Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Air Bags?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Air Bags?

Anyone have the setup? I'm planning on doing some suspension work in the next few months and have read about a couple of guys doing the Air Ride Tech air ride kit in the rear of the car and getting really good results. I'm thinking about building my own "kit" and I was just looking for some detailed pics if anyone has them. I had some saved from a year or so ago, but my computer crashed and I lost alot of my info and pics that I had saved.

I don't want to cut my car all up, but I don't think that I would have to. Its just getting the cup height right and the right amount of air pressure to make the car ride perfect. I'm not going to use a compressor, just have the schrader valves under the rear trim panels and I can just adjust them when I need to.

Right now the idea I have in my head is to drill 2 holes up through the spring perch 1 for the bag cup mount to hold it in place and the other for the air line. Making the cups x" tall and modifying the axle side to accept the bag. I think I have it figured out, but just looking for some pics if anyone has any.

I'm also planning on using the Edelbrock coil over kit for the front and thought about getting the edelbrock ias shocks for the rear. Thoughts on them??
Old 10-23-2010, 02:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive got the ART Coolride rear kit on my car w/manual air valves, it works great, better than any metal coil springs I had on my car todate!
Check my photo albums for pictures.

Take a look at these threads by JasonWW
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...cks-350-a.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html

I had the Edelbrock IAS shocks(still have them if your interested) on my car, I thought they seemed as good as Bilsteins I've had before, but not nearly as good as the Koni SA's I have on the car now!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-23-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Ive got the ART Coolride rear kit on my car w/manual air valves, it works great, better than any metal coil springs I had on my car todate!
Check my photo albums for pictures.

Take a look at these threads by JasonWW
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...cks-350-a.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...-trans-am.html

I had the Edelbrock IAS shocks(still have them if your interested) on my car, I thought they seemed as good as Bilsteins I've had before, but not nearly as good as the Koni SA's I have on the car now!

I'll let you know about the IAS shocks, I found a guy that can get me a sick deal on some affco shocks so I may go that route in the rear. You had the edelbrock coilovers right? If so how do you like them?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

The IAS seemed really good, but the rears seem to work better with coil springs than with airsprings, IMO they seem very similiar to Bilsteins(older valving). They're not perfect, but still a good shock. The Koni SA shocks I have now work great with the Airsprings. I also run shock shaft mounted bump stops, which seems to work better IMO compared to the factory bump stops I removed (smoother BS transition, and more suspension compression travel).

With the bags fully deflated (using the GC shaft mounted BS) there's still a good 1/4" before any metal to metal contact

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-23-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

What bump stop did you use? Did they come with the konis? I'll look into the konis for the rear.

I'm also planing on building a watts link to replace the Panhard bar, even though there are some members that say that it can't be done I figure with the rear bags, watts and good shocks I can actually make this thing ride nice and handle great.

Thanks for the reply man
Old 10-23-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, bump stops don't come with the rear Koni SA's.
The bump stops are Ground Control, soft progressive, strut bump stops.(2nd from right)
http://www.ground-control-store.com/...umpstop_fs.jpg
Yeah, I've got the Fays2 Watts-link on my car right now, it rides and handles great with the air springs!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 10-23-2010 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Well I emailed a few companies about a universal watts link and I think I have one picked out. I need to assemble my new rear end before I order a watts, but I found a set of firestone 9000 bags and am probably going to buy them this week to get that going. I need to order the cups and then get my car on the lift and start doing work. I'm not going to buy the fays2 watts, no offense to anyone, but I do alot of fabrication and know that I can put one together for probably half the price or less. Stay tuned and I'll get some pics of everything over the next few months. It will be kind of slow and take place over the winter, but next spring I should have an fbody that actually rides nice and handles great

Thanks for the help 99Bluz28, I have been following your setups for a while so I gotta give you props for that
Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, if you've got the fabrication skill to build your own watts-link, I would definitely say do it. I believe there's a couple of people here that have made their own Watts-link. Good luck with your build, and keep us posted on the progress.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:26 PM
TECH Addict

Heres a couple cool vids I have found.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J4xkHuP7QY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43_mH1euXrk

And another that shows the difference between a PHB and a Watts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8cJCqWkfgk

Last edited by Turnin20s; 10-28-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM

Those are cool videos, I always wondered what the actual benefits of the Watts Link was to a panhard bar. That last video is good stuff.

99Bluz28: What's your normal ride height on the airbags? And where did you mount the compressor/tank?
Old 10-29-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Das Nic
Those are cool videos, I always wondered what the actual benefits of the Watts Link was to a panhard bar. That last video is good stuff.

99Bluz28: What's your normal ride height on the airbags? And where did you mount the compressor/tank?
Thanks I thought that they were pretty cool too. The last one really shows the difference between the 2 setups
Old 10-29-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

Well its starting.....Paid for my bags today, used off of ebay Firestone F9000 bags for $65 shipped for the pair

Now I just have to save a little cash and I'll have some more parts here pretty soon
Old 10-29-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

My normal rear ride height is 26.25" with 275/40/18 tires. No compressor or tank hooked up yet, I don't change my ride height very often, so I'm still running manual air valves to each air bag.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
My normal rear ride height is 26.25" with 275/40/18 tires. No compressor or tank hooked up yet, I don't change my ride height very often, so I'm still running manual air valves to each air bag.
You have any pics of the valves and how their setup? I was thinking about just using schrader valves mounted under the trim panels. I don't want it to be adjustable as far as ride height goes, but I want it adjustable for ride comfort and handling<<---the more important one LOL And what PSI do you usually run in your bags? I thought I read between 55 & 60. I guess I need to start taking some measurements and set up my ride height here pretty soon
Old 11-01-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

For air pressure, 45-55psi with new air springs, after you've had them a while 50-60psi. To air them up I bought an air inflation kit w/2 1/4" elbow fittting’s, and 2 Schrader valves (Tire valve), and a nice long length of 1/8" air line.
PM sent.

Quick Reply: Rear Air Bags?