Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Let me tell you something...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let me tell you something...

If you have made the investment in the Koni SA/Strano Springs and haven't purchased Sam's hollow sway bars, you're missing the boat here. For those that have you know what I'm talking about. I've been building on my suspension for a serious corner caver. So I did a back to back comparo first with Koni SA/Strano Springs (Koni settings:4 sweeps front, 1 full turn rear) without Sam's hollow sway bars and could deff tell I was way beyond the limit of the stock sway bars. Car handled well but nervous at the limit as you could really feel there was more traction there but not usable do to the sway.
So I bought Sam's hollow sway bars and put them on last Friday and went and ran the exact same roads only a couple days apart and holy **** what a MAJOR difference they made. Turn in is much quicker, front end bites harder, car stays flat through the corner and absolutely no sway or nervousness at all. The car is an absolute blast to drive. So if you've been wondering will the sway bars really make that much of a difference, imo, "Yes They Will."

They really do complete the package so if you haven't go out and get some you won't be disappointed.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redracer1
If you have made the investment in the Koni SA/Strano Springs and haven't purchased Sam's hollow sway bars, you're missing the boat here. For those that have you know what I'm talking about. I've been building on my suspension for a serious corner caver. So I did a back to back comparo first with Koni SA/Strano Springs (Koni settings:4 sweeps front, 1 full turn rear) without Sam's hollow sway bars and could deff tell I was way beyond the limit of the stock sway bars. Car handled well but nervous at the limit as you could really feel there was more traction there but not usable do to the sway.
So I bought Sam's hollow sway bars and put them on last Friday and went and ran the exact same roads only a couple days apart and holy **** what a MAJOR difference they made. Turn in is much quicker, front end bites harder, car stays flat through the corner and absolutely no sway or nervousness at all. The car is an absolute blast to drive. So if you've been wondering will the sway bars really make that much of a difference, imo, "Yes They Will."

They really do complete the package so if you haven't go out and get some you won't be disappointed.
Good to know, I've been thinking about working on the overall set up on mine. I've got strano springs and Koni DA's, but have the 1LE front with a generic 21mm rear. I guess I need to seriously consider the investment in the front and rear hollow bars Sam offers.
On a similar note, I wonder if anyone has the same experience with Strano Springs with Bilsteins and his bars. Reason I ask is I think I need to rebuild or change my konis and wondered since I don't really do any adjusting, can I get away with the Bilstiens and get the same or at least similar results with his springs and his bars. Any other thoughts by anyone else? Maybe thoughts by Sam himself?
Old 06-22-2010, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Rebuilt DA's would be my choice. I do quite a bit of adjusting on the rear shocks. Full soft most of the time and one full turn when it's party time. With a vert it only takes me about 2 min to make the switch. I'm not totaly familiar with the 1le front sway so you might only need to upgrade the rear sway bar. I drove the car a couple days apart so the before and after test was very fresh and couldn't believe the difference.
Other mods I have are J&M LCA's but will be changing over to the UMI poly/roto-joint, UMI STB, UMI relo-bracket UMI adj PHB.

I dont see LCA's in your sig.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove around with Strano springs and Koni 4/4's for about a year and loved the way it handled. I recently upgraded to Strano Sways and then added UMI Roto-joints LCA's. The car is a totally different beast now. The car is very stable and predictable. Even on pavement that is uneven the car is planted, before the springs/koni/Sways and Roto joint install the rear would have been coming around and hard to controll on the uneven pavement. The fun thing is the harder you push it the better it feels in the corners
Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly, I personally believe swaybars should always be the first handling mod made on an f-body for several reasons.

1. Good price/performance ratio. Springs are cheaper IF you install them yourself. Swaybars are far easier to install than springs or shocks though.
2. Best performance/ride ratio. Virtually zero impact on ride quality with a significant improvement in performance.

Second handling mod would be the Koni's. Bit more expensive, bit tougher to install, but provides the most significant improvement in handling with a bit firmer ride (though not harsh).

Third is the springs. Cheapest part price, install difficulty same as the shocks (certainly recommend doing both at the same time) Substantial handling improvement, but also most significant affect on ride quality as well. Ride quality approaches 'harsh' on rough roads, but if you want your f-body handling the best it can, it's well worth the trade-off.

Of course, ideally you'd just do everything at once. Some of us don't have unlimited budgets, so mods need to be done over time, in which case it's useful to have some evaluation of what should be done first.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

The cool part about building a suspension is you can buy and install parts as you can afford them. Only two I recommend installing together is the front shocks and springs so you only do it once.

