Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

budget shocks front and back for prokit?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default budget shocks front and back for prokit?

I recently bought some pro kit springs from a member here, i installed the back and my 2000 z28 looks great on the rear,, I haven't done the front yet. I knew I was gonna kill the stock shocks eventually. I know the Bilsteins, konis are some of the better ones, but I want some to just get "by" lol I don't drag race or race at all for that matter. the Z28 is my daily driver an I recently noticed that it pulls to the right and the car started vibrating when on the highway, I do need 2 new front tires so don't know if that's the issue or its because i need to get new shocks and get it an alignment?
I dont mind if any one recomends atozone springs cause I really mean budget lol
part #'s please
Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

Your gonna get the same answers over and over, dont waste your money on anything until you can get the right stuff. I ran Eibach prokit on my car for around 20k miles and my decarbons are shot. I wont spend a dime on new shocks until I can afford the Konis now. I figure do it right once.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:59 PM
12 Second Club

i did the same thing i ran the pro kit and completely shot the decarbons it rides like crap, now i am saving for konis.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

sorry bro, save for konis...and consider selling the pro kit after you swap in some strano springs with said konis.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you need new tires that is probably an indication why it pulls and vibrates. Usually excessive bounce and body roll as well as bottoming out is an indication of bad shocks.

I had a similar setup though. It is a good look. Since you don't race you won't want Konis. And since you're working on a budget and you're happy with the pro-kit you're probably not going to want Strano Springs either (I have the Strano/Koni setup on my car actually). You might want to look into KYB AGXs. I've heard people like the Bilsteins as well.

I suppose if you want to go as basic as it gets you can just go to Auto Zone and see what they have available. Auto Zone and Pep Boys have part searches on their websites now where you can specifically look for parts for your car. Check out Summit also. I know they have a variety of shocks for F-bodies.

Last edited by The Double S; 10-03-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get some KYB's and do the upper mount mod. That should be a large improvement over deCarbons and no suspension travel.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

ya I think i need shocks, you ever heard of loud pipes save lives? well shot shocks also save lives lol I have a muffler cutout and people hear the noise from the shocks over the muffler haha... thanks guys so i guess what I need is the KYB's AGX

and

Originally Posted by CapoWS6
Your gonna get the same answers over and over, dont waste your money on anything until you can get the right stuff. I ran Eibach prokit on my car for around 20k miles and my decarbons are shot. I wont spend a dime on new shocks until I can afford the Konis now. I figure do it right once.
did you buy new decarbons or where they the stock ones? because mine have 114xxx miles on them and I haven't put not even 500 with the pro kit and they are dead.
I wish i could afford the good stuff but for now a good shock that will last 20xxx sounds about right
Old 10-04-2010, 04:22 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd do SLP Bilstein's first, KYB AGX's after that. SLP's are $409.99/set, AGX's $379.99 set

SLP: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7
AGX: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=20&PartID=137
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion