Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Replacing Almost Everything(Koni/Strano Included)! Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Almost Everything(Koni/Strano Included)! Am I missing something?

Hello All,
I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a good while.
I have a 98' WS6; I have slowly purchased the following:

- Strano Springs
- Koni 4/3 Shocks
- Strano Hallow Front/Hallow Rear
- BMR LCA
- BMR PHB
- BMR Weld-In Relocation Brackets

I have them all in boxes and about ready to install all of it. Recently I have noticed my car has some suspension squeekes/creaks going up driveways and such.

Are there any bushings/joints or anything related that usually have wear that I should look for? I figure that while I am doing all of above I want to cover everything I can. Is there anything I SHOULD replace?

thanks all!
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

You could get new sway bar, endlink bushing and etc
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kingc8r
You could get new sway bar, endlink bushing and etc
+1.

This stopped a lot of the creaking on my car.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check out my website MLSMotorRacing. In the R&D section I've created a list of all the major suspension parts and suspension maintenance parts as well as brake parts. There are some items that are cost effective enough to just go ahead and replace while your in there such as bushings and ball joints.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Creaking is more likely a desperate cry for grease.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 98CSUF
Hello All,
I am new to the forum but have been lurking for a good while.
I have a 98' WS6; I have slowly purchased the following:

- Strano Springs
- Koni 4/3 Shocks
- Strano Hallow Front/Hallow Rear
- BMR LCA
- BMR PHB
- BMR Weld-In Relocation Brackets

I have them all in boxes and about ready to install all of it. Recently I have noticed my car has some suspension squeekes/creaks going up driveways and such.

Are there any bushings/joints or anything related that usually have wear that I should look for? I figure that while I am doing all of above I want to cover everything I can. Is there anything I SHOULD replace?

thanks all!

The only thing i see missing is a BMR adjustable torque arm and a torque arm relocation bracket to go along with the rest of your BMR parts. Our torque arm is one of the best built, strongest arms on the market. The relocation bracket takes the t/a off of your transmission saving your tailshaft from breaking. It also has several adjustment holes to change the instant center off your car. With these additional parts your suspension will be complete. Give me a call for pricing.

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/torque%20arm/TA001.jpg

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/misc/TCC006.jpg
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

Not to be a party pooper here, but....

If the creaking is due to the bar bushings (and often is), there are new bushings and links with the bars (you need to supply the grease, marine grease works very well).

As for what "you're missing", that depends on what the car is doing. Frankly I think you have more than I'd have recommended you start with (LCA's and brackets, neither are required, and my car has neither on it). Considering the car is 10+ years old now, depending on the mileage I'd be some of the front control arm bushings are on the chewed up side. And of course there is the seemingly missing SFC's. Now, SFC's aren't something I think are required, but something many folks want to have. And it's never a bad thing to have a more rigid chassis....
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-11-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I agree with Sam as his stuff and advice have made my car better. I wish I'd gotten Konis and skipped the Bilsteins.

I agree, your squeak is probably a cry for grease. Sway bushings are super common noise makers. Since you are replacing those anyway, lube them on install and see what happens. With this list, most of your stuff will be taken care of, though the fron steering bears investigation while it's in the air.

May as well do SFCs while you are at it, make the car more rigid and adds jack points!

Regardless, you won't believe you have the same car after all that - guaranteed. Just get a good alignment!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Teching In

thanks all.

BMR; i'll have to strongly consider a torque arm/relocation kit after tax time.

Sam; thanks for everything. It was your personal phone conversation that convinced me to buy the products I did. I can't wait until they are on.

I was looking at bushings and thinking of purchasing ball joins too. I've just read they are a PITA to install.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm glad I could help, but honestly would have preferred to sell them to you myself. I even have some packaged kits with some of those parts at a discounted price.... But maybe you had a reason to go BMR where I like UMI stuff.

And fwiw, I have all the bushings and balljoints too, should you decide to do them (they are not listed on my website, but I can easily supply those to you). All you have to do is call me!
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-12-2008, 03:10 PM
10 Second Club

that list sounds good, you'll surely notice a difference in ride quality with those parts. Are you a m6? If your planning on keeping the stock rear end, i would say upgrade the torque arm when the funds allow, but if you are gonna swap it out in the future i would hold off on a t/a because you will more than likely have to get a different one with a new rear end.

also, do you go to fresno state? if so, what color is your car?