Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

9" users w/ lowering springs.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9" users w/ lowering springs.....

For those of you that have a 9" rear and lowering springs.........
I'll be putting in some Strano Springs and Koni 4/3's here soon.
In regards to the rear, I'm looking to see how many of you re-installed your isolator when you put in your new springs, or if any of you did the "hose mod" as well.
I know my MWC 9" jacked the rear up slightly higher than it was stock, so I'm wondering if I should do that "hose mod" while I'm in there to even things out a little.
Again, this is for 9" users only please. Just looking for a little insight. Pics would be a definite bonus.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
TECH Regular

I wound up just reusing the stock isolator. Not the best background and these were kinda quick photos before putting it away like minutes before the first snow but...

Old 12-29-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car isn't an LS1 but I am running a Moser 9inch with Strano Springs and Koni 4/4 shocks, follow the link in my sig for pics. I left the rear spring isolators in and my car does sit a little higher in the rear. The main reason I didn't do the hose mod is I didn't want my bump stops any closer to the rear axle tubes.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

This is the biggest downfall if your car is really low. First few big bumps you go over after install are rather noisy so it can clearance itself.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

Hmm...I haven't received that upgrade yet. At least I don't think so, I would like to think I would notice that. When I dig my trailer out of the mountain of snow piled around it I'll hafta get the car inside, on the lift, and check her out. Stupid fort drum winters.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

MWC 9'', Strano springs on Koni shocks with the stock isolators in place. I had to clearance the small horizontal cross brace just above the rear tunnel. The rear will sit a little higher, but I like the slight rake it gives the car.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:01 AM
FormerVendor

Hello
Anytime when it comes to a 9" rear it is normal to have to make room for it due to the center section being bigger in diameter especially when you lower a vehicle ride height. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 12-31-2009, 08:56 AM
Launching!

what if you have a 9" and a umi tunnel mounted torque arm and strano/koni set up? the body doesnt have much travel but i have plenty of bumpstop travel.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CUR 4 VNM
what if you have a 9" and a umi tunnel mounted torque arm and strano/koni set up? the body doesnt have much travel but i have plenty of bumpstop travel.
Hello
That is what I am explaining. It just shows you how much bigger the center section is compared to a stock or even a S60.
Take it easy!
Brad
Old 12-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Launching!

oh i no. the op had not said anything about if he had a torque arm or not thats why i was asking as i would like to do the hose mod and it sounds like he may want to too

Last edited by CUR 4 VNM; 12-31-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM
FormerVendor

I would just highly recommend just going with a stock rear spring (then no issues what so ever) And just do a front aftermarket spring. But that is just my opinion...Either way its up to the specific person.
Thanks Again
Brad
Old 12-31-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for all the insight and pics guys, I really appreciate it; and that's funny how 'meatman' mentioned it would "self clearance" itself. Got a good laugh out of that one.
Oh and I'm sorry I should've been more specific 'cur 4 vnm,' yes I'm running an aftermarket torque arm, it's the longer one specific to the MWC 9". Most of my mods are listed in my sig in case you were wondering anything else.
A valid point brought up by most of you is the fact pertaining to the sheer size of the 9" housing in relation to the rear tunnel, which of course was never designed for such a monster. That was in the back of my mind, however I didn't think it would be a major issue due the relatively mild drop (1.2") you get w/ the Strano Springs. Mix that "hose mod" in there too and I see where you could really run into some issues. Anyway, I'll most likely just end up re-installing the isolators like the majority of you did, and go from there. After all it's really not that hard to pull the rear springs back out again should I decide to change my mind.

Originally Posted by UMI Sales
I would just highly recommend just going with a stock rear spring (then no issues what so ever) And just do a front aftermarket spring. But that is just my opinion...Either way its up to the specific person.
Thanks Again
Brad
That would definitely not give me the stance I'm looking for, however I do appreciate the advice. My whole reason for lowering the car is to mainly reduce the fender gap and also gain any handling advantages that go along w/ the procedure (hence the koni's).
Old 12-31-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a mose 9inch with hotchkiss lowering springs. I've use the stock isolators. the rear does sit a little higher then usually but i kinda like the rake look. only problem is that the torque arm bracket hits the undercarriage of the body on hard bumps.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Launching!

i am also trying to see about the hose mod. the stance is ok i just think im so used to how low the sportlines are and i like to have no fender to tire gap if i could. the sportlines beat up the floor a little bit so i may try it or just hammer it in a little bit more and hope it doesnt rub.