Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

tie rod ends and ball joint boots

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tie rod ends and ball joint boots

I'm having trouble getting my new Moog outter tie rod ends to slip into the knuckle. Past the threads seems to be tapered out. Do I just need to bang-on it harder?
Also, I replaced the lower ball joints and the Moog dust boots won't seal right. Can I just silicone it down? I've read that the Moog boots should be replaced with energy suspension pieces, but can anyone help me with the part# ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myred98ss
I'm having trouble getting my new Moog outter tie rod ends to slip into the knuckle. Past the threads seems to be tapered out. Do I just need to bang-on it harder?
Also, I replaced the lower ball joints and the Moog dust boots won't seal right. Can I just silicone it down? I've read that the Moog boots should be replaced with energy suspension pieces, but can anyone help me with the part# ? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You shouldn't have to "bang" on them at all. Get the stud started through the spindle, and draw it in place with the castle nut. If it doesn't draw in easily and completely, you got the wrong part...maybe an incorrectly marked box.

If you go to the Energy Suspension website, they have a complete listing section for Camaro/Firebird parts.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Thanks. The tie rod end wont slip down enough to even get the nut on. I thought when adjusting for aligment they pull them out and turn, so I didn't see how forcing them in would work. Just my bad luck. I didn't go straight to Energy Suspension website. I'll try now. The Moog boots don't seat well and grease is already leaking out. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

your probably trying to install the tie rod end the wrong way. The tie rod end is tapered and so is the spindle. They will only go together in one direction. I dont remember which way they go through the spindle on our cars, but I almost guarantee that is what is happening.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Teching In

Well, I will ask then- from the bottom or the top? I started this project weeks ago and had other issues (replaced rack, had to get all bushings pressed)
BTW- someone respond, and if I am installing wrong- I will post so all can have a good laugh!!!
Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

try both ways, it will only go through enough to get the nut on if you are going through it the right way.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From the bottom ... nut goes on top.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

I'm hoping some of the TECH smarts you guys have are rubbing off on me cause I went out and did just that before I read your post - it's from the bottom- I am a complete fool. Any other newbs should learn from this- take pictures, do 1 side at a time (if possible, I couldn't)

THANK YOU 99345HP for not overlooking my complete stupidity, and THANK YOU leadfoot4 for responding before I bashed the hell out of it with a BFH and made things worse.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Thanks mitchntx - I'm slow - but you get the first laugh.
BTW- LS1TECH has really helped me- I've actually done a bunch of good work on my car with the info here.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i have ES boots on all my front end
Old 06-19-2010, 06:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by myred98ss
I'm hoping some of the TECH smarts you guys have are rubbing off on me cause I went out and did just that before I read your post - it's from the bottom- I am a complete fool. Any other newbs should learn from this- take pictures, do 1 side at a time (if possible, I couldn't)

THANK YOU 99345HP for not overlooking my complete stupidity, and THANK YOU leadfoot4 for responding before I bashed the hell out of it with a BFH and made things worse.
"Red", it appears that you're back on track.....one other piece of advice, and I think you now realize it. When doing something like this for the first time, and where you're going to be working on both sides of the car, disassemble only one side at a time, That way, you have a reference as to how things go back together.

Don't feel too bad, we all had to start somewhere. Sometimes I overlook the obvious, as I've been doing this kind of work for close to 40 years, and by now, it's second nature to me. What I'm getting at, is I never thought to confirm with you, that you were installing the rod end from the bottom.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Hafta bother you guys again. Can anyone give me the part# for the ES ball joint boot cover? I don't see a model specific listing, only universals. I'm trying to measure the Moog cover, but I would like to be sure. Thanks again

Quick Reply: tie rod ends and ball joint boots