Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For DD Shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For DD Shocks....

Asked this before (twice) with no response... Are KYB GR2 shocks fine for a DD car that doesn't race? I'm pretty certain my DeCarbon shocks are OE with 97K miles lol Unless I can get them rebuilt for cheaper than what GR2s would run. It'd run $228 from Summit for all 4 corners on the GR2s

I'm on a budget is the reason and if they'll handle better than the 97K mile old DeCarbons and offer a decent ride, not to mention last at least 15K mi, I'll be happy

Sure I'd rather something like this, but that's over $100 more
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...mZ370179905563
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a link to the gr2 shocks? I'm lazy...
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

gr2 are oem replacements. I'd go with the gas-a-justs or agx. Fine for a DD.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Formula350
Asked this before (twice) with no response... Are KYB GR2 shocks fine for a DD car that doesn't race? I'm pretty certain my DeCarbon shocks are OE with 97K miles lol Unless I can get them rebuilt for cheaper than what GR2s would run. It'd run $228 from Summit for all 4 corners on the GR2s

I'm on a budget is the reason and if they'll handle better than the 97K mile old DeCarbons and offer a decent ride, not to mention last at least 15K mi, I'll be happy

Sure I'd rather something like this, but that's over $100 more
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...mZ370179905563
They are more or less a OEM replacement shock. Other then being a "gas" shock, they will be a little bit stiffer and handle a lot more stress over the OEM ones. So to answer your question, yes they will be a good shock for a "DD" car. The AGX would be the next best thing but they are a lot more $$$.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ben77
. I'd go with the gas-a-justs
that's whats on my car^^^ Not my doing but what came on it....seems to ride fine with my prokit
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NebWS6
that's whats on my car^^^ Not my doing but what came on it....seems to ride fine with my prokit
I've had em for 5yrs now, and they work great
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been looking into getting some KYB AGX adj shocks all the way around. I need new shocks badly, and I want ones that will perform in a straight line and around a corner and not break the budget. Last I check it would be under 400 for all four. Anyone have feedback on these?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't need adjustable shocks is all, or I'd get the AGX. Going off the name, I'd have figured the Gas-A-Justs (GAJ from now on) would've been also, but it's NOTE: doesn't specifiy that it is Pre-posting side note: I wasn't aware of the "adjustable" style of these. For some completely stupid reason I was thinking it was like coil over haha Epic Fail on my part there

So this is what the GAJ says:
* Gas-a-Just is the replacement for an OE monotube shock
* Ideal as an upgrade from an OE twin-tube
* The more responsive monotube design automatically adjusts to driving conditions
* Applications for cars, trucks, vans, and SUVs

And the GR-2:
* Calibrated to compensate for worn suspensions
* Components and valving are designed specifically for each application
* The best choice to restore OE performance and normal driving conditions
* Built with quality that matches or exceeds OE
* Coverage for domestic and import cars, trucks, vans, minivans, and SUVs

So with that said... are DeCarbon shocks Twin or Mono? Not that I could find anywhere to rebuild them, but would the DeCarbons be considered better than either the GR-2 or GAJ?

AND Would running either a GR-2 or GAJ up front and the AGX in back be a better idea? I might not race, but I would like better traction/handling

Here's their PDF catalog updated for March 09 it says
http://www.kyb.com/pdf/2008_passenger_car.pdf

Here's a screen shot (can't copy and paste) of the listings off this page:
http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/
Attached Thumbnails For DD Shocks....-shocks.png  
Old 03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

I've been looking into getting some kyb agx adj shocks all the way around. I need new shocks badly, and i want ones that will perform in a straight line and around a corner and not break the budget. Last i check it would be under 400 for all four. Anyone have feedback on these?
pm sent
Old 03-31-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

I've been looking into getting some KYB AGX adj shocks all the way around. I need new shocks badly, and I want ones that will perform in a straight line and around a corner and not break the budget. Last I check it would be under 400 for all four. Anyone have feedback on these?
Not so much a hijack Still dealing with the KYBs, and now I'm at least considering rear AGXs, so don't worry about it heh
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Have you looked into the Bilsteins? I belive they are stock on WS6 firebirds. I picked up a slightly used set from a guy on here for $200. They are like $350 on ebay brand new. A great improvement from stock and great for a daily driver. They have way better damping than stock but not annoyingly stiff.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camerory
Have you looked into the Bilsteins? I belive they are stock on WS6 firebirds. I picked up a slightly used set from a guy on here for $200. They are like $350 on ebay brand new. A great improvement from stock and great for a daily driver. They have way better damping than stock but not annoyingly stiff.
I've thought about it, yea. I'd get AGXs all around though for that price, then I'd be able to make it as stiff, or soft, as I'd like If I could get a steal on a slightly used set, I would.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:15 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Gonna put this in the suspension section, you'll get more responses there.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Gonna put this in the suspension section, you'll get more responses there.
We shall see! Non so far lol I stopped asking questions in the topic-specific forums, mainly due to rarely ever getting responses, but also because I'm more interested in the feedback from others with an F-Body (which the majority of us are in the LT1 section).

Cats outta the bag now though! I still love you Suspension & Brake forum people
Old 04-05-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
We shall see! Non so far lol I stopped asking questions in the topic-specific forums, mainly due to rarely ever getting responses, but also because I'm more interested in the feedback from others with an F-Body (which the majority of us are in the LT1 section).

Cats outta the bag now though! I still love you Suspension & Brake forum people
I rest my case :\
Old 04-05-2009, 01:05 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my SLP Bilsteins for 350 with rush shipping from summitt racing
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm suprised no one asked what springs will he be using. If money was no object, Konis would always be my first recommendation. Though if you are on stock springs then a good set of Bilstiens is probably what I would get. I would order the Strano preferred Bilstiens. Then if you have aftermarket springs then KYB AGX's would be able to control the springs over the Bilstiens, but the AGX's lack in quality and KYB won't stand behind their warranty if you use anything except stock springs. Bilstiens are built better than AGX's.

Keep in mind that I got my shocks not because they are adjustable, but that they have a setting that dampens my springs the way I want them. If a shock is 3000 way adjustable, the shock is useless if it's firmest settings are softer than the softest setting on the Koni's. That's an exaggeration obviously, but it's more about if the shock can be set to the setting(s) you want.

Also, toss out what you think you know about if a shock is for racing or for daily driving. That's typically a misconception by noobs that there's a different shock valving for each. A daily driver setup and light to moderate type racing go pretty much hand in hand. Unless its like a serious road race car where some people use like 800+ front and 200+ back rates, I'd imagine those cars might need more shock than a typical autox driver ( maybe not? )
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

KYB's are ok, but I would opt for the Koni's if your budget permits. Either way, I would recommend calling Sam Strano, see the link on the right for stranoparts.com, and he will be able to accomdate your needs and budget. If you are looking for suspension, Sam is your man...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

To Bryan: It's got stock springs, that I assume have 97K on them.

Will: My budget is pretty much "what can I get for under $200" heh I think the GR2s barely fall into that. I've heard Strano is amazing, and looking at his site confirms that with prices :\ I can dream though!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

OEM style replacements. A fresh set of OE shocks make a big difference again worn out DeCarbons.

Quick Reply: For DD Shocks....