Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What wrong with my front endlinks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What wrong with my front endlinks?

I just got my car out of the body shop and there was quite a bit of suspension damage. We replaced the front k member with a BMR tubular turbo k members and 1 front left lower control arm. We did a few other things, but this is all that is necessary for this purpose.

I get the car back and have been hearing this loose rattle from the suspension. Its so minor that I dont even know if is actually happening or I am a nervous **** and its all in my head. Well I go to hunt it down today and find what you see pictured below on the driver front. Sorry for the quality, its an iphone with a flashlight, thats all I got for now.

Now the passenger side link is fine, and the spacer is about 4 fingers wide. The driver side top nut is maxed out on the threads and the spacer is only 3 fingers wide. So its not the right one. But it was fine before because I have adjusted it. My question is, do aftermarket sway bars have longer/shorter or different sized spacers on their endlinks? I am going to talk to the shop Monday, but just curious to what I have, like a stock link and I need an aftermarket, or vice versa.

Thanks...

Old 12-19-2009, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

My strano bars had different sized spacers or sleeves than my stock end links. So if they got switched up somehow, I'd replace it with an endlink from the same brand sway bar you have in there. Looks like you have an aftermarket bar seeing as its red powdercoated. I think that'll solve your problem. Also, when you put them in, MAKE SURE you adjust them with suspension loaded and torqued down to the right specs. Otherwise you can screw up the end links like I almost did. I think the busings are 41lbs and the endlinks are 17lbs for the front. Tighten end links first.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

They should be the same length on both sides.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
They should be the same length on both sides.
everyone ive ever seen has been the same length. front, rear doesnt matter. i dont see how different length spacers would help in any way
Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

Maybe i wasn't clear, but both sides should be the same length. Its just that certain aftermarket brands have different length spacers than stock
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
Maybe I wasn't clear, but both sides should be the same length. Its just that certain aftermarket brands have different length spacers than stock
That's to account for the different lenghts needed so you can keep the "arms" of the sway bar paralell to the ground when you lower the car....
Old 12-20-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
I just got my car out of the body shop and there was quite a bit of suspension damage. We replaced the front k member with a BMR tubular turbo k members and 1 front left lower control arm. We did a few other things, but this is all that is necessary for this purpose.

I get the car back and have been hearing this loose rattle from the suspension. Its so minor that I dont even know if is actually happening or I am a nervous **** and its all in my head. Well I go to hunt it down today and find what you see pictured below on the driver front. Sorry for the quality, its an iphone with a flashlight, thats all I got for now.

Now the passenger side link is fine, and the spacer is about 4 fingers wide. The driver side top nut is maxed out on the threads and the spacer is only 3 fingers wide. So its not the right one. But it was fine before because I have adjusted it. My question is, do aftermarket sway bars have longer/shorter or different sized spacers on their endlinks? I am going to talk to the shop Monday, but just curious to what I have, like a stock link and I need an aftermarket, or vice versa.

Thanks...

First things first...Yes, the link length/adjustment on both sides of the car should be pretty much the same. Having said that, did the shop A) remember to get ALL the bushings back on the link? The slop you appear to have in the one picture looks to be about what you'd have if somebody forgot one of the bushings; and b) did they replace one of the links due to damage? if so, did they replace it with the same length like as the other side?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
That's to account for the different lenghts needed so you can keep the "arms" of the sway bar paralell to the ground when you lower the car....
My stranos only came with one type of end link and it was different than the stock end link. I didn't lower my car either then. I'm not sure what you're saying.

[QUOTE=leadfoot4;12644896 did they replace one of the links due to damage? if so, did they replace it with the same length like as the other side?[/QUOTE]

That's what I've been talking about. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just get new endlinks. it looks like they forgot a bushing or didnt tighten it down enough
Old 12-20-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^^^

what he said, but check first.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It is either what they said^^ or they were assembled without the load on suspension.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by AdmAnt13
My stranos only came with one type of end link and it was different than the stock end link. I didn't lower my car either then. I'm not sure what you're saying.
The "hard" mounting point of a sway bar is the two bushings on the front of the subframe, that the bar passes through. Those points, however, will vary with respect to the mounting points on the a-arms, as the car is raised or lowered. The object of the game is to keep the "arms" of the sway bar as close to paralell with the ground as possible.

Raise the car, the arms drop, you need longer links to grt the arms back level. Lower the car, the arms go "uphill", you use shorter links.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok, I understand that the spacers are supossed to be the same length. It is not missing a bushing, it is missing the proper spacer on one side. I was asking if most aftermarket ones would be longer or shorter, but as I found out, I need the longer one, because the nut is bottomed out on the threads. I do not want to spend more money on this car.

They replaced the k member, and everything looks old, so they didnt replace any of those parts, but it was removed during installation of other parts.

So looks like I just needs to find the proper LONGER spacer, as the one pictured above, is shorter, not loose or quirked or anything like that, the spacer is just shorter...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1SLwLS1
ok, I understand that the spacers are supossed to be the same length. It is not missing a bushing, it is missing the proper spacer on one side. I was asking if most aftermarket ones would be longer or shorter, but as I found out, I need the longer one, because the nut is bottomed out on the threads. I do not want to spend more money on this car.

They replaced the k member, and everything looks old, so they didnt replace any of those parts, but it was removed during installation of other parts.

So looks like I just needs to find the proper LONGER spacer, as the one pictured above, is shorter, not loose or quirked or anything like that, the spacer is just shorter...

Are you saying that the spacers are different lengths on one side vs. the other? If so, since you mention that the left control arm was replaced, I'll assume that was the damaged side, and it was the link that was changed. I suggest you take out the right side link, take it to the parts store, and get one to match it. A stock replacement should do the trick. Or, although not the correct solution, just get a shorter bolt.....
Old 12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well to be honest with you I dont know what happenend whenever the mechanic was working under there. I do know that they are different length spacers and I need a longer one. But they were fine before, and now they are not. So I will probably just go to the parts store and get a set of endlinks/bushings. Both links are definitely not new, but how he mixed up one of mine with another one is beyond me. So I will just buy a stock replacement set and see if the "arms" are level with the ground. If not, I will try and find some shorter ones. Even though I will probably remove the front sway bar altogether when I do a single front mount turbo.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

Get new endlinks at Autozone or Advance Auto

Quick Reply: What wrong with my front endlinks?