Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

7Kv.2 Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7Kv.2 Install

Thanks to the many threads with information about this, especially this thread .

It's an amazing improvement, only problem is now the speakers that are working fine really sound weak in comparison. This is a temporary improvement and I'm trying to figure out how to work these speakers into my long term plans. I've used a single amp to a single DVC sub before which is easy, but I don't really want to use two amps for two small subs. Could I use a JL 250/1 and "Y" the connections? Will that sound good and give proper power? Or wire to one coil and loop from one coil to the other? Do I need a 4 channel amp so I have enough connections?

Here's how it looks...

Made a 2" hole for venting:

Used eDead paint on:

Built the spacer:

Put sealant on the spacer:

Installed the spacer:

Covered the spacer in eDead:

Installed the sub!
Old 06-10-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice -- I wonder how much better yours sounds with the eDead everywhere compared to the install I did which consisted only of the caulked spacer (by the time deadening got here he didn't see the need to deaden more unless we amp them later).

As far as the 250/1 -- that will give you 50-70 wRMS more per sub (approximately) -- might wish to go for more power, they can handle it, but it may not be necessary depending on other subs, etc. (and if it still sounds relatively rattle free with a lot more power).

But yea you can easily run them both off of a mono amp with parallel/series wiring. Definitely don't need or want a 4 ch amp for them -- 2 channel or mono amp.

Hard to explain wiring through text though -- so look here are eDs sample diagrams (should summarize all your questions -- post if there is any confusion):
http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/ele...gns_wiring.php
Old 06-11-2007, 01:48 AM
On The Tree

KICKER ZX250.2
125wX2 @ 2 ohms RMS.
85wX2 @ 4 ohms RMS

you will not be disapointed with a kicker amp, one of the top of the lines out right now. i want to do the exact setup as you but with this amp.

Last edited by funkymonkeys409; 06-11-2007 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats a good looking install.
all you need is to wire both 4 ohm coils in parallel and hook the left to the left channel and the right to the right channel for a 2 ohm on each channel load.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies and tips. I emailed eD before I put them in asking the same questions. Their reply was a mono, 2 channel, or 4 channel will work, just make sure to run it at 1ohm or 4ohms. If they would have just linked that page, it would have helped a lot more. So thanks Fred.

They sound really great, it's unbelievable that they are 6.5's. It's more like 6.5 + 6.5 = 13. There's no vibration noise anywhere near the subs, but it does rattle the front passenger cup holder. The only problem I have run into is that I used the bolts that held the original speakers in place, because they were black, and screwed the speaker into just the MDF and it seems that the subs are beating their way out. I'm going to have to get some metal screws and go all the way through.

Nothing against Kicker, but I have had nothing but great results from JL products and unless something is significantly cheaper, I probably won't stray. I think I'm even going to waste the extra $50 to get the limited black edition amps.... God I hate being **** about that stuff but I love the black on black car.

If I got a 300/4 and some front speakers, would it be worth it to hook the subs to the amp?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The 300/4 is an awesome amp, but those eD speakers will take 150 watts a piece. The 300/4 doesn't have the power for those plus some front speakers. You have to find a 4 channel amp that puts like 150-200 watts at 2 ohm. The JL version of this would be to buy their 450/4 or you can buy two 300/2s and run one for the rear and one for the front.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:56 AM
Teching In

I was trying to take baby steps with improvements, that's why I was asking about 300/4 with the eD's. That's a mute point now though... I agree with you about the 450/4, that is an awesome amp, but it costs almost as must as a 300/4 and a 500/1, which is what I want.

I went shopping around at local electronics stores...

I ended up buying two Pioneer amps, a 6300F and a 7300M, for less than one JL amp... I'm telling myself it's temporary, but we'll see.

One shop I went to had some left overs from an insurance claim because a door was damaged. Some guy had his entire system replaced because one speaker looked bad...So I was told. I got a JL-VR650CSi and a JL-VR650CXi for $120. As soon as I got home I tested them and they all work perfectly. What a deal, would cost about $400+tax and/or shipping new. While I was there, I asked how much for a Alpine CDA-9885, he said $250, I said I'll take it.

When I install it all...

Alpine CDA-9885 Head Unit (Installed)
Pioneer GM-6300F 4-Channel Amp
Pioneer GM-7300M Mono Amp
JL Audio VR650CSi Component Speakers
JL Audio VR650CXi Coaxial Speakers (Installed)
Elemental Design 7KV.2 Subwoofers (Installed)

...It should sound good enought to tide me over for a while. Less than $900 spent to replace the entire system with good/great equipment.

I put the coaxials in front with the stock harnesses. How much stuff am I going to have to take off to put wires into the doors from an amp?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Do you think a 8" sub will fit in the sail panel? 4.25 mounting depth
Old 09-28-2007, 07:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by blownh2x
Do you think a 8" sub will fit in the sail panel? 4.25 mounting depth
Not a chance! While you could possibly modify the opening to make a hole for an 8" sub, there isn't room for a 4.25" mounting depth. The eD 7kv.2 sub has only a 3.5" mounting depth and it requires a spacer to keep from hitting the back panel.

Quick Reply: 7Kv.2 Install