Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

89 5.0 5sp vs. 01 z28 a4

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 89 5.0 5sp vs. 01 z28 a4

Was heading to So. Po. to pick up a friend to go trolling for races. Came off the turn pike spur and filled up the gas tank at the local 7-11. When I was leaving a mint condition 5.0 rolled up to the red light with me pulling up behind him.

Its a two lane road but there was someone in the left lane turning so I didn't want to get stuck behind them. The light turned green and the guy stayed in the right lane, I pulled up beside him in the left. I Kept my car in 2nd at about 15 miles per hour. I got his attention with a little rev and it looked like he was game. I heard him down shift and punch it. I floored it and let my car take care of the rest. I pulled 2 cars on him by 60 or 65 when I let out slowing down hoping for another race. But he asked me to pull over at the next gas station so he could look over my car.

We pulled over up the street at Irving and the kid was real cool. He just bought his a few weeks ago from an old guy down south. It was completely stock aside form a CAI but it was in mint condition. No rust anywhere.

Thought I would share even though it was an obvious win. One that all of you have experienced a gajillion times but it was fun none the less! Worst part is I drove around for 2 hours after picking my friend up looking for more races and couldn't find anything. huh. The doom of living in Maine.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to have an 89 - 92 5.0 5 spd. Headers and Exhaust, Cam, TF Heads, = fast ride and not have to worry about the rear blowing up.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Always nice finding someone with good sportsmanship. I thought I'd run into a lot more street racing in San Antonio but for it's size it isn't much better than where you are by the sounds of it. Congrats on the kill though.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice kill.
That kid lucked out. They are hard to find clean and not butchered up anymore. Man they used to be everywhere....
Old 03-22-2010, 10:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 114 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro98z28
I would love to have an 89 - 92 5.0 5 spd. Headers and Exhaust, Cam, TF Heads, = fast ride and not have to worry about the rear blowing up.
You right about that!! Plus they sound so good with that deep tone and mean lope from a nice cam!!

Originally Posted by TierAngst
Always nice finding someone with good sportsmanship. I thought I'd run into a lot more street racing in San Antonio but for it's size it isn't much better than where you are by the sounds of it. Congrats on the kill though.
It is hard to find other racers with a good attitude, expecially after losing a street race. Most people have to big of an ego, instead of good mentallity. Its too bad really, just takes some common sense most of the time to realize one or the other car is ganna lose.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Nice kill.
That kid lucked out. They are hard to find clean and not butchered up anymore. Man they used to be everywhere....
Man isn't that the truth. Well I talked to him some more today and it turns out it has 117k miles on her. The engine bay has some corrosion (I got a good look at the engine bay when we shot the **** for almost 20 mins at Irving) but other than that; There is no rust or corrosion anywhere. I'm very impressed with the condition and the kids attitude. Can't wait to get in some more street races and see what else the locals have to offer!
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good kill OP! I love 5.0s and would love to pick up a clean, stock one someday...but thats near impossible without paying an arm and a leg. My old 5.0 was pretty butchered lol. But they are fun as HELL to drive!!
Old 03-23-2010, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thats great. Most kids that have them act like morons at times.

They are fun. And drugs would be a cheaper hobby than modding one-you get addicted. Been modding mine since 92 when I was a kid. I can't believe how expensive they are when tons were mad and they were dirt cheap. I paid 14 grand for mine on the road new and it has everything sans leather and auto.

http://www.mk3.us/mike/stang/buildup.asp
Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
They are fun. And drugs would be a cheaper hobby than modding one-you get addicted. Been modding mine since 92 when I was a kid. I can't believe how expensive they are when tons were mad and they were dirt cheap. I paid 14 grand for mine on the road new and it has everything sans leather and auto.

http://www.mk3.us/mike/stang/buildup.asp
Nice stang Mike. Good to see someone still has a clean one... those things are gonna be rare someday- might have been 10million made, but by now there's 9.5 million in the wrecking yard! Don't think there was ever a funner car to beat on and mod in all of history.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

5.0s are a dime a dozen in NC..heck I've got one and owned 3 and I grew up around chevys..nice ones are still out there..my neighbor has 3 of the nicest around and could tell you where about 20 other nice ones are in a 10 mile radius..but yea..they're all made of gold now apparently
Old 03-23-2010, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Nice kill.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Hak
Teching In

Nice kill OP. Sounds like you beat a real nice lookin' Stang. I would love to pick me up a Fox, but the old lady thinks they look like crap (too boxy/old man car look), but I think they look dead sexy, especially a coupe.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Foxbodies are fun cars, I bought a 92 5.0 Notchback back in August of 09.. It was a full out drag car when i bought it (Yall are completely correct, it is impossible to find a well taken care of Foxbody for a decent price)... It had CAI, Full Exhaust, Cobra Intake Mani, MSD Ignition, 3.55 rear end gears, a mile cam, C-4 Racing Trans w/ B&M Racing Shifter, & ET Streets... Fast Car but not fast enough for all those mods... I think it was due to the wear & tear on the engine.