Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wire up mid speakers - Monsoon

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wire up mid speakers - Monsoon

Awhile ago my middle speakers blew (the ones by the rear seats). So I just clipped them and threw them out. Today I was trying to put new speakers in, and I cannot figure out the wiring. there are 4 wires going into the clip, and I used a meter to find pos/neg and hooked that up, leaving 2 wires free. The speaker didnt work.... Im not really sure what to do. Anybody know what the problem is? I dont have the original clips anymore, because I left them attached to the old speakers when I threw them out.
Old 06-09-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

aHAA! I have stumped the ENTIRE ls1tech community!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SpecterGT260
aHAA! I have stumped the ENTIRE ls1tech community!!!
No...it's the weekend and we have other things to do.

The sail panels in Firebirds with Monsoon systems have dual voice coil (DVC) subs. The DVC setup is the reason for four wires instead of two but the fact that they are subs and low-pass filtered from the amp is probably why you're not getting sound from your aftermarket speakers. You'll have to rewire to get any midrange or highs from those speakers. The easiest way is to disconnect the hatch speakers and pull those wires forward to the sail panels. Or, you can install subs like the ED EU-700 there and use the factory wiring.

Here are the wire colors for the sail panel subs in case you need them:
Left side:
Tan +, White -
Dark blue with white +, Light green with black -

Right side:
Red +, Tan -
Dark green +, Light blue with black -

Both pairs carry the same signal so just make sure you keep the pairs together if you use them.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Don't mean to steal the thread....but...here goes..

Just got a 1998 Trans am this weekend..and its full of problems...

One of them though, is the stereo. It sounds like crap. Bad sound was coming from the speakers by the rear seats. So i figured they were blown. There were aftermarket 3 way speakers in those spots, and all the wires had been used. I did not realized these were for subs so tried a pair of my new 6.5s in there and the too sounded like crap.

After reading this post i realized that speakers like my 6.5s or the ones that were in there probably will not work well the way its wired right now.

Correct?
Old 06-11-2007, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

ok, i guess my next question is: Where can I find some DVC 6.5" subs? Ive never seen any like that before.

and to brent, the answer is yes
Old 06-11-2007, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

An increasingly popular choice is the Elemental Designs eD 7Kv.2 (formerly EU-700). They are a little deeper than stock so a spacer is required for installation but they wire right up to the stock wiring and they provide a significant improvement in sound. There is a recent thread here that provides details of an installation and also links to a longer discussion in an earlier thread.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

soooooo, if I dont want to mess with expensive DVC woofers, a single voice coil woofer using just 2 of the wires should work (the real issue being that the amp is cutting out the high range?)

the weird thing is, if I touched the other two wires to the speaker terminals while it was wired to the original two i used i got sound (all ranges).
Old 06-11-2007, 10:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

soooooo, if I dont want to mess with expensive DVC woofers, a single voice coil woofer using just 2 of the wires should work (the real issue being that the amp is cutting out the high range?)
Well, yes and no. The speakers are subwoofers rather than woofers so the sound of an ordinary woofer is not going to be very good with the limited frequency range that is carried on those wires. The eD subs are quite reasonably priced for something as difficult to find as a 6.5" subwoofer (especially DVC). There are other available brands and models such as CDT but they are even more expensive. In this case, you really do get what you pay for.

the weird thing is, if I touched the other two wires to the speaker terminals while it was wired to the original two i used i got sound (all ranges).
Not unless they've been re-wired (or the amp has been bypassed). Both pairs of wires in both side sail panels carry only low pass filtered signal from the Monsoon amp.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

sorry, i meant single voice coild subwoofer. there are some on millionbuy.com and they are pretty cheap. I just want to replace blown speakers
Old 06-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, certainly you can install an SVC subwoofer and just use one of the two pairs of wires. Your output will be somewhat reduced but it shouldn't be a problem. I'm just not familiar with many quality 6.5" SVC subwoofers that are also inexpensive.

You also have the option of replacing with stock speakers. The stock speakers aren't that bad. Yes, they're made from cheaper materials and won't last forever but the biggest cause of blown speakers in a Monsoon is distortion from the stock head unit.

Quick Reply: Wire up mid speakers - Monsoon