Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

64-66 Chevelle vs Really Riced Civic

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64-66 Chevelle vs Really Riced Civic

Hi guys, I hate to tell this but here it goes:

Yesterday I was driving up a road where people often race. I was going a bit below the speed limit, my windows were down and hear that beautiful sound we love so much: an American V8, it was somewhat distorted however, and then it all of a sudden hit me, FART CAN, they were racing. So I see in the opposite direction lane a nice red chevelle getting pulled on by a metallic orange civic with a godawful wing . The sad thing is I swear I could run faster than either car. I just knew that civic own3r would brag about beating classic american muscle and people like that think that if they can do that they can beat anything. I don't really race but this was pretty close to where I live...I'll be on the look out to regain American glory.

Cliffnotes:
Old 10-15-2005, 02:49 PM
11 Second Club

You get that bastard. I love those old cars.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

You must find that civic and put it in its place. Redemption!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

If it was getting pulled on by a Civic it was more than likey either a straight 6 cyl, tired 283 or....the worst case. Some dumb bastard replaced a tired classic engine with a wheezing, anemic *** 305.

As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to find a ricer and annihilate him.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Demon_Speeding
If it was getting pulled on by a Civic it was more than likey either a straight 6 cyl, tired 283 or....the worst case. Some dumb bastard replaced a tired classic engine with a wheezing, anemic *** 305.

As soon as the rain stops, I'm going to find a ricer and annihilate him.
It probably was a small cube engine but it was a v8 no doubt. I just felt so bad for the owner of the chevelle, It had to ruin his ego.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chris95Z
It probably was a small cube engine but it was a v8 no doubt. I just felt so bad for the owner of the chevelle, It had to ruin his ego.
what small cube engine did they run in the chevelles?
Old 10-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Launching!

early chevelles you could have had the 327 in several forms a some of which were pretty soft.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many people think the old muscle cars are unbeatable. Especially older guys who have never ridden in a new style sports car. You can not get it through there heads that most of the old "muscle cars" in factory trim would see nothing but tail lights from an F-body. The old ads used to say these big horse power numbers and cid but not tell them how slow most of the old cars actually ran at the track. Usually they will argue for a little bit then say how would you know have you ever owned one? And I can say yes. A Chevelle SS sporting a big block and even after $12,000 in the drivetrain it still wouldn't touch my 94 Mustang with about the same amount of money invested. And when I bought the car I wasn't too impressed with the factory output. I hate ricers too and them guys are just as dense if not more so about the older style cars. It's sad that these guys take there old muscle cars out blindly to be beat buy such an inferior car.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris95Z
Hi guys, I hate to tell this but here it goes:

Yesterday I was driving up a road where people often race. I was going a bit below the speed limit, my windows were down and hear that beautiful sound we love so much: an American V8, it was somewhat distorted however, and then it all of a sudden hit me, FART CAN, they were racing. So I see in the opposite direction lane a nice red chevelle getting pulled on by a metallic orange civic with a godawful wing . The sad thing is I swear I could run faster than either car. I just knew that civic own3r would brag about beating classic american muscle and people like that think that if they can do that they can beat anything. I don't really race but this was pretty close to where I live...I'll be on the look out to regain American glory.

Cliffnotes:
LOL! Was this down blackstone? I used to love to cruise blackstone on friday and saturday nights. THat was in my 96 GT. I would beat everyone. My only two losses are to an ls1 TA and a Lightning.... now I have a 2000 Z28
Old 10-16-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

It was on Clovis right above ashlan.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CrabhartLS1
what small cube engine did they run in the chevelles?
The smallest V8 in the Chevelles was the 283. It came in two trims;
2bbl carb was single exhaust and 195HP/285TQ <--Motor my '64 had
4bbl carb, dual exhaust it was rated at about 225HP/295TQ

Mid way through '64 Chevy decided to offer the 300HP 327. In '65 they still offered the 283's, the 300HP 327, but also offered the L79 350 horse 327. There was also a small number of '65 Chevelles made with the option "Z16". HD running gear and a 396.

Sorry about that rant. Chevelles are the other car I love.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:32 AM
Bad Trader (Louis H)

Yea older mucscle cars had net HP ratings even if a 409 Impala SS had gross 425Hp most manufactures tested these engines with open headers and no mufflers or air conditioning and electronic accesories removed.. it was really around 375HP.Horespower was being over rated in the 60s because it attracted more buyers when they saw huge HP numbers!Even then the drivetrain loss was incredibly high in older car chassis a 425HP 409 SS would probably push out about low 300sRWHP range on a dyno and some older cars came with crappy 2 speeds and slug gears.Dont forget about poor traction and bad suspension setups also! Just remember though theres no replacement for displacement.Even if that Chevelle was a crappy 283 or 305 8 cylinders make more torque than a 4 banger in that civic.. more cylinders mean more work.My 85 Ponitac Bonneville 5.0 305 was rated at 175HP.. beat every 4 banger and V6 car in my neighborhood!

Last edited by 99S351; 10-21-2005 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My cousin/mechanic used to race those old cars on 6" slicks in the 70's. He pulled low 13's in his GTO and his firebirds doing nothing but just bending the controls on the throttle to allow it to open up more (the GTO and firebird had a hp rating discrepency which he noticed was just the throttle not fully opening up.) To compare, his son ran 13.9 in the LT1 camaro 6M that he bought a while back. Most of my cousins time-slips were in the low 12's on 6" slicks in the early 70's/late 60's. Also, he dynoed one of his firebirds after much badgering back in the day and the dyno (which was set to ratchet at 400rwhp) promptly was overpowered way before he was done giving it the gas.

So before you knock classic american muscle, find someone who knows how to build it and knew what it would do in stock form as well (over the years he owned 2 drag strips as well, btw.)
Old 10-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Are you KIDDING me?
VENGENCE!! VENGENCE!! VENGENCE!! VENGENCE!!
Old 10-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Launching!

I used to see chevelles, monte carlos and novas getting whooped on by civics/integras all the time at our local races. They would get a good start but once they got up there, they would just fall off and get passed up.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

Oh well this is always someone faster right?
Old 10-21-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1TechRulez
I used to see chevelles, monte carlos and novas getting whooped on by civics/integras all the time at our local races. They would get a good start but once they got up there, they would just fall off and get passed up.
thats exactly what i saw, i love chevelles mainly the 64 to early 70's but i am partial to the 66 and 67 models,

on a side note I was going home the other day and i was at the same place roughly and a hatch wanted a piece of the camaro. I didn't even think he would try anything and quite frankly I don't normally bother with rice. we take off and he paces me for a few seconds and guns it, I figure what the hell, I shut off by 80ish I had quite a bit distance between us, I hit it at about 25mph, I slow figuring I proved my point, he paces me again at about 50 (speed limit) I dump it to second and I am off, I don't think he even tried that time to be honest but its damn annoying getting paced like that after he challenged me and lost.