Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

*** CUSTOM 12" partial well box enclosure... PROGRESS pics inside^^^

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default *** CUSTOM 12" partial well box enclosure... PROGRESS pics inside^^^

alright.....some may remember this box I made a couple weeks back: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/733066-final-install-pics-custom-single-12-partial-well-box-enclosure.html

I am swapping out my 12" TC-9 for a 12" TC-2000 because the TC-2000 performs much better in sealed applications where the TC-9 likes ported.

I need a new box now though because it is a little small for the TC-2000 -- I would probably keep it still even but the mounting depth is not sufficient (I believe...haven't actually tried yet).

The old box is for sale -- along with the amp rack to the right of it. The long boards everything rests on is not included (unless you really want to pay to ship them as well..much cheaper to purchase your own). Best offer takes it (within reason). Check out thread linked above for more details, or ask questions.

fredmr@gmail.com

[[[F/S thread link to be inserted here]]]

===

Below is the new box after a couple hours of work...so still obviously a long way to go. The amp will be mounted vertically on the side of the box. In the end....it's going to turn out to be the old box, basically extended downwards. It's kinda going to be built as 2 separate boxes, with a piece of MDT layered between them -- and that will be cutout somewhere along the red circle you can see in the pics. Decided on the 2 piece design for more solid construction, and better use of the space. I was going to just cut out the bottom of the old one, but the side of the box would not look as clean so figured just build another.

Space available will be between 1.3 and 1.6 cubic feet....and if I do end up around 1.6 cu.ft. or more -- I will go ported.....if I can make the port fit...

sorry...a pic of the box underneath would help it make more sense of why the circle cutout will be off set, and how the top piece overlays...etc..

if you're wondering how the back wall will be secured to the bottom...yea so am I -- I meant for it to be back further on the overhang so I could get screws in from the bottom, but that isn't possible now -- so I think I will just add a strip of MDF behind the back wall, screw/glue that into the piece under it and screw/glue if forward into the back wall which will just be glued to the floor... and along the inside of the back wall I'll add a 1x1 of 1.5x1.5 strip of lumber for bracing......

---

I'm obviously losing the whole nice part of my former idea in retaining almost all of the trunk space...so that kinda sux.. -so sorry for the lame box idea post -- it's mostly for me, so that when I browse the forums I see that this box hasn't been completed, and then I will be motivated...kinda.

Last edited by fredmr39; 07-29-2007 at 02:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

NEW pics from today.....didn't have much time -- but actually got a good amount done -- everything lines up, now just a matter of cutting, sanding, shaping, bracing, double baffle of some sort etc..... thats the fun stuff tho since it starts to take shape

again, posting this mostly gives me a chance to look at it while I'm at work and give me ideas of how to finish -- so sorry for the many pics

(can see in the pics below the area that will be cutout to reveal the lower chamber necessary for the increased volume... it looks like you can make it bigger, but you really can't easily since the corners of the well are so rounded... )

chamber underneath

- the entire side will be a flat surface for the amp to mount on -- rather than a recessed one like before that allowed me to hide all the carpet seams. I actually still may just make a board to the right of it instead.....but then I will regret not recessing the edges...
Old 07-31-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default TC-2000 pictures

finally coming together.... comparison shots next to old box, and my TC-2000 arrived today (surprisingly)

took the top off of my new box and set it next to the old... the new one is wider, but less deep due to going in front of the hatch latch.... I'm amazed how similar the two turned out -- especially the angle they slope at

I like how my old 10" looks like an 8" in this pic next to the new 12":

a very impressive amount of suspension/rubber surround:
Old 07-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, you just finished that other one not long ago!! You mod your stereo like me...never finished with it...LOL!!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Walking-dead
Damn, you just finished that other one not long ago!! You mod your stereo like me...never finished with it...LOL!!!!
LONG story short -- the TC-9 subwoofer I had purchased is more ideal for ported applications....and not sealed boxes at all (it was reaching xmax with 4-500wRMS only). I definitely wanted to stay sealed for the car. The TC-2000 I swapped the TC-9 for needs more space to work well.....I would have even just kept it in the other box because I really didn't want to make another (no time) but the mounting depth isn't even sufficient.

This box actually would have been done about a week or two after the other one if things with TC Sounds went more smoothly. Let's not get into that though.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that Fred!! Hopefully this works out better for you!!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good thing you bought it before they decided to raise their prices 50-100%
Old 08-01-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95bat
Good thing you bought it before they decided to raise their prices 50-100%
yea at first it was 30-50% with no "real" explanation (though speculation is they are helping/focusing on their mainstream OEM production rather than more time/effort on the DIY buyers that probably doesn't effect their profits much)... then changed it to 50-100%...my favorite part is how you can't access their forums even now..so anyone with questions/etc. will never get answers or info about what they're doing now or anything... very poor business move IMO...makes me think there is something that led them to HAVE to shut down forums...not sure what..
Old 08-01-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default bare MDF

box is done - just needs carpeting, terminal cup and power -- letting it dry, then will carpet and hopefully get completed install pics and opinion on the TC-2000 in this box later tonight

gotta love how I just spread excess liquid nails that squeezes out of the seams all over the box....that's what carpet is for

top piece is a double baffle.....hence the reason it appears to be screwed together in 100 places
Old 08-02-2007, 02:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that box is ugly and huge (it must weight a ton) but im sure its functional.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fast01z28
that box is ugly and huge (it must weight a ton) but im sure its functional.
it does not weigh as much as you would think since I did not add any bracing (besides the brace on the outside under the back lip -- that was necessary to join the pieces together there).

Other than that, it doesn't weight much more than my other one -- it's essentially the exact same box, with that small portion underneath it

Total volume is about 1.35 cubic feet -- I didn't measure exactly and will later -- I didn't really care because it's sealed and I knew it would be within spec.

Not sure what you mean by ugly -- of course it's gonna look ugle bare mdf and with the angles/pieces necessary to make it fit securely in the trunk well. If you've ever tried to lay something flat in the well -- you will realize you can't easily since it is not level and everything is rounded -- dramatically reducing the area you can use 90 degree angles in. The reason for the overhang of the pieces on the left side was so that once the box is together and everything is set I could install it, and sand as necessary to get a perfect fit in case it moved some during assembly. Also, again....the angles -- the box had to sit all the way left (resting partially on the sides of the trunk well) so it has to zig-zag out to fit securely and make the most of the space available.

Here is a link to the finished box: https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/760097-finished-custom-12-box-trunk-well-finally.html

In comparison, I should have taken a pic of it next to my home theatre box I just made - 100lbs with driver -- then it wouldn't look so big
http://picasaweb.google.com/fredmr/E...92361650905778

Last edited by fredmr39; 08-02-2007 at 08:47 AM.