I know with the investment in a good shock/spring package it can be expensive and with the koni/strano springs most are satisfied with there performance from this upgrade. Larger sway bars better complete this package more so than than other componants imo even tho most say when lowering an adj phb is nessesary for rear centering and relo brackets. That's all well and good and I have all those components as well but even with those the suspension didn't FEEL complete untill the sway bars were added. The reason for my post was I was so impressed after the install I just had to say something, cause they aren't cheap and held off on them myself. So I was just trying to sway<<<<lol others that might be on the fence whether they're worth the investment and deff are.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jRaskell
Honestly, I personally believe swaybars should always be the first handling mod made on an f-body for several reasons.

1. Good price/performance ratio. Springs are cheaper IF you install them yourself. Swaybars are far easier to install than springs or shocks though.
2. Best performance/ride ratio. Virtually zero impact on ride quality with a significant improvement in performance.

Second handling mod would be the Koni's. Bit more expensive, bit tougher to install, but provides the most significant improvement in handling with a bit firmer ride (though not harsh).

Third is the springs. Cheapest part price, install difficulty same as the shocks (certainly recommend doing both at the same time) Substantial handling improvement, but also most significant affect on ride quality as well. Ride quality approaches 'harsh' on rough roads, but if you want your f-body handling the best it can, it's well worth the trade-off.

Of course, ideally you'd just do everything at once. Some of us don't have unlimited budgets, so mods need to be done over time, in which case it's useful to have some evaluation of what should be done first.
From my experience I have to disagree. While the bigger font bar didn't have any impact on ride quality the rear bar did, although very tolerable, where as the Konis improved ride quality quite a bit for me.
Next swaybars don't "fix" our cars weak link, lack of dampening. The shocks didn't just add cornering grip and make the car flatter like the swaybars, but they made the car dramatically more balanced, easier to drive at the limit and way way more stable in all situations. No brainer for me, the very first mod that should be done to an fbody.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Racin'Z28
On a similar note, I wonder if anyone has the same experience with Strano Springs with Bilsteins and his bars.
I'd like to know this as well, since I'm running Sam's revalved Bilsteins with his springs but without the bars.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 PM
TECH Regular

I think if you have stock sway bars on an SS or Z28 you'd benefit from a set of larger sway bars. A WS6 T/A might not benefit quite as much as it has a larger front sway bar factory installed. Once the Strano bars were installed I could instantly tell steering responce and turn in was quicker even at low speeds and on another note feels safer do to the added control. If I was at freeway speed and needed to make some type of emergency manuver to get outs harms way I know I'd have much better control over the car.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strano sway bars are on my to do list for this fall, and my factory sway bar is even smaller than the one on your SS. According to strano's site, I should see about 30% less roll with the new bar, and loose a little weight too. I'm excited to read this, thanks for sharing!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
Strano sway bars are on my to do list for this fall, and my factory sway bar is even smaller than the one on your SS. According to strano's site, I should see about 30% less roll with the new bar, and loose a little weight too. I'm excited to read this, thanks for sharing!
Fo sho.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

YOu think you need to rebuild them WHY? How old are they?

Good to know, I've been thinking about working on the overall set up on mine. I've got strano springs and Koni DA's, but have the 1LE front with a generic 21mm rear. I guess I need to seriously consider the investment in the front and rear hollow bars Sam offers.
On a similar note, I wonder if anyone has the same experience with Strano Springs with Bilsteins and his bars. Reason I ask is I think I need to rebuild or change my konis and wondered since I don't really do any adjusting, can I get away with the Bilstiens and get the same or at least similar results with his springs and his bars. Any other thoughts by anyone else? Maybe thoughts by Sam himself?
Old 06-24-2010, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Ok, so did you get the rear adjustable Strano swaybar? Why or why not? For what applications would it be beneficial?

Old 06-24-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

I think you are forgetting welded subframe connectors -- makes a HUGE difference in making the car feel solid and fully put together. Before them it felt flimsy and sloppier.

Originally Posted by jRaskell

Old 06-24-2010, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Makes me think about getting them again, thanks for the encouragement. And how much did Sam pay you to write this? J/K, the bars are next on my list for sure.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Lightbulb

Here's the 1LE definition, according to:
http://www.camarossregistry.com/options/1151.html

Camaro SS by Option: SLP 1LE Suspension Package
This performance suspension system, now being offered exclusively by SLP, includes double adjustable Koni Shocks. (n/a on convertible or with Bilstein Suspension Package)

1LE suspension is back, and now offered exclusively by SLP. It includes Koni double adjustable front and rear shocks allowing you to "tune" your suspension to your specific handling needs. Front upper and lower control arms are tightened up with stiffer rubber bushings. Hollow 35mm front swaybar significantly reduces body roll. Includes revised endlinks, reinforced body mount brackets and firmer bushings. Rear lower control arms with firmer bushings reduce wheel hop under heavy acceleration. Larger 21mm rear swaybar and bushings decrease body roll. Package also includes Koni shock adjustment tool.

