Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Stud Holes

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stud Holes

Ok, so I have swapped out my 10 bolt for a 12 bolt Moser. From Moser, I had them put in the factory studs in the hub.

Now I put my new rotors on and notice there are some hell-of-a gaps around the studs and at all different locations, its not uniform overall, some of the gaps are on the right side of a stud, then on another stud it is on the left and so forth.

So I didn't really look to see if it was this way on the 10 bolt & factory parts...however, now I have driven around for a while on the new rearend and all of a sudden I have two studs that are bent.

I measured the holes on the rotors, most are somewhere around a .612 range but they are all different.

If I buy new rotors, say from ATE or some manufacturer, will they be toleranced to the factory studs? instead of this mismatched that is causing me to have bent studs and improper/uneven loading on the studs?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

does anyone know what i'm talking about?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A pic would be helpful. I'm trying to picture what you're talking about.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry, hope this helps
Ok, so the red circled parts are the rotor stud holes.

the holes for my studs ON THE ROTOR are WAY LARGER then my studs.
ALSO, the holes seem like they are not quite correctly offset either. In the YELLOW, you can for example see how my studs are positioned (for example), some are centered in the hole, with a large gap around them, and others are just touching on one side

when I bought the 12 bolt, i bought studs from moser that are factory size, which is 12 mm X 1.5 pitch commonly marketed as M12X1.5.
Which they did measure correctly to that spec, however my rotor holes are ~0.612 inches ----> 12mm is 0.472 .........so YEH.

well after examining my studs, i have several bent ones.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

The holes on the rotor are usually a little bigger than the stud, but if they are not perfectly aligned something could be wrong.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by spy2520
The holes on the rotor are usually a little bigger than the stud, but if they are not perfectly aligned something could be wrong.
little bigger meaning how much? mine are a GOOD .14 off (larger than my studs)

I think this is causing my bent studs, time for new rotors anyway...going to measure new rotor stud holes at parts store to ensure this.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:56 AM
TECH Resident

does the factory 10 bolt axles & studs have some kind of flare or taper to help seat the rotor on them better versus mosers studs & axles?
Old 05-17-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

i bet when I'm braking, all of my rotor holes are out far enough that the rotor is slamming on the studs and causing a stud or two to bend
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That sounds possible.

The holes are usually a little larger than the studs but all the same. So if the stud is sitting on the left side of the hole on one, it should be that way on all. From the way it sounds, those rotors are not even close to that, sounds like they are designed for a different bolt pattern altogether.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
i bet when I'm braking, all of my rotor holes are out far enough that the rotor is slamming on the studs and causing a stud or two to bend
There is no possible way that this is happening. For this to happen your wheels would have to be loose enough for the rotor to spin between the hub and the wheel. I dont see this causing your studs to bend either. The holes could be 3/4" in diameter and it shouldn't cause any problems, because all that matters is that the rotor is centered. The rotor is centered by the register on the end of the axle.

What wheels are you running? I would look into something other than that to cause your studs to be bending.
Old 05-17-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

well on the rim you can see where the rotor has slid/moved. wheel lug nuts are tq'd to 85 ft lbs. stock wheels. The rotor does sit correctly on the center piece of the axle, however the bolt holes are not all centered or all left side.

either this or when I tear it down, I have a stud hole or two that still has a small bur or burs in the holes in the axle.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

according to your picture you have some studs that are against the right and some that are against the left size of the holes. If this is correct, then there is no way the rotor is shifting.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Resident

that picture is for example. I was actually asking if it could happen. will find out next weekend.

until then.

Quick Reply: Stud Holes