Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Anyone ever race or see a Lexus SC430 run?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever race or see a Lexus SC430 run?

I have a guy at work that lost to my bosses 2002 Lexus SC430 on the highway. He has a 93 Mustang with a fair amount of mods and 3.73 gears. As far as I know the Lexus is stock. So that got me curious and I did a google search to see how fast the SC430's are. What I found about the performance is:

4.3L V8 with 5 speed Auto trans
3800 Lb
300 hp @ 5600
325 tq @ 3400

1/4 mile is listed as 14.6 @ 98

So I teased him a little about the loss (based on the above numbers) and he got very defensive saying the Lexus would destroy my Formula on the highway as well. He is so confident that he wants to bet me $5,000. I was speechless. I told him I didn't have 5K but he said I could put up my boat (worth about that) to his cash. This guy is a big gambler and I know he has the money. But this has me nervous. According to what I read he shouldn't stand a chance from say 60-130 against me. I ran 13.0 @ 106 and have 3.23 gears. This should be easy money but I'm still reluctant. How and why is he so confident that I would lose?

Are these cars under rated or something? If anyone has ever seen a late model Lexus SC430 run at the track I would love to hear what it ran.

Thanks,
Old 09-16-2005, 11:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if hes stock u think you would destroy him. Mabey the guys just butthurt and running his mouth. But If I didnt have the cash to run, I might be leary
Old 09-16-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm definately leary. I don't have the cash but I do own my boat so I suppose techniqually I could afford to lose (just wouldn't have a boat any more). I can ask my boss if it's completely stock and I'm sure he'll tell me. He doesn't seem like a guy that would mod a car anyway. But then again he beat a fast mustang on the highway so either my friends 5.0 is not setup for top end or the lexus might be modded by a previous owner if it wasn't bought new. But I doubt that too.

I don't know. I just don't want to lose my boat because I find out after the fact he has a 400 HP car and not 300/325. But on the other hand, I could get the headers, heads and cam I have been wanting forever with the 5K if I win.
Old 09-16-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about the Lexus, but I'd keep 2 things in mind:

1. He raced him with what sounds like a mild bolt on '93 mustang, I don't know what they were rated at but he probably doesn't even have 300 hp.
2. He also has 3.73 gears, even with OD or a 5 spd those aren't over highway friendly and he probably ran out of motor.

However, if it were me, unless I was desperate for the money, I'd not bet my boat assuming I liked my boat. And if I did need $5k that bad, I'd sell the boat first, might not get $5k, but you'd get more than if you lost. Maybe bet him like $100 or something, $5k is a lot of money IMO.

Just my $0.02.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think about it this way. Blowout, bad plug, hit rev limiter in excitement. The point is, 5K is a HUGE gamble. I think you could take the car based on the above stats, no problem, and i have known people who gamble at high stakes. My point is, how lucky do you feel? remember...anything can happen on the street.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree. I know the mustang is a 5.0 limited edition yellow vert. The previous owner did heads/cam , exhuast and 3.73 gears. From a stop his mustang is fast but he has no track times. But is an auto and the 3.73 gears may have hurt him up high. I would much rather bet $100 but he has all ready given me the "But your so sure your gonna win" speech.

I would just love to see what they really run at the track before I agreed to anything. I mean if you look for LS1 track times your gonna get some saying they run 12.8 and others 13.9 @ 101. But as we all know, most fall inbetween those two times. I saw 14.4-14.6 @ 98 being reported but those were all based on manufactures numbers. I am yet to see any real proof of what this car actually ran a 1/4 mile in when driven by a real life person (Lol).
Old 09-16-2005, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, as to the stang' running out of motor with 3.73's...how fast did they go!?!? My 4.10's are good for 110 or so i would say, + then we have OD...
Old 09-16-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Think about it this way. Blowout, bad plug, hit rev limiter in excitement. The point is, 5K is a HUGE gamble. I think you could take the car based on the above stats, no problem, and i have known people who gamble at high stakes. My point is, how lucky do you feel? remember...anything can happen on the street.
I know what you mean. However I am covered on that note. The salesman here brought up that very point and said the wager would be null and void if mechanical failure of any kind should happen. He agreed that was fine so if I get a flat tire,transmission fails, engine blows or whatever then the race would be nullified until the car was fixed.

I think I'll try and talk him into a slightly lessor wager. Everything I read says I should win by a few car lenghts at least but his extreme confidence in my loss is making me very nervous.

