Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2008 E85 STI vs me n/a

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2008 E85 STI vs me n/a

Okay, I had my first run tonight with my new setup (see sig) with me running n/a against a 2008 STI running 27 psi on E85. He has a mail order tune so no dyno numbers, but said it should be around 420 rwhp he thinks. Does that sound right? I know nothing about those cars lol. Anyways, he honks it off from a 2nd gear roll, and when I shut down around the middle of 4th or so I had a solid 2 car lead, and was still pulling. He's a pretty cool guy from the gym, and really wanted to run me, so we both knew it was bound to happen sooner or later lol
Old 08-08-2013, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont think a stockish turbo STI should even come close to those numbers.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty sure a stock turbo Sti won't be any higher than 350whp even with e85.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well i'm not sure if he is running the stock turbo or not to be honest. I'll ask when I see him. At 27 psi would it most likely be a stock turbo then?
Old 08-08-2013, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Note:

Mobile can't see your sig
Old 08-08-2013, 10:32 PM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Okay, I had my first run tonight with my new setup (see sig) with me running n/a against a 2008 STI running 27 psi on E85. He has a mail order tune so no dyno numbers, but said it should be around 420 rwhp he thinks. Does that sound right? I know nothing about those cars lol. Anyways, he honks it off from a 2nd gear roll, and when I shut down around the middle of 4th or so I had a solid 2 car lead, and was still pulling. He's a pretty cool guy from the gym, and really wanted to run me, so we both knew it was bound to happen sooner or later lol
nice kill

not to question what you know about the STi you ran, but i highly doubt his at 27psi specially on a mail order tune, and his not making 420whp considering how aggressive the tuning needs to be able get close to that number, no way a mail in order tune can give, unless the owner of the STi or tuner gives no **** about blowing up a car

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
I dont think a stockish turbo STI should even come close to those numbers.
just for the sake of bullshit dyno numbers but why cant the stock turbo STi get that number or close to it?

Originally Posted by V8EATR
I'm pretty sure a stock turbo Sti won't be any higher than 350whp even with e85.

but they can run low to mid 11s tho huh? right @ nearly full weight (3200-3300lb)

Last edited by DSS; 08-08-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On race gas? On alcohol injection?
maybe high 11s with a 112 trap or something along those lines.

No offense, but from what I've seen, they're normally mid 300whp, 22psi or so and no higher unless they plan on breaking something. Of course you can go more if you inject it, raise boost, up timing into the 30* mark and what not... but from what we've seen on here and in person... No.

Do you think the STI in the first post was making 420whp on a mail order tune? Sure, you can make 420whp in the car on stock turbo... The question is... can you do it safely and reliably? If you up boost to 27psi i'm sure you're overheating the stock turbo by then, and its being less efficient on that note.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:36 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odthetruth
On race gas? On alcohol injection?
maybe high 11s with a 112 trap or something along those lines.

No offense, but from what I've seen, they're normally mid 300whp, 22psi or so and no higher unless they plan on breaking something. Of course you can go more if you inject it, raise boost, up timing into the 30* mark and what not... but from what we've seen on here and in person... No.

Do you think the STI in the first post was making 420whp on a mail order tune? Sure, you can make 420whp in the car on stock turbo... The question is... can you do it safely and reliably? If you up boost to 27psi i'm sure you're overheating the stock turbo by then, and its being less efficient on that note.

look at my sig to get a lil bit of info, did it both on e85 and vp109 race gas, from early 2006 to late 2009 street racing the hell out of the car almost every night

the key word is " normally "

im replying to two other guys that claimed it cant be done

over heat the stock turbo? do you have extensive experience with this? i pushed my stock turbo as high as 29psi and it still continue to make power and tons of more torque with no sign of heat soaking or " over heating " the turbo, even tho on flowchart data the stock turbo is supposedly out of breath by 18psi hahahaha

for many years, almost every shop that tunes Subarus uses a very low reading AWD dynos, but lately alot of shop has been switching to the high reading dynos for better advertisement

Last edited by DSS; 08-09-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DSS
look at my sig to get a lil bit of info, did it both on e85 and vp109 race gas, from early 2006 to late 2009 street racing the hell out of the car almost every night

the key word is " normally "

im replying to two other guys that claimed it cant be done

over heat the stock turbo? do you have extensive experience with this? i pushed my stock turbo as high as 29psi and it still continue to make power and tons of more torque with no sign of heat soaking or " over heating " the turbo, even tho on flowchart data the stock turbo is supposedly out of breath by 18psi hahahaha

for many years, almost every shop that tunes Subarus uses a very low reading AWD dynos, but lately alot of shop has been switching to the high reading dynos for better advertisement
You knew damn well when I said 'overheating' the turbo, I meant heat soak, making it less efficient. I even stated it'd make it less efficient. No, I don't have extensive experience with subarus nor would I care to. Everything I've said still doesn't change.

