looks good, but I don't really wanna put holes in my plastic. Thanks for the help though.