Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

How well can a 4th gen be made to handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How well can a 4th gen be made to handle?

Like the title states, my question is how well can a 4th gen f body be made to handle, and still be streetable for a dd. Say up to around a z51 suspension equipped vette level? Also what components are recommended and how much?
Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's a little bit of a generic question, and open to a lot of generic answers .

But to try to sum things up, a 4th-gen can handle EXCEPTIONALLY well . And The Man to speak to (esp. for a DD / track car) is Sam Strano .

I have his suspension in my car, and I track it often, as well as daily drive it. It performs beautifully in both areas .
Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
That's a little bit of a generic question, and open to a lot of generic answers .

But to try to sum things up, a 4th-gen can handle EXCEPTIONALLY well . And The Man to speak to (esp. for a DD / track car) is Sam Strano .

I have his suspension in my car, and I track it often, as well as daily drive it. It performs beautifully in both areas .
Agreed. Plus many of the components associated with all out race suspension are not very tolerable to some people on the street. Rod ended suspension components tend to transfer a lot of noise through the car.
Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jbusmc1986
Like the title states, my question is how well can a 4th gen f body be made to handle, and still be streetable for a dd. Say up to around a z51 suspension equipped vette level? Also what components are recommended and how much?
It's unbelievable what this car is capable of with good shocks and springs. You put a set of strano springs and koni shocks on with the right settings, and the car is still way more comfortable than a ton of performance cars on stock suspension.

I mean it's not going to beat a corvette in an autox or some other cars, but there's always a car out there that can beat another car.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what I did to make my car handle way better than stock:

35.5 mm Hotchkis front bar.
22 mm rear bar.
LG SS springs.
Koni shocks.

So yes it is possible to make these cars handle.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I mean it's not going to beat a corvette in an autox or some other cars, but there's always a car out there that can beat another car.
Says who???

I've beaten stock and lightly modified C5's more than once on the race track, and even at my first auto-x event . It's not "easy" ... takes driving the wheels off the car to do it, but the car is capable .
Old 08-10-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
Says who???

I've beaten stock and lightly modified C5's more than once on the race track, and even at my first auto-x event . It's not "easy" ... takes driving the wheels off the car to do it, but the car is capable .
Yeah if you put it that way, novices driving c5's can get smoked by experienced drivers in a Honda Accord in autox. Equal drivers though the c5 has the upper hand.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well I already have 1 c5, and was thinking of getting rid of it for a car with a removeable top or a vert. The only reason why I ask is my old 4th gen handled like crap. But I got rid of it because I fell in love with vettes. I dunno I may keep the vette and get a f bod for a dd or just get another vette... I just dunno what to do.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

well I already have 1 c5, and was thinking of getting rid of it for a car with a removeable top or a vert. The only reason why I ask is my old 4th gen handled like crap. But I got rid of it because I fell in love with vettes. I dunno I may keep the vette and get a f bod for a dd or just get another vette... I just dunno what to do.
get a vette with a targa.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

maybe a c6.... I have always wanted to go pick a new car up at the corvette museum with the behind the scenes tour of the factory. Damn.... maybe that what I should do?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Yeah if you put it that way, novices driving c5's can get smoked by experienced drivers in a Honda Accord in autox. Equal drivers though the c5 has the upper hand.
That's not at all what I was saying . If you want me to compare to novices I've run against, I've beaten a Viper, a C5 Z06, and even a C6 Z06 on the track!

The C5 coupe that I've traded wins with is driven exceptionally well . The couple of courses I've beat him on, have been very difficult to do, and it's been mere fractions of a second difference .

