Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

WS6- squealing when turning slow

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WS6- squealing when turning slow

When I turn at slow speeds, I hear some kind squealing or "whirring" sound coming from the rear of my 2000 WS6. I have 4.10 gears so I'm thinking a mechanic messed something up when the last owner changed the gears.

Anyone have this problem before?
Old 07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a groaning sound at low speeds when turning...changed the gear fluid (and added a TA Perf rear end cover) and voila, no more noise. Mine was a low pitched groan though. If it's a high-pitched squeal, you might want to have a different shop take a look.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Yes low gear is your answer.I had the same problem
Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM

I bought gear fluid. Did a Google search on how to change it but no luck.

is this something someone like me who only knows basic car knowledge could do? I know how to do an oil change, and change the tires... that's about it. where is the fluid reservoir anyways?
Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's pretty easy. Drive the car a little to get the rear warmed up. Get the rear end up high enough to reach under. Use a 13 mm socket and loosen the bottom 3 bolts. Put a catch pan underneath. Remove the bottom 3 bolts and loosen the remaining 7, but make sure you leave at least the top one in. If the cover doesn't come off nicely, use a putty knife or scraper to gently pry the cover off and the fluid will come out. Remove the cover fully. Scrape away old gasket. Install new gasket with cover and tighten bolts. Fill with GM additive and gear oil of your choice. I used the GM gear oil specified in my user manual. I used 2 bottles of additive and almost 4 of the gear oil, but the TA girdle allows for more fluid. If you're completely stock, 1 additive and 3 gear oil should be enough.

Took me about an hour, and I'm no wrenching expert.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gbpxl
When I turn at slow speeds, I hear some kind squealing or "whirring" sound coming from the rear of my 2000 WS6. I have 4.10 gears so I'm thinking a mechanic messed something up when the last owner changed the gears.

Anyone have this problem before?
Does it have the factory posi unit still? If it is at low speeds and only when you turn it sounds like the clutches in the posi unit. You may just need to add some posi lube or possibly the unit itself is going bad. I would just check the level first and add a half tube of posi lube then see if it goes away...
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:58 PM

posi unit, not sure what that is. where is it in relation to the rear end cover? and what does it look like?
Old 07-07-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

The posi would actually be inside of the rear end.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Posi-traction unit to be more precise. It's inside your differential. The posi is responsible for making both wheels turn under power as opposed to just one wheel. Most posi's use clutches to "lock them up" when going straight and when turning, they slip a little so that the tires can follow two separate arcs without binding up. These posi's require special lube to operate properly and when the differential is low on fluid or there is no posi lube additive the clutches try to grab and produce a chatter while turning. You can buy posi lube at most parts stores...
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!

Quick Reply: WS6- squealing when turning slow