Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Got my hands on some nice LS1 brakes! (pics) Now to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up Got my hands on some nice LS1 brakes! (pics) Now to upgrade

Got both sides for a steal and they're in pretty awesome condition! A little polishing should make the calipers shine nice!
BAER eradispeed rotors? Does anyone have lighter rotors without the crossdrilling?

1. Powdercoat the spindle?
2. Which brakeline upgrade? Ditching the ABS
3. Is that ABS sensor in the middle of the hub removable? That is an ABS sensor right?
4. Brake pads of choice?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brakes are a Great upgrade for lt1 cars..

Talk to sam strano (www.stranoparts.com) about rotors and brakes. im quite confident that he'll hook you up just right.

1)powder coat the spindle and caliper
2)talk to sam
3) dont think so. just leave the cable unplugged.
4) same as #2

hope that helped
Old 10-29-2010, 09:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
brakes are a Great upgrade for lt1 cars..

Talk to sam strano (www.stranoparts.com) about rotors and brakes. im quite confident that he'll hook you up just right.

1)powder coat the spindle and caliper
2)talk to sam
3) dont think so. just leave the cable unplugged.
4) same as #2

hope that helped
How well does powdercoating hold up on the calipers? It just seems that other than looks there seems to be no point.

Was looking at Sam's website. Some hardcore stuff there. Maybe I'll just take a ride to Advanced Auto and just get the rotors cut and get some decent pads.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pads are hard to recommend due to various driving conditions and what you want to do.

I run Hawk HP+ but it's hard for me to recommend them since they are noisy and dust a ton. For most ppl, I recommend the Hawk HPS. I run the more agressive pad b/c I austocross and drive agressivly on back country roads so I like the added stopping power with less fade.

I'm switching to a dedicated track pad in the future. I did one track even on HP+s and they fade quick stopping dozens of times from 135+ mph.

Why do you want to remove ABS? that's a wheel speed sensor btw. I love ABS b/c I'm that hard on the brakes.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm more then likely wrong but weren't the ls1 calipers a single piston design?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
Pads are hard to recommend due to various driving conditions and what you want to do.

I run Hawk HP+ but it's hard for me to recommend them since they are noisy and dust a ton. For most ppl, I recommend the Hawk HPS. I run the more agressive pad b/c I austocross and drive agressivly on back country roads so I like the added stopping power with less fade.

I'm switching to a dedicated track pad in the future. I did one track even on HP+s and they fade quick stopping dozens of times from 135+ mph.

Why do you want to remove ABS? that's a wheel speed sensor btw. I love ABS b/c I'm that hard on the brakes.
Daily driver, short distance to work, occasional drag strip. So I don't really need an aggressive pad like yours.

Why remove the ABS? Weight reduction. And with the short distances I travel not necessary.

Speed sensors part of the ABS, correct?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the cyro treated rotors from Powerslot.... you wont be disappointed
http://www.frozenrotors.com/products...otors-slotted/
Old 10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
How well does powdercoating hold up on the calipers? It just seems that other than looks there seems to be no point.

Was looking at Sam's website. Some hardcore stuff there. Maybe I'll just take a ride to Advanced Auto and just get the rotors cut and get some decent pads.

I also have good quality stuff that's not so "hardcore". I think maybe you are missing something (part of the problem with internet only research).

I have a variety of rotors and pads. Starting as low as $50 each. Hell the Racing Brake Rotors are great and on sale for $100 each. Hawk HPS pads are $87 for the front set. If you want less expensive I can do that too--but it's a pretty classic "get what you pay for" thing.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 10-29-2010, 07:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently determined that the LT1 master cylinder is different than the LS1 MC. The LS1 MC valving is more restrictive on the rear lines due to the lack of heavy recoil springs like what is on the LT1 rear calipers. The LT1 MC makes a very mushy pedal with the conversion. The LS1 MC made for a much better pedal.

And yes powder coat holds up very well on calipers. I did mine in Chevy red.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94T/A5.7LT1
I'm more then likely wrong but weren't the ls1 calipers a single piston design?
You're right, about being wrong. You can clearly see in the picture that the caliper is dual piston.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wrd1972
I recently determined that the LT1 master cylinder is different than the LS1 MC. The LS1 MC valving is more restrictive on the rear lines due to the lack of heavy recoil springs like what is on the LT1 rear calipers. The LT1 MC makes a very mushy pedal with the conversion. The LS1 MC made for a much better pedal.

It looks like he's just doing the fronts. I've done the same and haven't had a problem with the pedal.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Travis Johnson
You're right, about being wrong. You can clearly see in the picture that the caliper is dual piston.
That would be exactly why I asked cause I saw the dual pistons.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

Well that's a LS1 caliper, so obviously dual piston. I've installed them as well.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by wrd1972

Did you keep the stock LS1 brake lines along with the speed sensors?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I also have good quality stuff that's not so "hardcore". I think maybe you are missing something (part of the problem with internet only research).

I have a variety of rotors and pads. Starting as low as $50 each. Hell the Racing Brake Rotors are great and on sale for $100 each. Hawk HPS pads are $87 for the front set. If you want less expensive I can do that too--but it's a pretty classic "get what you pay for" thing.
Thanx for chiming in Sam. Unless the rotors in the pic are no good I'll use them. But I'll take a decent set of pads for the street.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob94hawk
Did you keep the stock LS1 brake lines along with the speed sensors?
Yeah they work fine. I still had to bend the line. Oh and if your not putting the rear LS1 brakes on, the current MC is fine.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

I finnally got around around to upgrading to 98+ fronts with slotted/crossdrilled rotors this summer and wow what a difference over my stock brakes. Great mod. I just painted the caliper red with VHT paint, came out really nice and holding up well. Havent been able to find VHT clear yet, seems to always be out of stock at parts stores.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

No one knows if you need those speed sensors in the hubs if you're deleting the ABS? And, can you get them out?
Old 11-01-2010, 02:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The absolute BEST brake pedal I've ever had in a 4th gen was a '95 car with LS1 fronts (and no MC change).... I'd not bother changing it--been in a lot of LT1's with the LS1 fronts on and no MC change and they've all stopped just as I'd expect and no worse than any real LS1.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
The absolute BEST brake pedal I've ever had in a 4th gen was a '95 car with LS1 fronts (and no MC change).... I'd not bother changing it--been in a lot of LT1's with the LS1 fronts on and no MC change and they've all stopped just as I'd expect and no worse than any real LS1.
What Sam said, and yep my old 93 with factory MC will put your eyeballs into the windshield.

Quick Reply: Got my hands on some nice LS1 brakes! (pics) Now to upgrade