Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Installing front Eibach lowering springs tonight, best way to do this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing front Eibach lowering springs tonight, best way to do this?

Anyone have a quick write up or how to on this? Its on my 94. Hoping to lower the front back down to at least stock ride height after all the weight reduction. Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the 97 and below aren't much different than the 98 and up front suspension wise this video should help you.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...all_688318.htm
Old 01-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too sure if the LT1s have the same suspension setup as the
LS1s, but I just did this a couple of weeks ago. Here's what I did: (sorry no pics)...

- I placed the front of the car on jackstands.

- Removed the wheels.

- Open hood

- I started on driver's side

- Undo the end of the sway bar

- Remove the two bolts/nuts that secure the bottom of the shock

- Now for the top...on my 2001 TA, I had to unbolt the brake fluid resevoir from the firewall to get to the 2 torx bolts and 2 nuts that hold the top of the shock in place. Once the brake resevoir was out of the way, I simply removed the 2 nuts and the 2 torx bolts.

- Here is where I did things a little different than some. If you are able to, many guys recommend undoing the upper ball joint. This will definitely make it easier to get the shock assembly out. I chose not to undo the ball joint and was able to wiggle the shock assembly out. By all means, if you can undo the ball joint, go ahead and do so. BTW, don't allow the brake rotor to hang freely...the weight may damage your brake line.

- Once you have the shock assembly out, all you have to do now is compress the spring enough to be able to remove the nut on the top of the shock assembly. Make sure you use an actual "spring compressor". I've heard of some people getting hurt by not properly compressing the spring, then trying to remove the top nut.

- Once you have the shock assembly dismantled, simply replace the old spring with the new Eibach spring and reassemble in reverse order.

- I did the passenger side using the same process. It was actually a little easier in that I didn't have to fiddle with the brake resevoir.

I hope this helps. I'm no expert by any means...just a regular guy trying to save money by doing things myself...
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

thats a really good write up.. sounds just like what i did.. but we rented a bay with lift..
Old 01-09-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for taking the time to write that up , maybe someone should make that a sticky? Gonna give it a shot tonight, I dont have a front sway bar so thats one less step I have to do.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6
Old 01-09-2010, 06:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

x3 on the LT1 vs LS1 suspension, not quite sure on any similarity there....but anyhow, here's a couple write ups on front and rear for the 98+ fbody's........

Front: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=6

Rear: http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=8
Old 01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

LoL, looks like "BandDirector" and I are on the same page. Great minds think alike!