Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Fifth Gen f-body Handle like a supercar?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fifth Gen f-body Handle like a supercar?

What suspension out there (full setup) could allow these cars to handle like say a z06 or Ferrari? And can the double A-arm setup on the Corvette be transferred to the Camaro?

And refrain from being a rough riding suspension?

Last edited by caseypayne69; 12-08-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
What suspension out there (full setup) could allow these cars to handle like say a z06 or Ferrari? And can the double A-arm setup on the Corvette be transferred to the Camaro?

And refrain from being a rough riding suspension?
They are just too heavy to handle like a Z06/ Ferrari. But then again they are not built to be a supercar.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

eh, they may not handle like a ferrari or z06 as in feel. but its possible to have a heavy, good handling car. ex. veyron and GT-R (which weigh 500 more than us). and actually there are new ferraris that weigh as much as ours. the california and 599 weigh a few hundred more. our cars arent very heavy, despite their feel and what people assume.

you're going to have to find good coilovers and stiffen our hatchback frame with subs. lower it some and get thinner tires. also, get a big wing on the back or some kind of diffuser AND a good front lip so your front wheels dont get lift from the pressure on the back. and thats just a start. be cheaper to buy a corvette and upgrade that, im sure.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Are you talking about a 5th gen fbody or 4th gen/ls1?
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

based on the sig im gonna guess hes looking at the 5th gen camaro, but well see if it even comes out, and i dont think ive seen any aftermarket stuff for it yet.

for the 4th gen, i would say that most of the brands out there offer a setup that allows the replacement of LCAs, PH bars, sway bars, tower braces, SFCs, and then springs and shocks.

springs can vary greatly, Strano has a great reputation on here and ive liked what ive seen from him. I would say that his springs, with koni DA shocks, plus all the rest of the parts and itll handle very well. Then add some good tires (I went with Falken Azenis RT-615) and it should be able to hold its own.

now dont expect a $25k car (when new) to be able to compete with a $80k car, or a $130k car with simple bolt ons. were lucky to have a motor thats capable of keeping up.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Regular

I'm an idiot, I ment 4th Gen. But thanks for the responses you guys have helped me think in the think in the right direction. I guess it would help to know what Ferrari's use in their suspension.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Junkie

If we're talking 4th gen...

A similar variation of this question appears now and then. Look for posts from 00 Trans Ram.... (think that's his username) he road races his 4th gen.. check out what he has to say about our cars. Basically if you put the right mods into it then you can beat almost anyone. I'd assume experience also comes into play in his situation too.

This question is kinda vague in any case. Some cars I feel like could have great handling and feel yet be extremely slow. For example a BMW 5 series with sport package will probably have awesome handling compared to an old Miata with worn out shocks, but the Miata would still roast the BMW on a small tight course due to weight differences. So depends on what the racing application is, etc...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by caseypayne69
I'm an idiot, I ment 4th Gen. But thanks for the responses you guys have helped me think in the think in the right direction. I guess it would help to know what Ferrari's use in their suspension.
I was wonder why you asked about the 5th gen....
Use search, I know there are more threads than this.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ded-vette.html
Edit: found the thread I was looking for:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...de-handle.html

Last edited by JD_AMG; 12-08-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks JD, i've been pondering to buy a TA the same color as your's.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

if its any consolation, i have strano springs, sways and koni shocks and rod end lca's, this last weekend i was running with a modded Maserati GranSport, Lotus Esprit (V8 TT), modded 90's carrera s, and a brand new carrera 4S in 140miles of canyon carving. i kept up with the maserati and lotus no problem. passed the carrera s, and didnt want to go by the lotus and mas bc i didnt want to sand blast them with my NT01s, but a couple runs we were a really tite group and the 4S (awd) wasnt going anywhere

doesnt have the feel of a supercar, bc they are a lot more refined (better chassis and suspension geometry than us), but we can easily hang with them and then some

Quick Reply: Fifth Gen f-body Handle like a supercar?