Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

UMI K MEMBERS please chime in!!PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UMI K MEMBERS please chime in!!PLEASE!!

Do all steering rack's sit on your UMI K member like this? or am i alone? LOL
I noticed today while putting my sway bar on that the drivers side clearance was good to go with a 2 finger gap between the sway bar and tie rod. Now, i can barelly sceeze one finger beween the two on the passanger side.Even from the pics,,does it look like the steering rack is going up hill towards the passanger side of this K member?Im praying that im missing something here because i really dont feel like pulling this K member
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...at/tie%20rods/
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/tire%20rod1/

Last edited by barnat; 02-20-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Well I cant vouch for a UMI K member but no the rack shouldn't be crooked like that. Ultimately its going to throw your bumpsteer off if you leave it like that.

Even though its a manual rack in this pic it sits level.
http://bmrfabrication.com/misc/full.jpg

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Umi

Somethings definatly off with these steering rack mounts on this K member!
I just dont know if the passanger side mount is too high or drivers side mount is too low! Its one or the other here!!
I was just hoping maybe some of you UMI K member guys would chime in with some pics of your K members so we can figuire this one out!This is driving me crazy. Please chime in guys so i can sleep tonight!! LOL One good thing is that UMI is a top notch campany that gaurantees there work and will replace this or take care of me if this is on their end.This is one of the main reasons I buy all my stuff from them and recomend them to everybody!
Heres more pics
http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/tire%20rod1/
Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
Well I cant vouch for a UMI K member but no the rack shouldn't be crooked like that. Ultimately its going to throw your bumpsteer off if you leave it like that.

Even though its a manual rack in this pic it sits level.
http://bmrfabrication.com/misc/full.jpg
I know its gotta be the steering rack mounts !it cant be anything else!thanks for the pics BMR !!
Old 02-20-2009, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
I just dont know if the passanger side mount is too high or drivers side mount is too low! Its one or the other here!!
nm just looked at those new pics...

Looks like the passenger side is the one thats off.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales2
nm just looked at those new pics...

Looks like the passenger side is the one thats off.
Thats what im guessing! I guess i could always drive it to a shop and pay someone to cut off and weld on a new mount supplied by UMI and live with a bullshit non powdercoated section of K member if i didnt want to pull the K member and go threw all the bullshit that goes along with it and also paying to have it realigned again ?****!@!I gotta pay to have it realigned again anyways Huh?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

if you want to grab a tape measure here's something that might help. On my UMI it measured ~15/16" from the bottom of the lower tab for the steering rack to the bottom of the a-arm plate there at the front. they were both real close to if not right on 15/16". Passenger side is easy to measure since the two are in close proximity, and I projected a line with a t-square to get the drivers side measurement since the tabs are mounted further inboard on the drivers. I think what I measured is clear but if you want a pic just let me know.

I can say that my rack doesn't seem to sit like yours is.

Based on the pics I was thinking passenger side didn't look right too at first, but after going and looking at mine I think the drivers side mount on yours may be lower than mine. Then again, the passenger mount looks as if it might be angled up a little bit. Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Launching!

https://speed-eng.com/store/images/UMI%20K-Member.jpg
It looks like the passenger rack tab is higher, but from the angles it's very hard to tell. I'd take some measurements then call UMI and see what they are willing to do.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
if you want to grab a tape measure here's something that might help. On my UMI it measured ~15/16" from the bottom of the lower tab for the steering rack to the bottom of the a-arm plate there at the front. they were both real close to if not right on 15/16". Passenger side is easy to measure since the two are in close proximity, and I projected a line with a t-square to get the drivers side measurement since the tabs are mounted further inboard on the drivers. I think what I measured is clear but if you want a pic just let me know.

I can say that my rack doesn't seem to sit like yours is.

Based on the pics I was thinking passenger side didn't look right too at first, but after going and looking at mine I think the drivers side mount on yours may be lower than mine. Then again, the passenger mount looks as if it might be angled up a little bit. Maybe it's both, maybe it's neither.
LOL!!Your talking like im thinking LOL I just got back from the car and what i did was like you,,, I put a level across the bottom of the K member and used a square to measure up to the bottoms of each tab and they looked like 35mm each. but i also noticed that ive got some thick maybe 3/16 rubber washers on each side of the passanger side rack mount So ,if these mounts are dead on from the level up?and those rubber washers are to be there? This passanger side mount should have adjusted down on the passsanger side here to make up for these thick rubber washers I also notice from looking underneith this K member also looks off when looking straight up at it and useing the oil pan as a refrence. ,,meaning it sits crooked when looking up at the oil pan. The passanger side of this steering rack sits at least 1/2 closer to the front nose then the drivers side and this mounting tab is longer by that much too.This may be normal im guessing? Is yours like this ?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just checked mine. Mine is level all the way across. Definitely isn't angled like yours. Mine does sit closer to the front as well, but my passenger side mount hole is oblonged. So I can move it foward and back to make it even across.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I just checked mine. Mine is level all the way across. Definitely isn't angled like yours. Mine does sit closer to the front as well, but my passenger side mount hole is oblonged. So I can move it foward and back to make it even across.
Thanks guy,Im gonna call UMI Monday and see what they can do for me about this ? Dropping the K member really isnt a option this close to spring for me, because my tree service is all ready picking up for this year. I allready talked to a owner of one of my local machine shops today and he said for $200 and if ide pick him and his tig welder up with my lift gate and haveing everthing removed and ready for him,he'd tig the new mount on for me which im sure UMI will supply me. Tig welding also shouldnt **** up the powder coating as bad around the mount area as mig welding it? Either way, i gotta have someone come to me because i cant drive it anywhere with all the front pipes and other **** off
Old 02-22-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ttt

Bump!!
Old 02-22-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

It sucks that you have to pay someone to fix UMI's mistake
Old 02-22-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
It sucks that you have to pay someone to fix UMI's mistake
Yea ,but honestly,, it is one of the best K members out there IMO Maybe i should hold off on that till i see what there gonna do for me HUH? LOL I cant pull the K member without the engine either because my engine mount bolts wont come out without hitting the turbosso its either fix on the car or pull ******* everthing back apart and start over LOL Which isnt an option for me at this time!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed,

I will have Jerry look at it tomorrow. I know you have had this K-member for quite awhile, 6-8 months? Have many miles do you have on it? Have you noticed any adverse driving affects? The tie rods being angled are from the car being lowered. I think the easiest and best thing to do is to get you a bump steer kit. The bump steer kit will allow you to level out the tie rod ends and they come with different shims to get them where you need them.

I'll have Jerry take a look at it. Thanks,
Old 02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default UMI ,2 thumbs up !!

Thanks guys, for all the help! UMI offerd to relace this for free like i thought they would. But instead of all that bullshit of me pulling this K member Their going to take care of the cost of this mount fix/ repair for me on there end! ,which was and is great of them to do. Its really hard now a days to find a good company that really backs their customers 100%!

Be Cool shipped me a bum radiator last summer, while i was putting my APS TT kit on and this bad rad ended up destroying my $3500 (Brand New) Rossler tranny and torue converter with all my rubber hoses on the engine.
Their responce to me was ,,,Sounds like installer error LOL and this is still after they sent me a new rad and admitted it on the invoice!LOL
Thats what kind of company Be Cool is! So beware guys!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Did you talk to UMI before you started this thread? What did they say?

Quick Reply: UMI K MEMBERS please chime in!!PLEASE!!