Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel hop..TA or LCA bushings??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel hop..TA or LCA bushings??

As the title implies, I finally got my car running good again and the engine is running good, but I've been getting some wheel hop and thumping from the car ever since then. I replaced the trans mount today with an Energy suspension mount and I'm still getting it, as well as the shifter moving up a bit under acceleration. So would this be a torque arm bushing or possibly the lca bushings?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:53 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get under the car and visually inspect the torque arm bushing. The torque arm bushing itself is pretty prone to breakdown depending on the mileage and abuse. The transmission mount should really keep the trans/shifter from moving around. Since you are having some wheel hop I would really look into a good set of aftermarket rear lower control arms and a set of lower control arm relocation brackets, these two parts should pretty much eliminate any wheel hop you are having.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Alright I'll take a look at the TA bushing, just wanted to check and see which one would likely be the problem.
As for LCA's and relocation brackets I'll be looking into those in the near future.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...hop-issue.html
Old 12-14-2011, 08:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FocusVince
Alright I'll take a look at the TA bushing, just wanted to check and see which one would likely be the problem.
As for LCA's and relocation brackets I'll be looking into those in the near future.
That would definitely be a good idea. Another thing to think about would shocks. If you have a set of old, worn out shocks then they could also be causing you some issues. If the shocks are in decent condition the LCA's and relocation brackets will be your ticket. If you are interested in BMR part to help with your wheel/axle hop let me know.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 12-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Kyle has good info on the wheel hop issue. The only other question I have is what motor mounts do you have? You mentioned that even with the new trans mount, the shifter still moves around a lot under acceleration. If you still have factory rubber motor mounts and they are worn out that could be a contributing factor to the shifter movement. Not so much on the wheel hop, but trying to help get all of the little issues resolved.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackLS1Bird
Kyle has good info on the wheel hop issue. The only other question I have is what motor mounts do you have? You mentioned that even with the new trans mount, the shifter still moves around a lot under acceleration. If you still have factory rubber motor mounts and they are worn out that could be a contributing factor to the shifter movement. Not so much on the wheel hop, but trying to help get all of the little issues resolved.
Yup had that problem with mine and ended up being my motor mounts
Old 12-14-2011, 10:52 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Vince. Is your wheel hop under "extreme" acceleration or just during normal cruising with the occasional stoplight launch?

ramey
Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by turyg ls1
Yup had that problem with mine and ended up being my motor mounts
I didnt have the issue with the shifter since the car was an auto at the time but my y-pipe did knock on the floor. Put poly motor mounts in and it was good. Just something to keep in mind.

Quick Reply: wheel hop..TA or LCA bushings??