Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Considering lowering springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering lowering springs

I already have the Bilstein shocks on my car, never really considered lowering it until I realized I already had the springs off. Anyways, I really like the look of a lowered Camaro a lot more. The car feels low enough already, it's getting tough to get in an out of it, especially when you're 6'2.

Anyways, I have a few questions on the springs.

1. What's the best bargain springs out there? Affordable but good bang for the buck?

2. How much should I lower it? I do plan on adding headers to this car, and I know ground clearance will be an issue with headers.

3. How much ride quality will I lose with lowering it? Car already rides like ****, in my opinion, how much worse can it get?

4. What will I gain from lowering it? noticeable increase maneuverability? better MPG's? will shocks wear out faster?

5. Are there any cons to lowering the car that I should be aware of?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Strano all they way!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bang for the buck: Summit racing brand springs. $170. I have the rears done on my car and they look great.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skopers3
Bang for the buck: Summit racing brand springs. $170. I have the rears done on my car and they look great.
Can you post some pictures?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem with most lowering springs is they will start to sag and wont be even on all corners. Call sam strano and he can help you out.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best bang for the buck is to cut your stock springs. Costs $0. I did it and it's got a nice stance and rides fine. I also have Bilstein shocks.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Latch
Best bang for the buck is to cut your stock springs. Costs $0. I did it and it's got a nice stance and rides fine. I also have Bilstein shocks.
Damn, how the hell did you get your Camaro to hit 12's with so little in mods?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
Damn, how the hell did you get your Camaro to hit 12's with so little in mods?
Good air is certainly helpful. Also the lightweight driver mod.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car rides bad with stock springs and Bilsteins, what's your tire pressure set at now?
Best budget springs, Vogtland.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would do it right the first time and get some nice springs and shocks. I got my Strano springs from the classifieds on here. They were still new, the guy never installed them, got them for a great deal. I also saw a set of new Koni shocks in the for sale section a few days ago. There are good deals to be had on quality stuff, you don't have to get the cheapest crap out there, just saying.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:56 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I already have the Bilstein shocks on my car, never really considered lowering it until I realized I already had the springs off. Anyways, I really like the look of a lowered Camaro a lot more. The car feels low enough already, it's getting tough to get in an out of it, especially when you're 6'2.

Anyways, I have a few questions on the springs.

1. What's the best bargain springs out there? Affordable but good bang for the buck?

2. How much should I lower it? I do plan on adding headers to this car, and I know ground clearance will be an issue with headers.

3. How much ride quality will I lose with lowering it? Car already rides like ****, in my opinion, how much worse can it get?

4. What will I gain from lowering it? noticeable increase maneuverability? better MPG's? will shocks wear out faster?

5. Are there any cons to lowering the car that I should be aware of?
Here are some answers for your questions.

1. We believe the BMR lowering springs are definitely one of the best "bang for the buck" lowering springs out there. I am sure I can get you a set within your budget.

2. Our lowering spring lower the car right around 1.25", this gives it that nice lowered stance without sacrificing too much ground clearance. I would have to say that most of our customers have headers that use our lowering springs.

3. With a good set of lowering springs it is optimal to have a quality set of shocks, this will keep the ride quality good. A good set of shock is the key component to having a good ride quality with lowering sprigs.

4. Lowering springs will lower the center of gravity of the car which will give it much more planted, controlled feel. It will definitely be a noticeable difference. If you are using the lowering springs with factory shocks the springs will definitely wear the factory shocks out faster. This is why we recommend a goodd quality set of aftermarket shocks.

5. I think you hav eit all pretty much covered. When you lower you shouldn't see any real suprises.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Latch
Good air is certainly helpful. Also the lightweight driver mod.
Light weight? I'm not that heavy, maybe 185lbs? I removed my spare tire and had a 1/4 tank of gas.

Elevation at my track was 190 feet, pretty low. Did you hold the brake in for your launches? Because I didn't.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Regular

You will get typical responses from most of the forum members "This is best because I own it" yada yada yada.

The reality of it is that a lot of people cannot truly say which spring is the best when they've only owned one brand.

I have Strano springs and I like them, WHY? because my car does not scrape on anything at all. Granted I have Koni shocks but I am very satisfied with the Strano springs. Keep in mind that I have not done the removal of the perch rubber isolatar piece. My car dropped about a solid inch and nothing more. So in terms of looks, it's not slammed like Eibachs...BUT it looks much better than stock and it probably doesn't scrape as much as Eibachs, which typically look really good... but naturally scrape a lot.

I'm sure other companies like BMR make a good spring too.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

+1 for BMR, im on stock shocks and just running their springs. my car rides very well, i dont bottom out anywhere either(i have longtubes)...just remember your not driving an SUV lol. it gave me a nice drop without being "slammed" and rides great.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SSickLS1SS
+1 for BMR, im on stock shocks and just running their springs. my car rides very well, i dont bottom out anywhere either(i have longtubes)...just remember your not driving an SUV lol. it gave me a nice drop without being "slammed" and rides great.

Your car's stance is perfect! You have an amazing looking ride.

Our springs give the cars a good stance without comprimising too much ride quality or ground clearance.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Light weight? I'm not that heavy, maybe 185lbs? I removed my spare tire and had a 1/4 tank of gas.

Elevation at my track was 190 feet, pretty low. Did you hold the brake in for your launches? Because I didn't.
I only weigh about 130. And the air was basically perfect the night of that run, although I have run a few 12s in warmer weather... but usually it'll run a 13.0.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Monroe Shocks and the Pro Kit. The rear of my car sags a bit. Going to put some heater hose on the springs and it will be legit.

My car seems much tighter, not so floaty. I did it for the looks mainly.

Parts store shocks and pro kit works just fine for me in my race to work every morning.

Do research and come to you own conclusion. I wouldnt claim my setup to be better than what Sam can do but for what I have into it, its just right.

Quick Reply: Considering lowering springs