What all is involved for that 'stock turbo world record'? Is it the norm? Is it easily repeatable for anybody to say 'hey, guess what... time to change my sig. world record worthy right here'

I'm just trying to grasp this. People here can say they wouldn't expect 400whp on a stock turbo, and they'd be right for the most part. They'd probably be right for 80-90% of the ones they'd encounter or more if they were on stock turbo.

Even you don't think the STi OP ran into was making 420whp... it shows how difficult it must be to get there. Can it be done? On E85, or race gas with meth \ alky injection?

So because STis are using Mustang Dynos or loaded dynos that are dropping the numbers, the numbers aren't legit? They aren't comparable to other vehicles on the same dyno \ same temps, etc? Are you saying we can expect 400whp stis because now they are using higher reading dynos? So there's going to be a surge of 400+whp stis soon?

400whp+ out of a stock STI is less then 10% of 'max' stock turbo setups, IMO.
Old 08-09-2013, 04:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

2000 Camaro SS 6-speed, TMS 370 LQ9, Pacesetter long tubes, ORY pipe, SLP LM 1's, TSP stage 2.5/5.3 (862) heads, TMS custom cam, LS6 intake, SLP lid, ASP UD crank pulley, ported TB, SSRA, McLeod RST clutch and flywheel, Detroit Trutract with stock 10 bolt, 4.10's, custom tune, NX wet kit w/100 shot, 17 X 9 chrome ZR1 rims with Nitto dr's.

For those of you who can't see my sig, hopefully this cut and paste will show it. I'm just telling you what STI owner told me here guys. I'm gonna get more exact details when I see him next
Old 08-09-2013, 05:05 AM
TECH Resident

On the shot or off the shot? What are you putting down for both?
Old 08-09-2013, 06:04 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by odthetruth
You knew damn well when I said 'overheating' the turbo, I meant heat soak, making it less efficient. I even stated it'd make it less efficient. No, I don't have extensive experience with subarus nor would I care to. Everything I've said still doesn't change.

What all is involved for that 'stock turbo world record'? Is it the norm? Is it easily repeatable for anybody to say 'hey, guess what... time to change my sig. world record worthy right here'

I'm just trying to grasp this. People here can say they wouldn't expect 400whp on a stock turbo, and they'd be right for the most part. They'd probably be right for 80-90% of the ones they'd encounter or more if they were on stock turbo.

Even you don't think the STi OP ran into was making 420whp... it shows how difficult it must be to get there. Can it be done? On E85, or race gas with meth \ alky injection?

So because STis are using Mustang Dynos or loaded dynos that are dropping the numbers, the numbers aren't legit? They aren't comparable to other vehicles on the same dyno \ same temps, etc? Are you saying we can expect 400whp stis because now they are using higher reading dynos? So there's going to be a surge of 400+whp stis soon?

400whp+ out of a stock STI is less then 10% of 'max' stock turbo setups, IMO.
well i have push the stock turbo to 29psi and it still continue to make power and tons more torque, that tells me its efficient enough even at that range, where did you get that stupid information to make your statement, because its flat out misinformed

just your typical bolt ons: a well set up full exhaust, well set up full intake on racegas/e85 and a really badass tune can get you there, and of course its not the norm, when did i exactly say it was? of course its not easy, its actually quite rare, but the point is it can be done and those two guys that made the claim are wrong, i dont know why you keep bring up the norm

heres a good video how stupid dyno numbers can be

Last edited by DSS; 08-09-2013 at 06:21 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Launching!

i understand what both of you guys are saying. but i do also believe that the 420awhp number is extremely hard to reach with just e85 and a mail order tune. you said it yourself, that you have a "badass" dyno tune. which the sti that raced did not. seems like a bit of an "apples to oranges" comparison.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:33 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 8ty8 LS1
i understand what both of you guys are saying. but i do also believe that the 420awhp number is extremely hard to reach with just e85 and a mail order tune. you said it yourself, that you have a "badass" dyno tune. which the sti that raced did not. seems like a bit of an "apples to oranges" comparison.
im not trying to justify that the STi OP raced is making 420whp i have back doubts my self, i am mainly correcting the two misinformed post made by the other member on post #2 and post #3
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM
Launching!

oooh ok gotcha my mistake
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DSS
im not trying to justify that the STi OP raced is making 420whp i have back doubts my self, i am mainly correcting the two misinformed post made by the other member on post #2 and post #3
Yes, were are all aware dyno numbers dont mean everything, but substantial claims require substantial evidence.

