Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Bilstein shocks smoother ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein shocks smoother ride?

I am looking for some front shocks and have heard great things about bilsteins, but what I'm curious to know is if they ride smoother or more comfortable than other oem equivalent shocks?I use my car as a daily driver so Im really looking more for comfort than anything else, but don't mind better handling.So the real question is would bilstein shocks be right for me or if not, is there any other shocks you could recommend?
Old 12-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

IMO, Bilsteins are the best riding shocks available for f-bodies - especially up front.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:04 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, we've installed several, several sets all with excellent results. Are they the best of the best, no. Are they a great budget option for those looking to improve handling without getting divorced from the wife, YES!

Erik@Lashway
Old 12-23-2011, 12:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I think Bilstein's would fit the bill for your wants. But I'd have to strongly recommend all 4, not just the fronts. The rears will be just as bad (well worse actually as they start out with more screwed up valving). And the rears matter a lot for ride because of the solid axle arrangement.

I have SLP Bilstein's (which are actually the same as HD's these days) for $379.99/set.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-23-2011, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've got bilsteins, w/vogtland springs, and the car rides grate, what a diffirent from the orginal stuff
Old 12-24-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

OE stocks are crap, so it's hard to see how they wouldn't ride better.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hijack the thread but will bilstein match good with hotchkis springs?
Old 12-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

just replaced my stock front decarbon with so hd bilsteins and rear monroe shocks with matching rear bilsteins. all i can say is what a difference car rides way better. also i have stock springs.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Bilstiens for a stock-ish setup or a budget lowering but Koni's seems to be all the rave for the BEST ride quality hands down. Getting a set soon.

Stock springs? Bilstiens will be fine.
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Not to hijack the thread but will bilstein match good with hotchkis springs?
Not really, no.

Bilstein's work best with factory ride height, or if you have the SLP aftermarket springs then the SLP Bilstein's were designed for those springs.

Hotchkis springs are stiffer and lower than the SLP aftermarket springs, and really the Bilstein's were designed for factory ride height.

should you decide that you do get the Bilstein's with the lowered hotchkis springs you will initially feel that the ride quality is GREAT but after 20K miles you'll feel that the ride is bumpy and harsh, that's cuz probably the Bilstein's BLEW due to the ride height which the Bilstein's weren't designed for, and they blow their internals.

Your call.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has SLP Bilsteins and the ride is very good... not to mention it handles significantly better.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I have BMR one inch drop springs and SLP Bilseins and I absolutely love them. My car had 10,000 miles when I replaced the stock ones so they were still in good condition when I swapped. The difference was night and day. They are leaps and bounds over the stock junk. If you are looking for a vast improvement go ahead get ya a set you won't be disappointed. However if your car has more than a one inch drop I cannot say for sure but would not recommend them. I think the SLP ones are a little better for a 1 inch drop. The ride is actually kinda of luxurious for a sport suspension. It also depends on your driving habits. If you just cruise and dive easily then the Bilsteins are great. But for a spirited driver that just lives and breaths the twisties then spring for the optimum Koni's cause they are hands down the best. Now don't get me wrong these shocks perform well and ride lovely and everyone I talk to that has them just absolutely loves them and will tell that because of the way they ride. I will definitely buy them again. Absolutely beyond a shadow of a doughy. Worth every single penny in ride quality and handling over the stock horseshit that's one them from the factory.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlos01SS
Not really, no.

Bilstein's work best with factory ride height, or if you have the SLP aftermarket springs then the SLP Bilstein's were designed for those springs.

Hotchkis springs are stiffer and lower than the SLP aftermarket springs, and really the Bilstein's were designed for factory ride height.

should you decide that you do get the Bilstein's with the lowered hotchkis springs you will initially feel that the ride quality is GREAT but after 20K miles you'll feel that the ride is bumpy and harsh, that's cuz probably the Bilstein's BLEW due to the ride height which the Bilstein's weren't designed for, and they blow their internals.

