Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2v Stang vs RT Challenger & LS1 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 09:47 PM
Hak
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2v Stang vs RT Challenger & LS1 Camaro

Hey all, I'm a brand new member that has been browsing the forum for a few years. Just finally decided to register and open up an introduction with an old, but brief street race that occurred downtown a while back.

My former car: bolt on 00 Mustang GT.

I was heading down the road when I noticed a new Challenger, black. The car looked real sweet. I tried to check the badges to see if it was a V6 or an 8. It was an RT.

The street was 3 lanes on both sides. He was darting in and out of traffic, going through bursts of speed here and there. I knew he may be game. Luck have it, we were caught at a stop light. I was in the far left, he in the far right. A car was in the middle. I did not know if he saw me due to the car inbetween us. I just got ready to respond to his launch and stalled up.

As the light turned green, he shot out a good 1/2 car's length before I reacted. My 315's hooked and I shot out in 1st gear. As I started to wind out the gear, I pulled a nose on him. 2nd kicked in with a chirp and I pulled another length before I called it quits. Traffic ahead was closing fast.

Another traffic light, but I was a few cars back from the intersection. I see a Camaro. As the light turns green I weave in and out to see what type of Camaro. It's a Z28, 98-02.

After a miles or so, I get to catch a light with him. He's in the center lane, and I'm in the right. We sit for a couple seconds. Then, the Challenger pulls up in the far left. I give a rev. The Camaro driver looks at me. I point at the Challenger. He nods. I stall up again. The light turns green. I jump out and start pulling. The Camaro spins, but he's still next to me. Half a second later he hooks and is creeping. Through first we're side by side. When I hit second the Camaro begins to walk me. We shut down early due to traffic again. My front bumper is just behind his rear bumper. I look around for the Challenger, it's not even around. A couple seconds later, he flies by. I guess he didn't join in on our possible 3 way.

Hope you enjoyed the read. I'm just enjoying the brew, so forgive any typo's. I knew the LS1 would pull, but was more curious about the RT. The lil 2v didn't do to bad.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

good story and props for posting the ls pulled on ya, most people wont if they get pulled on
Old 03-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like that could have been a sick race at the end if the Challenger decided to run. Anyways good kill/death. What mods did you have at the time?
Old 03-19-2010, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like good times.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 PM
Hak
Teching In

Mods: o/r prochamber, catback, underdrive pulleys, upper plenum, throttle body, tune. Also lowered with some wider tires. Not much, but a lot better then stock. Stock auto's for the 99-04 are sloths. The auto hesitates and does not shift quick enough under a stock tune. Very reliable car though, got 168k+ miles out of it before I traded it in.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Nice death, i remember when i raced an ls1 with my old 03 mustang gt (stock) lets just say after 1st gear is wasnt pretty for me, come to think about i still cant beat an ls1 with my 08 mustang gt
Old 03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
12 Second Club

i love this thread

OP good kill and death. Sounds like you might need a tune and a stall converter then it should really bang outa the hole.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought those newer 3v run good?
Old 03-20-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blackls1ta00
i thought those newer 3v run good?
The power of Reading Comprehension compels you!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Restricted User

Ha this is an awesome thread I probably wouldn't admit getting beat by a stang lol
Old 03-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Hak
Teching In

PNYKLR-TA: I planned on doing a stall and gears. I actually bought the parts, but decided not to install them or dump more money into the Mustang. It was getting high on miles and its main purpose was to be something fun to commute in. Traded it in and sold / gave parts to some of my buds.

Thanks for the replies all. Win or lose, I always try to have some fun on the road.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

This thread reminds me of back in the earlier part of 2001,I was driving my friend's stock (Except for a flowmaster exhaust)M5 GT and raced a stock M6 99 SS.I remember we both caught a stoplight,it was late and there were no cars around.I got a great launch and we were side by side,the whole time he was spinning I think.I was thinking the LS1 F-Body's don't seem to be as fast as everyone was saying then.WRONG.As we hit second gear,he started walking us.By third gear,we weren't even in the same race.I stopped midway through 3rd,I wasn't going to be able to catch him anyways.Let him get clocked 1st.I just watched the SS disappear on up the road.I still thought the Mustang had a better sounding exhaust though.He ended up going to the same bar,and we talked a little.He said all he had was a K&N filter and he had fun running the cars.I told him it was good fun until 2nd gear for us,then not so much.

Last edited by EVILWS6; 03-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA

i love this thread

OP good kill and death. Sounds like you might need a tune and a stall converter then it should really bang outa the hole.
He said he had a tune. But the converter would help. What about some good ol N2O? That would be the cheapest way to keep up with those pesky LS1s!!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Good kill and death OP. The challengers are dissapointing, if only they hadn't made them so heavy.....guess you could say the same about the new camaro....
Old 03-25-2010, 11:35 PM
Hak
Teching In

I can understand the decision that resulted in a heavy Challenger; use an existing platform to save money. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great looking car, but I can't get around its hefty weight. I'm a huge fan of old Mopar E bodies (Challengers and Cudas). Would have bought me a newer Challenger, but the weight convinced me otherwise. Maybe I'll grab me a used one in a few years if the price is decent.

Quick Reply: 2v Stang vs RT Challenger & LS1 Camaro