Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

C5 / C6 Brake Upgrades - Who Has Done Them - Results?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 / C6 Brake Upgrades - Who Has Done Them - Results?

Ok I am thinking about doing the C5 or C6 brake upgrade. I am looking at several different kits. This car is mainly a driver but it does go to a few autocross / track days a year. My question is who has done this up grade? Which way did you go, C5, C6 or C6 Z06? Were you happy with the results, worth the expense? Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the C5 brake upgrade. If I had (or, later, get) the money, I'd do the C6 (same bracket, just the rotors, calipers and pads are different.

I don't autocross, just daily drive my Camaro. I've had to stop quickly a couple of times since then, and the car stopped quickly. THough, I'd have to chalk some of the help to my Goodyear Eagle GSD3 tires.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

The search is your friend.

There are tons of posts discussing the conversions.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

My SS had 5 warranty brake rotor fixes, and they were warped again so I did the UMI C5 ZO6 kit on my SS. (yes I know the ZO6 only means red calipers instead of black)
The car has seen the drag strip maybe 10 times doing 13.2 at 106mph with stock brakes.
Hasn't seen anything but street driving since the upgrade.
I think it was $7xx.xx well spent.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:01 PM
Launching!

i dont think u would need anymore than that kit. get good pads and rotors (slotted) and call it a day.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 98BlackT/A
Ok I am thinking about doing the C5 or C6 brake upgrade. I am looking at several different kits. This car is mainly a driver but it does go to a few autocross / track days a year. My question is who has done this up grade? Which way did you go, C5, C6 or C6 Z06? Were you happy with the results, worth the expense? Thanks!
Hello, if you decide to go with the c5 conversion we offer a complete kit that has the Z06 calipers. Its a complete bolt on kit and we have them in stock. The part number is BMR-BCK001 $849.95. I'll post a link and some pictures. If you have any questions please give us a call our tech dept is available mon-fri till 6pm. est.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/F4.htm
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Last edited by BMR Tech2; 12-09-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Hello, if you decide to go with the c5 conversion we offer a complete kit that has the Z06 calipers. Its a complete bolt on kit and we have them in stock. The part number is BMR-BCK001 $849.95. I'll post a link and some pictures. If you have any questions please give us a call our tech dept is available mon-fri till 6pm. est.

Dennis,

Thanks, I acutally spoke with you yesterday on the phone. You guys are one of the kits I am looking at, I have other BMR products on my T/A, and I love the quality!

Jeff
Old 10-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BMR Sales

How do your brackets differ from UMI's?

I'm just asking because they look the same, price of the kit is close. Makes a tough choice for someone looking to buy.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss

I'm just asking because they look the same, price of the kit is close. Makes a tough choice for someone looking to buy.
Hello,

Our brackets are CNC machined from one solid block of aluminum where as the BMR bracket is fabricated of several pieces of the steel. Aluminum was choosen to offer a lighter bracket and prevent adding additional weight to front of the vehicle.

If you are looking for a inexpensive kit please see the link below. Our authorized dealer WS6Store has compiled together a kit with our brackets at a great price. They have them in stock and usually ship same day. Ask for Mike and he will be glad to take care of you... or give us a call.

Here is there kit- http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2028

here is the link to our site for additional information regarding the upgrade and kits we offer- http://www.umiperformance.com/page.php?page=c5conv

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!

Ryan
Old 10-16-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Our authorized dealer WS6Store has compiled together a kit with our brackets at a great price. [/url]
Thats where I got my kit from. Good service and good price, excellent quality parts too.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

We designed our brackets from 1/4" chrome moly plate. These brackets are just as strong yet weigh less than the bulky aluminum brackets currently available.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by 98BlackT/A
Dennis,

Thanks, I acutally spoke with you yesterday on the phone. You guys are one of the kits I am looking at, I have other BMR products on my T/A, and I love the quality!

Jeff
Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks for using BMR products.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Thats where I got my kit from. Good service and good price, excellent quality parts too.

Excellent to hear They are a great place to deal with and they always have UMI items in stock!

On a side note we choose a solid one piece construction due to flexing found with the thin steel brackets. If the conversion bracket flexes it will cause uneven pad wear... we had a few customers replace there steel brackets with ours because they experienced this as well
Old 10-16-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol at battle of the sponsors... btw if it was me spending that much money on brakes, i would wait a little while and save up for brembo.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

FWIW, I've got the UMI kit and I'm very happy with it. What impressed me the most was the care that Ryan took making sure all the parts were included. You have to assemble the calipers and there's a lot of little parts (nuts, screws and washers) that could be easily overlooked. This kit comes complete in every sense of the word. I paid a thousand bucks for mine a few years ago and I still think that was a good deal.

Braking is improved, they look killer, and the kit is super easy top install.

I have nothing against BMR, I got all their suspension parts too.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

dont mean to kinda hijack ur thread but are these kits made for the lt1 cars also? i have read threads where it says you have to shave down the brackets or something for the lt1 guys can either bmr or umi let me know.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EliteCamaro94
dont mean to kinda hijack ur thread but are these kits made for the lt1 cars also? i have read threads where it says you have to shave down the brackets or something for the lt1 guys can either bmr or umi let me know.
Yes the kits will work on LT1 cars as well as LS1. I actually used the LT1 spindles on my ls1 car, so I can turn around and sell the LS1 Spindle/caliper ***'y to someone looking to upgrade their LT1.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:27 AM
FormerVendor

Great to hear Predator!

EliteCamaro94- Our brackets will work just fine on the LT1 cars... you have to cut the steering knuckle in order for the bracket to fit... the knuckle needs cut regardless of whether it is a LT1 or LS1. Below I posted a picture of what needs cut off.. it can easily be complete with a reciprocating saw.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:29 AM
On The Tree

You do have to trim a little off the spindle on both the LS1 and LT1 cars. Its a simple single cut that just cuts one of the unneeded tabs off the spindle. You wont even notice its gone.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
lol at battle of the sponsors... btw if it was me spending that much money on brakes, i would wait a little while and save up for brembo.
Which Brembo kit? If you are going with C5 13" or C6 14" brakes, you are still going to need the brackets, and the adapters that UMI & BMR sell are for this purpose.

You can buy just the adapter and source your own rotors and brackets. That's what I did, and although it took more time, it was cheaper. I was originally doing it for my 396 Camaro, not my DD that I ended up putting them on. I ended up getting some cheap eBay adapters (2 piece welded Steel) and I am thinking of selling them and going with UMI's one piece design.

You can also get the C6 rotors, calipers and pads (still use C5 brackets).

Quick Reply: C5 / C6 Brake Upgrades - Who Has Done Them - Results?