Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need to purchase shocks...would like adjustable, QA1 vs AFCO vs Strange

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow I need to purchase shocks...would like adjustable, QA1 vs AFCO vs Strange

I'm in dire need of shocks and figure since I will be taking my car to the track soon, I should get some adjustables. I was trying to see if double adjustable is worth the extra cash. My car is my daily driver, but sees street pulls often, and am hoping to see some track time.

Also, I hear that AFCO is the best, but there prices are a little out of my reach. Would Strange or QA1 R be comparable to AFCO's if I'm on a budget? Also, I've been reading about spring rates...should I get 300lb springs all the way around or something like 275 (front) and 300 (rear) or would the front have too much slop for DD?

I currently have UMI Double adjustable Panhard bar, DA LCAs, relocates, SA TQ ARM, TQ arm relocate.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I DID CHECK the stickies and used SEARCH. I need to order these by tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you,

Matt
Old 06-15-2010, 11:00 PM
On The Tree

Bump.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Old 06-16-2010, 03:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello Matt,

We have always used QA1 and had good luck with them. Afco is very good as well, we are just trying them now. They look to be excellent and only a little more than QA1. But QA1 is less expensive, double adjustable is going to be double the price.

For QA1 items you would run two front QA1 shocks, two QA1 springs and two QA1 rear shocks. QA1 recommends using factory rear springs with there rear shocks.

For front springs 275 are drag race only and cars with front end weight reduction. If your car is exposed to street use the 300lb would be my recommendation.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the single adjustabe Strange shocks. They are a nice piece for the cash in my opinion. Easy to use and perform well at the track. I went with the 300lb springs in the front as my car sees alot of street time and at the time i hadn't lost any weight in the front. I ordered mine from Dennis at BMR. I also heard the Verishock was a nice piece. Just another option to consider i guess.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello Matt,

We have always used QA1 and had good luck with them. Afco is very good as well, we are just trying them now. They look to be excellent and only a little more than QA1. But QA1 is less expensive, double adjustable is going to be double the price.

For QA1 items you would run two front QA1 shocks, two QA1 springs and two QA1 rear shocks. QA1 recommends using factory rear springs with there rear shocks.

For front springs 275 are drag race only and cars with front end weight reduction. If your car is exposed to street use the 300lb would be my recommendation.

Hope that helps!
Ryan

Thank you for the help. What would the rear spring rate need to be at? 300lbs all the way around? The car is full weight and is daily driven.

Thanks again.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Scarface20_03
I have the single adjustabe Strange shocks. They are a nice piece for the cash in my opinion. Easy to use and perform well at the track. I went with the 300lb springs in the front as my car sees alot of street time and at the time i hadn't lost any weight in the front. I ordered mine from Dennis at BMR. I also heard the Verishock was a nice piece. Just another option to consider i guess.
Thank you for the input...so are the Stranges basically the same as QA1 R's, just a different brand?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Hello Matt,

Hope that helps!

Ryan

I have a set of Eibach pro kit lowering springs on my Z28 right now. Would yalls QA1 F series shocks work good with these springs ? I had ordered some kyb adjustables in the front and literally snapped one in half while running it on the street. So i really dont want to go back to those shocks.
Old 06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by venom 13
Thank you for the help. What would the rear spring rate need to be at? 300lbs all the way around? The car is full weight and is daily driven.

Thanks again.
Glad to help. 300lb would be the front spring rate which is the QA1 spring rate I would recommend. You would use your factory rear springs which I think are 150lbs.

Originally Posted by LS1balt
I have a set of Eibach pro kit lowering springs on my Z28 right now. Would yalls QA1 F series shocks work good with these springs ? I had ordered some kyb adjustables in the front and literally snapped one in half while running it on the street. So i really dont want to go back to those shocks.
The QA1 shocks are designed for QA1 springs. In order to get other springs to work you need get a perch for them to sit on. This perch would sit on the QA1 perch and have to be large enough for the Eibach spring.

Hope that helps,
Ryan
Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

There is a lot of good choices when it comes to shocks, we have always felt that Strange is your best bang for the buck. We have had very good luck for them and have had many customers change out from Qa1's to Strange over the years.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
There is a lot of good choices when it comes to shocks, we have always felt that Strange is your best bang for the buck. We have had very good luck for them and have had many customers change out from Qa1's to Strange over the years.
im going strange double adj with my MWC 9" thats being built

a friend has them on all four corners and its just amazing
Old 06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis
What reason did customers use to decide to go with the Strange shocks over the QA1 R's? Handling, drag setup, comfort, valving?

Glad to help. 300lb would be the front spring rate which is the QA1 spring rate I would recommend. You would use your factory rear springs which I think are 150lbs.

Hope that helps,
Ryan

OK, thank you. My rear factory springs are sagging, so I guess I would just order some facotry replacements, correct?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:11 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Reasons have varied really. Strange has nice quality and a great reputation when it comes to shocks. We recommend them to about anyone even though we are capable of selling any other type of shock on the market. We do offer Afco as well and you do get what you pay for with them no doubt.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

I chose the Strange for the ease of use. Where mine are single adjustable i don't have to worry about adjusting both settings as i enjoy cruising town with my SS. I can have them set up stiff for everyday driving and then when it's time to hit the strip i adjust them back. It can be done with double adjustables but for a little over a grand for all four corners i just couldn't beat the price either.

Quick Reply: I need to purchase shocks...would like adjustable, QA1 vs AFCO vs Strange