Some quick searching I found most people are maxing out around the high 300's WTQ with full bolt ons, E85, and real tunes, a couple a hair over 400, but not WHP.

So I doubt a mail order tune is going to do that. It might be what they advertise to the crank.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1729586

And when the turbo stops holding boost up top, its out of efficiency range.

Last edited by LightningTeg; 08-09-2013 at 07:12 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Yes, were are all aware dyno numbers dont mean everything, but substantial claims require substantial evidence.

Some quick searching I found most people are maxing out around the high 300's WTQ with full bolt ons, E85, and real tunes, a couple a hair over 400, but not WHP.

So I doubt a mail order tune is going to do that. It might be what they advertise to the crank.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1729586

And when the turbo stops holding boost up top, its out of efficiency range.
i really hope your not serious with that thread, the " research " result you got is the norm, i for one did not just read some random thread, but iexperience it first hand.

for the sake of dyno numbers, low reading AWD mustang/dynoDynamic dyno when converted to average 2WD dynojet/dynapack its often 15-20% difference, since you did some research im guessing you know which dyno is used on subaru platform

Last edited by DSS; 08-09-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Staging Lane

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DSS
You have an STi and you know a lot about them and thats great and I get you are trying to inform people of what they are capable of but its not anywhere near the norm and you know it. Last year at Byron during the subaru shootout the fastest car in the 2.0 unlimited class ran 12.2. Most of the time subarus are a big joke with super bro owners. 90% of them are "stage 2 bro" and make 300whp and trap 108 and get plowed by everything on the street.

Now I'll wait for your typical rebuttal and video posting of fast STi's but the fact is nobody cares.

Also as far as running 11's on the stock turbo, thats great but what did it trap? 112?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DSS
i really hope your not serious with that thread, and seriously are you really going to question my own experience? i have done this since 2006,

heres some old *** videos for **** and giggles

the GTO makes 460whp and runs high 11s traping as high 121mph on sacramento raceway
Ok posting videos of your car, "Record breaking stock turbo car", and comparing it to someone with a mail order tune. totally relevant.

Real world, you don't see many Subarus wrecking havoc with minimal mods. At the end of the day, we dont know anything really about this car
Old 08-09-2013, 08:24 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8EATR
You have an STi and you know a lot about them and thats great and I get you are trying to inform people of what they are capable of but its not anywhere near the norm and you know it. Last year at Byron during the subaru shootout the fastest car in the 2.0 unlimited class ran 12.2. Most of the time subarus are a big joke with super bro owners. 90% of them are "stage 2 bro" and make 300whp and trap 108 and get plowed by everything on the street.

Now I'll wait for your typical rebuttal and video posting of fast STi's but the fact is nobody cares.

Also as far as running 11's on the stock turbo, thats great but what did it trap? 112?

you should read your own post #3, i am mainly correcting your misinformed claims

112? yea maybe 19psi on 91 cali **** pump gas hahaha

heres a beloved GTO making 460whp trapping as high as 121 running high 11s
http://www.streetfire.net/video/bayarearacingorg-gto-vs-sti_120200.htm
oh wait heres a stockish GTR

Ok posting videos of your car, "Record breaking stock turbo car", and comparing it to someone with a mail order tune. totally relevant.

Real world, you don't see many Subarus wrecking havoc with minimal mods. At the end of the day, we dont know anything really about this car
read your own post #2, like v8eater you guys are making misinformed claims, i for one highly doubt the STi that OP raced is even near 420whp, but you both came out making misinformed claims like it has never been done before, which is im trying to correct both of you on,

im not trying to argue what is the norm or not, you and v8eater claimed something wrong and im here to correct both of you and yes it can be done, thats a fact

Last edited by DSS; 08-09-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 E85 STI vs me n/a