As an aside, the only Corvettes I've ever driven were an '87 and a '91 C4, both automatics, and it was only a couple "leisurely drives" on the street . I've never driven a C5 on the track, and only been a passenger once in an '01 Z06 (quite the ride!! ). So, I can't give a direct "comparison" between the handling feel of my car vs. a Corvette, but based on my car's performance, I'd say it can't be that far off.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Addict

you talk with sam strano because hes the man when it comes to making them handle. im sure if you can take some of the road noise from rod end components then there should be no problem on the street. some koni 4/4s and strano springs would be exceptional or a set of nice coilovers with like a 325lbs spring rate.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
im sure if you can take some of the road noise from rod end components then there should be no problem on the street.
Actually, for the rear LCA's, you don't have to go with double rod-ended. A poly/rod combo works quite well, and the poly end mounted to the chassis helps keep at least some of the noise from the road out of the car .

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
some koni 4/4s and strano springs would be exceptional or a set of nice coilovers with like a 325lbs spring rate.
Not enough spring!! Strano's fronts are 550, and they're still "pleasant" on the street . Also, I have the Koni 4/3's, as many people do, and they work just fine, and they're slightly cheaper than running 4/4's .
Old 08-10-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe a c6.... I have always wanted to go pick a new car up at the corvette museum with the behind the scenes tour of the factory. Damn.... maybe that what I should do?
Go for the C6, better setup all around. You get 50/50 weight balance, IRS, and better aerodynamics.

Not enough spring!! Strano's fronts are 550, and they're still "pleasant" on the street . Also, I have the Koni 4/3's, as many people do, and they work just fine, and they're slightly cheaper than running 4/4's .
Totally agree with you here, I could even see myself running as high as a 650-700lbs/in front spring with a comfortable ride.
Old 08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Go with the blue devil zr1
Old 08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have both a 4th gen, as well as a C-5. I wouldn't say the Camaro "handles like crap" compared to the C-5....

Maybe my GMC Canyon does, but not the Camaro!
Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How well can a 4th gen f body be made to handle?
Good enough to outrun any other mass-produced street car in the world, including many purpose-built racecars.

I've got full suspension, but it's stuff that you can buy or make easily. I've got good brakes. Stock engine and drivetrain. Stock aero, except for a rear wing. I've lightened the car down to 2900lbs by gutting it. I've heard of guys getting 3000lbs in a hardtop Camaro and still having an interior.

I have yet to meet a street-legal car that can keep up with me on the track (road course). Viper, C6 Z06, Enzo, Maseratti, Porsche GT3 - nothing. And, more than a few racecars - Viper Comp Coupe, GT1 Vette, C5R, GT1 Viper, Ferrari Challenge car. Not bragging, because I've also gotten beat by a few - Porsche GT3 Cup car, Viper Comp Coupe, etc.

Race tires, suspension, reduced weight and brakes will get you 90% of the way. Additional power is NOT necessary. When I race the Vipers, they have about 200whp on me (I make probably 360rwhp). They pull about 3-4 carlengths on me down the front straight (1/3 mile). But, because I'm lighter and can out brake and out turn them, I more than make up for it everywhere else.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, didn't we basically have this very same discussion 2-3 weeks ago??
Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think so! Or, at least, I remember a conversation along the lines of "can an F-body handle as well as a Vette" or something.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
I've lightened the car down to 2900lbs by gutting it. I've heard of guys getting 3000lbs in a hardtop Camaro and still having an interior.
Question: does your car have a cage or roll-bar??? That's damn light!!

Reason I ask is because I just recently picked up a '93 Z28 that's been purpose-built for road racing. It's completely gutted, as in no interior, stereo/speakers, etc., no HVAC, ABS/cruise modules removed, no side glass, etc. On top of that, it has some serious weight-savers, ie: fibreglass hood, lexan front & rear windows, and anywhere possible, things like the doors & rear hatch were gutted and stripped of any excess material. The only additional weight is the roll cage. Sum it up to say, it's a race car!

..... but I haven't got it weighed yet, so I'm darn curious what it's going to be. I'd love to see it come in at less than 3000 lbs!!

Quick Reply: How well can a 4th gen be made to handle?