Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Friendly sparring between Chevelle and ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Friendly sparring between Chevelle and ZR1

*Sadly no video even though my friends behind us tried, cliffs at bottom for those who aren't interested*

Me and some friends were out enjoying the cooler weather and took the back way home from a cruise night instead of the interstate. So it was the Chevelle, a bolt on Trans Am, and a buddy's bolt on Sierra.

Up ahead I see a silver C6 pull out and don't think much of it at first. As we get closer I see flares so I think "cool, a Grand Sport". But I do a double take as I roll by him and see the split gills and the ZR1 badges. I really want to hear it so I give a friendly rev but his windows are dark so I can't see any kind of response.

I figure oh well and cruise on about my business. Once some traffic clears up down the road he starts coming up on my left side. My lane is open but there's a damn mini van in his lane about 6 busses up. We're rolling along at about 30mph or so and he just lays into the throttle hard. I barely have time to listen to the supercharger scream and do the same, getting a first gear downshift. To my surprise I stop his pull immediately and we both lock up for a bit then lift because of the traffic in his lane. I can only guess he had just nailed it from 2nd gear instead of downshifting. There's more light going through his windshield and I can see him smiling so me and my g/f both give him thumbs ups.

We both roll on down the road and low and behold the mini van turns off but the Corvette is still hanging back. Then we come up to a yellow light and I get on the brakes and he does the same. By the time we get green my hands are shakey with adrenaline hoping he wants to play again for the sake of fun.

I roll out slow and so does he and then he punches it from a 5mph roll or so. This is perfect for my ET streets and they bite hard. Our friends behind us later told us he was spinning but just enough to be loose and not smoke the tires. I let her rip through first, 2nd comes with a firm chirp and I see his headlights in my mirror about a car and a half back. We are coming into town and the highway patrol has been out like flies on **** lately so I just shut it down since I know what would happen eventually anyway...he blows by (just like he would have another 15-20mph into the race anyway) and I bask in the glorious sound of the whine then the rasp of the exhaust. More thumbs up are exchanged and we went out separate ways at the light.

It was probably the most fun encounter I've ever had on the street.

Cliffs:

Dick around #1: 30-35mph roll on the ZR1s 2nd gear punch, I get a downshift to 1st and stop the pull up to 2nd when traffic interferes

Dick around #2: 5mph roll out of a light, ZR1 spins enough to get loose while I dead hook and rip and shut down around 60mph with 1.5 car lead remaining (knowing a slaughter would be coming shortly and not wanting to risk doing 80+mph in a 40mph by a trooper).
Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

zr1's are so sick...
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it was a blast! For what it was... enjoy the ZR1 KILL ha ha ha
Old 08-20-2012, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

It was awesome, but I guess in the end one of those "had to be there" sort of things. Just too good not to share since it's my first street story in a good while.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Pro 5-60mph rolls.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

**** happens. I wanted it shut down before cresting the hill.

Guess I'm just not gangsta enough. Gonna have to take off my "El Mere Velle" window stickers.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

El velle-o rapido
Old 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

I like it, but definitely doesn't quite live up to the name. Need some much lower 11s or 10s for that I think haha