Thanks for the input guys
Old 09-16-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does your boss know about this potential bet yet? If not, make sure your buddy with the Stang doesn't see you do this but follow your boss after work or something and try a highway run or two. If you beat him without your Stang buddy knowing then place the bet. If you lose or it is extremely close then I wouldn't bet. The key is testing the water without the Stang guy knowing. I'm not sure how you would keep your boss from telling him but I'm sure you can figure that out.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
12 Second Club

you will win by alot more then a few car lengths. my friends grandma has one and he borrowed it from her for his senior prom last year. and they were all talking about how fast it was. i raced him from a 60 roll and i even started in 3rd gear and by about 115 i was atleast 10 cars ahead of him. that was before my cam/tune. so i was about 330-340rwhp. you are probably right in that power area and if you start at a good rpm unlike me. then you will put countless lengths on him.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I don't see any way possible that he could even hang with you. There's no way that Lexus is going to keep up with an LS1 off a roll. It might be close for about 2 seconds but as soon as your rpm's climb, so should the amount of carlengths. But like everybody said, I wouldn't bet your boat on it. Anything can happen. I agree to try and just go for a smaller amount of money. If that guy gives you the "but you're so sure you should win" speech, tell him to STFU and not be bitter because his heads and cam mustang is a brick. Good luck.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a good friend who has been working for lexus for 20+ years. He drives every lexus and Ive taken him for rides in my minorbolt on Formula. He crapped his pants, and its not even that fast lol. If he beat the Stang, then you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, in all honesty, I don't see that lexus beating you. Still wouldn't bet my boat.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is what I have learned. The Lexus was definately bought brand new in 2002 and has had nothing done to it performance wise. I don't know how fast they raced to but the race started at 65 so my guess would be 130ish. The Mustang did have an issue with OD so he had no fourth gear.

My guess is the Mustang ran out of rpm's in 3rd gear. I may be wrong but with 205/55/16 tires and 3.73 gears I think 3rd tops out at around 125ish. The Lexus has a 5 speed auto that can hit 156 before the governor kicks in. I think he just ran out of gear/rpms and does not realise that my car would not.

I almost would feel bad about accepting this race now. Not much chance he can win this bet since my car is in tip top shape and I would want a predetermined 60 mph rolling start (kicks me into top of second gear). I think for his sake I will try and persuade him to run for fifty bucks and keep it friendly.

Thanks guys, you have all been a big help.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
I have a guy at work that lost to my bosses 2002 Lexus SC430 on the highway. He has a 93 Mustang with a fair amount of mods and 3.73 gears. As far as I know the Lexus is stock. So that got me curious and I did a google search to see how fast the SC430's are. What I found about the performance is:

4.3L V8 with 5 speed Auto trans
3800 Lb
300 hp @ 5600
325 tq @ 3400

1/4 mile is listed as 14.6 @ 98

So I teased him a little about the loss (based on the above numbers) and he got very defensive saying the Lexus would destroy my Formula on the highway as well. He is so confident that he wants to bet me $5,000. I was speechless. I told him I didn't have 5K but he said I could put up my boat (worth about that) to his cash. This guy is a big gambler and I know he has the money. But this has me nervous. According to what I read he shouldn't stand a chance from say 60-130 against me. I ran 13.0 @ 106 and have 3.23 gears. This should be easy money but I'm still reluctant. How and why is he so confident that I would lose?

Are these cars under rated or something? If anyone has ever seen a late model Lexus SC430 run at the track I would love to hear what it ran.

Thanks,
dude, just be careful. Check this site out:

http://www.swiftracing.com/

I took my truck and had it dynoed there. They make some serious stuff there, seen a is300 putting down 850whp. I would of never believe it if I didn't see it on the dyno where my truck was too. Some serious interesting stuff. They also do the sc430 and others there too.

This place helps lexus's race division and know what they are doing.

It's very possible your buddies who has the cash may have his modified. If it's bonestock, he's not going to touch you, but if he's putting up 5k, he may get some work done to it. Check out the stages, you will see what a computer change, etc can do to these things.

All I can say it's amazing after watching that dyno run on that is300.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Teching In

Split the pot with the boss. Half for each if he truly has to let out so he doesn't win.

If you smoke him anyways then drop him 1k as insurance.

Plan is set, now just decide which heads and cam you want with your winnings
Old 09-16-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

if he wants to race for 5000 and you want to race for 100, just race him 50 times haha

dude that thing is not gonna be fast, and so what if he beat the 5.0 on the highway, thats not a big accomplishment.

if you really were gonna race for 5k, i say n2o 150 shot
Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hell, if the Lexus is stock take the mans money. I would, especially if he's a gambling man and would pay up.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

A little insurance.. pick up a nitrous kit, some colder plugs, and a little race gas for safety and spray a 150 wet shot If he's stock, youll murder him by bus lengths.. If he's not.. then you probably will murder him anyways

But just for your info, 5.0 has terrible topend in factory form and thats why the lexus could even remotely hang. You shouldn't have any problem with the lexus. I raced one with my 140k mile automatic lt1 with stock opti/plugs/wires and was side by side from 2nd gear rolls up..

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by distortion_69; 09-16-2005 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um are you fucken retraded and your freind is dumber, Its a fucken rich bitch car and its slow lol. How fast do you think a bolton 5.0 is?????????? Lol ill tell you dead crawlin

Quick Reply: Anyone ever race or see a Lexus SC430 run?