Your call.
Bilsteins were designed for factory ride height...? The only cars that got Bilstein shocks also had 1" SLP lowering springs on them. Everyone uses Bilsteins with every lowering spring out there. BMR, Hotchkis, Eibach, SLP, Strano, you name it, with great results. Koni's are the best but are about triple the cost.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:16 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

A few points:

1. Koni's aren't triple the cost. They can be, but they aren't. You can get into Koni's for $855/set, or about 55% more than Bilstein's. Triple would be around $1140 and to get to that price you'd have to be looking to run DA's at one end and SA's at the other.

2. I make no bones about the fact the Koni's are a superior shock for lowering cars. But the money often gets in the way and Bilstein's are the next best choice in my opinion.

3. Bilstein HD's back when weren't meant for lowering springs at all. Since then the valving has changed slightly to the SLP valving (now all the same) and they do an ok job with springs, at for a year or two. So it depends on how you want to look at it, but no the Bilstein's are not the ideal for lowering springs. And bear in mind that the stock SLP springs were not very low, and quite soft... more "in between" stock and lowering springs really.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found the SLP Bilsteins not-bad in the front, ride-wise. The back, those
(which at the time were same rate as HD version) were unpleasantly hard
with either the Hotchkiss or the stock springs, and I ditched them for a
way classy pair of Gabriel air shocks. These feel fine for control (I assume
a decently high rate since they are for load handling) and less of an ***
pounding, somewhat.

But if you don't know what you want, adjustable takes care of that.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
Bilstiens for a stock-ish setup or a budget lowering but Koni's seems to be all the rave for the BEST ride quality hands down.
I have to disagree with the rave ... IMO, Bilsteins ride better than Konis - less impact harshness.
The ride is actually kinda of luxurious for a sport suspension.
You won't find too many people describing Konis that way. I've had both and understand why a lot of folks prefer Konis. But on rough and rutted city streets, Bilsteins cushion the bumps better.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Very well presented Sam Strano. You've eased off a little with presentation and it's nice. You are the authority when it come to F-body suspensions. You earned it. Elise if you listen listen to anyone here listen to Sam he knows his stuff. What ever you do don't go with KYB. I have only heard bad things with them. Especially after a few miles. I will have to see with these Bilstiens if they hold out with the drop spring. I believe Sam was right when he said HD's and SLP's are now one in the same. Shelf stock on both was non-exsistent when I ordered mine and had to wait 3 months for them. I heard then that because of demand the SLP's were the same a HD's. So who really knows. However that seems to be the consensus. I have heard that from Sam now and Mike at the WS6 store then when I ordered. So if these are indeed HD's like Sam said I would not want a stiffer valving in back. Not one degree firmer. That's why I said for a relatively tame driver they are great. Just like Jimmyblue said the rears can be bangy on semi rough roads. But highway cruising these things rule. My ideal set-up would be a nice set of adj. Koni's for the rear. Just because I am more into ride quality than handling. The Bilstiens deliver all I want there.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Veteran

And one more thing: My Eibach/Bilstein kit has been in since 2006. They're tired and the springs are sagged. Lately it has been unpleasant to drive just because of the Mexican Hotrod Low rider ride in the back end over expansion joints on the highway and when I hit big enough dips in the road, the front end bottoms out. After I heard that a couple weeks ago I made the decision to redo this setup with Koni/Strano.

Last edited by bayer-z28; 12-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to admit the bilsteins i have made a huge difference in ride. When all i had was just the shocks and didnt know at the time they were bilsteins i was like these cant be the stock shocks because the car recovers quick from dips and bumps and very smooth ride. When you want to throw it into a corner way less body roll. So i looked underneath and not suprised it had bilsteins from the previous owner.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned Scammer

Would stranos and bilsteins be good? Im all stock suspension and its a dd

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks smoother ride?