Rebuilt DA's would be my choice. I do quite a bit of adjusting on the rear shocks. Full soft most of the time and one full turn when it's party time. With a vert it only takes me about 2 min to make the switch. I'm not totaly familiar with the 1le front sway so you might only need to upgrade the rear sway bar. I drove the car a couple days apart so the before and after test was very fresh and couldn't believe the difference.
Other mods I have are J&M LCA's but will be changing over to the UMI poly/roto-joint, UMI STB, UMI relo-bracket UMI adj PHB.

I dont see LCA's in your sig.
Old 06-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
YOu think you need to rebuild them WHY? How old are they?
Don't know exactly how old since i bought them used. They were on a CMC car with 1000/250 springs. I don't know for sure if the guy revalved to that rate or not. The picture below is what happened after i had one of the fronts come loose and i beat the crap out of the top of the shock, hence my thought to get them rebuilt. The adjuster still actually turns but it's not functional when still on the car since you can't make any changes since its so mushroomed.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 06-24-2010, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

Ok, so did you get the rear adjustable Strano swaybar? Why or why not? For what applications would it be beneficial?
No, Sam and I did talk about it tho and at this time didn't need it for what I'm using the car for. They'd be beneficial for race applications and a WattsLinks set up. Which I will have aventually, I'll just have to upgrade the rear bar.

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Makes me think about getting them again, thanks for the encouragement. And how much did Sam pay you to write this? J/K, the bars are next on my list for sure.

I could ask you the same thing.lol. Of all people that should have them.
Naw, I've been working with Sam for the past year on my set up and his sway bars just took it to the next level and just had to say something.

Here's the 1LE definition, according to:
http://www.camarossregistry.com/options/1151.html

Camaro SS by Option: SLP 1LE Suspension Package
This performance suspension system, now being offered exclusively by SLP, includes double adjustable Koni Shocks. (n/a on convertible or with Bilstein Suspension Package)

1LE suspension is back, and now offered exclusively by SLP. It includes Koni double adjustable front and rear shocks allowing you to "tune" your suspension to your specific handling needs. Front upper and lower control arms are tightened up with stiffer rubber bushings. Hollow 35mm front swaybar significantly reduces body roll. Includes revised endlinks, reinforced body mount brackets and firmer bushings. Rear lower control arms with firmer bushings reduce wheel hop under heavy acceleration. Larger 21mm rear swaybar and bushings decrease body roll. Package also includes Koni shock adjustment tool.

Cool thanks for the info, so i was right you could up the 1le rear bar up to a 22mm.

Don't know exactly how old since i bought them used. They were on a CMC car with 1000/250 springs. I don't know for sure if the guy revalved to that rate or not. The picture below is what happened after i had one of the fronts come loose and i beat the crap out of the top of the shock, hence my thought to get them rebuilt. The adjuster still actually turns but it's not functional when still on the car since you can't make any changes since its so mushroomed.

[IMG][/IMG]

Damn...rear right?? did it have a double nut?? If the shocks still fuction I'd fix that and keep em if your still happy with the performance.

Threw in some pics of my own:

How they came...They have an excellent powder coat 1000 times better than the stock bars.

Had them Powder Coated RED...no this won't hurt them

Look at those sexy curves

Front bars....Red is the Strano vs Stock

^^^ look at the bend Strano's much thicker^^^

Rear bars..again RED is Strano vs Stock...they deff look larger in person

Installed....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Where all the Magic Happens^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They look GREAT powder coated black I just went the extra mile and had em coated RED....I wouldn't be redracer if I didn't.lol.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think if you have stock sway bars on an SS or Z28 you'd benefit from a set of larger sway bars. A WS6 T/A might not benefit quite as much as it has a larger front sway bar factory installed. Once the Strano bars were installed I could instantly tell steering responce and turn in was quicker even at low speeds and on another note feels safer do to the added control. If I was at freeway speed and needed to make some type of emergency manuver to get outs harms way I know I'd have much better control over the car.
As far as I know the SS and WS6 had the exact same (32mm front, 19mm rear) swaybars.
But all the rest of the points in this post are truth.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
As far as I know the SS and WS6 had the exact same (32mm front, 19mm rear) swaybars.
But all the rest of the points in this post are truth.
Really, I thought the WS6 had a larger front bar I stand corrected, cool even more reason.

Quick Reply: Let me tell you something...